ADVERTISEMENT

My daughter is returning to California

Harrisburg Dave

Dec 29, 2016
My daughter is a senior at Chapman University in Orange, Orange County, CA. She is flying back to Cali tomorrow in order to take care of her housing, car, school, and work issues.

Recently she and five of her friends pulled the trigger on a lease of an incredible property in a lovely neighborhood just off Rte 55.

It is close to John Wayne airport, Disneyland, Anaheim, the beaches. The property was a private home with a pool, hot tub, covered patio with fan, landscaped/fenced yard, three car garage and six parking places on a wide driveway, laundry, fully furnished, etc. The owner was operating it as an Air BNB and getting over $2,500 a week. I wish my wife and I lived there.

My daughter has her car parked outside her current residence. She found a young man to sublease from her and we did all the paperwork to get her sublease approved by her old landlord, a decent guy who worked with her.

I called the new landlord and we talked about the current situation. He told me that with the way Cali was handling things he expected that the tourism based economy would continue to crash. Facing a loss of income he decided to lease to the kids for a year long lease and fix things at a reduced cost affordable to college kids while he rides the situation out.

I know many of you have kids and grandkids who are probably in a similar position as my daughter. Her school is planning to open in the Fall, but nothing is certain. They have 14 task groups working on issues related to bringing a university with over 8,000 students back to operation. They have retained a famed epidemiologist from UCLA to consult with them. The University President has done an excellent job of keeping communication open with parents and students.

It is getting a bit late to take care of all the things that have to be done in order for a student to go to school this year. What are the rest of you doing?

Reactions: Bob78
My brother got a sweet deal on a penthouse apartment in Philly. Typically it’s leased to businesses for business travelers. But no travel, no rent.

Tell your daughter to transfer and get the hell out of that joke of a state lol

It is a good school and she has a great scholarship.

Southern California is a beautiful place. The weather is fantastic. They have beaches, mountains, desserts, culture, lovely towns, excellent schools, and culture.

Maybe I will move there when James coaches USC?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT