ADVERTISEMENT

My challenge to the Paterno haters and their BS logic

I'm sure they consider the end of Lloyd Carr and Rich Rod as their dark period. And that's the point. Outside of OSU in the very early 2000's, this conference was wide open.
And they still haven't won a Big championship...the dark years are long and extended.

They just "laid him off 3 weeks early" or some bs to that effect.

this is why I love the "they fired him after investigating him" BS

he was "retired early" according to that giant sack of possum sh*t Suhey. Except they held 3 separate meetings to fire Joe. and none were legal, either by their bylaws or PA state law.

I read tweets like this:

and I smack my head.

Joe had FOUR losing seasons from 2000-2004, DURING the alleged cover up of Sandusky.

ok haters, explain how that logic works.

I'll wait.
Seriously? FTR this is just devil's advocate.

If the Sandusky stuff broke back then Joe would have been toast.

In reality I my problem lies with C/S/S as far administrators.

It's obviously a travesty that people at TSM walked away from a mess they were most responsible for.

Seriously? FTR this is just devil's advocate.

If the Sandusky stuff broke back then Joe would have been toast.

In reality I my problem lies with C/S/S as far administrators.

It's obviously a travesty that people at TSM walked away from a mess they were most responsible for.
That's when it broke, at least as far as Joe knew. Joe was informed by MM in 2001 and got MM in contact with people he thought would properly handle it.

the end of L Carr?...he retired in 2007. what are you saying....if Paterno retired after the 05 season (which was supposed to be his last), and let's assume Tom Bradley took over, would we have won more than 1 Big Ten championship (05 was Paterno's)?......I don't know....maybe.

I guess Bradley would've benched Morelli for Clark in 07 (probably lose 1-2 games that year max), and recruiting would've been better to help us in the consequential years. but obviously, we won 08....so to predict much more after that is tough.....2011, D-Day happened....so we're talking about 06, 07, 09, '10. 2007 & 2009....you might have something there.....but obviously, no guarantees.

to go back to your main point....I agree, Joe stayed way too long. not sure when the right time was....probably after the 1999 season, he should've bowed out.....though, he knew that season ended in a whimper.

after what happened in 05....gosh, who wouldn't have been re-energized after that (though, what a way to go out...if he chose to do so.....talk about going out on top).....had a great run from 05-09.....but the bad recruiting led to the on-field downfall in 2010.....kinda got lucky in 2011...def overachieved.
If Joe would have left after that disastrous end to the 99 season, we would have stocked up on talent with the next HC (not Bradley). We would have absolutely killed it the next decade unless our next HC hire was a complete flop. In 2000 we would have had our pick of any head coach in college football.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
If Joe would have left after that disastrous end to the 99 season, we would have stocked up on talent with the next HC (not Bradley). We would have absolutely killed it the next decade unless our next HC hire was a complete flop. In 2000 we would have had our pick of any head coach in college football.
More I'm thinking about it, you're probably right. Oh well

So if you're in your job and you know things are going to turn around soon and look really good, would you retire?
If I knew I was holding the program back because in my mid 70's to mid 80's I could not do the same things that I did when I was younger then yeah, I would retire.

That's when it broke, at least as far as Joe knew. Joe was informed by MM in 2001 and got MM in contact with people he thought would properly handle it.
I was referring to it becoming public.

I'm in no way implying that factored into how Joe handled it.

Something like that, no matter how innocent he is/was, would have been used to push him out if they weren't winning on the field.

Again, I was just playing devil's advocate. You saw how it was used in 2011 when he was retiring at the end of the season.

Some of you guys gotta move on man. Or get a life.

If "Paterno Loyalists" want to continue to fight the fight --- fair enough

They're not really getting a very high ROI on their time though. I don't see very many minds getting changed as regards Paterno.

Even the Paternos themselves gave up, they quit on the NCAA lawsuit.

If "Paterno Loyalists" want to continue to fight the fight --- fair enough

They're not really getting a very high ROI on their time though. I don't see very many minds getting changed as regards Paterno.

Even the Paternos themselves gave up, they quit on the NCAA lawsuit.
Loyalty to factual accuracy is easily mistaken as loyalty to Paterno by his critics.

Yes... Jerry's boss at The second Mile. #Swimtrunks

Which assistant do you think would have been head coach if Joe retired in 1999? Could have actually been a good thing because he would have been so busy that he probably doesn't end up in the shower in 2001. MM would have walked in to an empty locker room that night to put his shoes away and would have not seen abuse... so nothing changes really.

If I knew I was holding the program back because in my mid 70's to mid 80's I could not do the same things that I did when I was younger then yeah, I would retire.

Your post is ageist, just because someone is in their 70's or 80's doesn't mean they are incapable. Some people lack capacity regardless of their age. Which brings me to my next point... You are holding this message board back. It's time to retire.

Yes... Jerry's boss at The second Mile. #Swimtrunks

Which assistant do you think would have been head coach if Joe retired in 1999? Could have actually been a good thing because he would have been so busy that he probably doesn't end up in the shower in 2001. MM would have walked in to an empty locker room that night to put his shoes away and would have not seen abuse... so nothing changes really.

Your post is ageist, just because someone is in their 70's or 80's doesn't mean they are incapable. Some people lack capacity regardless of their age. Which brings me to my next point... You are holding this message board back. It's time to retire.

On the ageism, Joe's record in the last five years of his career was just fine. We have three major bowls and were one play from being undefeated (and some bad calls) and probably playing in a MNC game.

Joe would have left the program in great shape if not for the JS debacle. O'Brien inherited a lot of talent including 3 very good LBs. Just think if that team also had Redd, J. Brown, Fera, etc.

But that's not the point. Joe was feeble, didn't make recruiting trips, etc. I think he should have retired after 2005. I think he was recruiting based on reputation but I still think he stayed too long.

Don't have a problem with that. But there is a difference in thinking he should have stayed too long versus "he was selfish" and "he held the BOT hostage".

Reactions: Zenophile
On the ageism, Joe's record in the last five years of his career was just fine. We have three major bowls and were one play from being undefeated (and some bad calls) and probably playing in a MNC game.

Agreed. During his final season the only loss he suffered was to Alabama. PSU was rolling.

Don't have a problem with that. But there is a difference in thinking he should have stayed too long versus "he was selfish" and "he held the BOT hostage".

I was pretty well on the "Joe should go" train for a while, but at the same time, I thought he earned the right to leave when he wanted to.

Reactions: indynittany
I remember reading two things. One was that Joe didn't know what to do with himself if he wasn't coaching football. He said he didn't fish, golf, etc. Football was all he knew. The other was that he knew Bear Bryant died shortly after retiring and he was afraid that the same would happen to him.

I think Joe was a bit selfish not wanting to let go but the blame lies with the administration for not doing their job.

I remember reading two things. One was that Joe didn't know what to do with himself if he wasn't coaching football. He said he didn't fish, golf, etc. Football was all he knew. The other was that he knew Bear Bryant died shortly after retiring and he was afraid that the same would happen to him.

I think Joe was a bit selfish not wanting to let go but the blame lies with the administration for not doing their job.
Again, I've got no problem. There are those that want to start Tommy over Trace...there are those that don't think CJF can coach....opinion is what makes the world go around. But the program was in good shape...could it have been better? Of course, but every school can say that outside of Alabama.

They were afraid of Paterno and he knew it. That is one of gettingmyjive's points.

That's not a Paterno problem, its a BOT problem. Its like complaining the Unions have power. At the end of the day, its the BOT who holds the power...if they were afraid to use it, that's on them.

Reactions: bdgan
And if JVP knew back in the 70s why did he let his kids (and later grand-kids) play with JS? Anyone just has to apply the slightest amount of logic and knows that JVP did nothing illegal or immoral. There are three reasons this is still the way it is:

Tearing down an icon gets a lot more press than saying he followed the rules.Stupid sheeple that simply listen to what the click-driven media puts out.Haters that want to believe JVP couldn't really conduct Success with Honor.

More than a bit. He lost me when he said during the dark years "The fans will
just have to lower their expectations.".

Reactions: getmyjive11
Joe's record? During those years he was a CINO.
This. He didn't recruit, he didn't call plays and he barely did anything but keep the schedule moving during practice and ask to run the ISO every now and then. He called his starting QB "Blocker" instead of Bolden. He had to sit up in the booth and ask what the hell was going on during games.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
This. He didn't recruit, he didn't call plays and he barely did anything but keep the schedule moving during practice and ask to run the ISO every now and then. He called his starting QB "Blocker" instead of Bolden. He had to sit up in the booth and ask what the hell was going on during games.

what is that I hear? Sounds like a lot of whining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT