ADVERTISEMENT

My Brother passed yesterday a great PSU fan i'm heart broken guys.

He was 10 years my senior got me to listen on the radio to my first PSU game vs Ohio St. in 1963, 2 weeks after he was discharged from the Navy, i was 11. Got hooked on the radio, said this new coach JVP is going to make a difference here, i think he was right. In 74 we started going to single games for 2 years. Were season ticket holders from 76 until the step program took place. We sat first row WA from 78 until step. We talked through every game on the phone when they were on TV. I will miss him greatly and PSU games are not going to be the same. For those of you who are religious i would appreciate your prayers. I truly am heartbroken, Hail To The Lion, and Fight On State are probably going to make me well with tears. I needed to reach out to someone Sorry for the rambling, i'm here reading every day since the plot it days, and would feed my brother the insight from you guys. Thank you in advance. Gary
And it's just a box of rain
I don't know who put it there
Believe it if you need it
Or leave it if you dare
And it's just a box of rain
Or a ribbon for your hair
Such a long long time to be gone
And a short time to be there

He was 10 years my senior got me to listen on the radio to my first PSU game vs Ohio St. in 1963, 2 weeks after he was discharged from the Navy, i was 11. Got hooked on the radio, said this new coach JVP is going to make a difference here, i think he was right. In 74 we started going to single games for 2 years. Were season ticket holders from 76 until the step program took place. We sat first row WA from 78 until step. We talked through every game on the phone when they were on TV. I will miss him greatly and PSU games are not going to be the same. For those of you who are religious i would appreciate your prayers. I truly am heartbroken, Hail To The Lion, and Fight On State are probably going to make me well with tears. I needed to reach out to someone Sorry for the rambling, i'm here reading every day since the plot it days, and would feed my brother the insight from you guys. Thank you in advance. Gary
Verse 5 of the alma mater seems appropriate.

Soon we know a guiding hand
Will disperse our little band,
Yet we'll ever loyal stand
State to thee, State to thee

So sad to hear Hazleton.. my thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
Hazleton, sorry about your loss.
We used to tailgate for years next to a a crew from Hazleton. We had a spot at Porter and Hastings, just south of the outdoor track and field area. We shared food which was great since "Chef Bobby" was awesome. Was this your crew?

Sorry for your loss, Gary. What a special bond you shared with your brother. Prayers being sent to you and your family. Jerry. (HHS class of '72, formerly from McAdoo)

Reactions: HazletonLion
About a year ago, I read this in a reprint from a funeral one hundred years ago, which I found strangely comforting:

Like the waves upon the ocean,
We rise up.
And dance across the sands of time
For a short while.
Then recede back into the darkness from which we rose.

So very sorry for your loss.

Very sorry for your loss. Try and focus on all the great times you guys had, they're a blessing.

Thoughts and prayers for you & your family, Gary.

Sorry to hear this for you. My condolences.
My Penn State fandom is largely linked to my brother who is 9 years older than me. Like you, I take bits I read about Penn State here and share with him as this kind of technology is beyond his grasp. I had the great fortune of watching the Islanders’ playoff run with him at his house this year, bringing us back to watching games together in his room in the 80s when he was old enough to have his own TV and I was young enough to follow along. It occurred to me watching these playoffs that these moments will live on with me after he is gone.
I heard this from a hospice social worker a while back (paraphrasing as best as I can): The deceased are in a better place while the living are left to either mourn their loss or choose to live with their memories.
Godspeed to you and your family.

Reactions: MrDibbs
You have my condolences

My heartfelt condolences, Gary.

What would you consider to be fitting tribute to him? For example, did he have a specific pregame ritual, or was there something particular he wore to big games? I would be very much on board with celebrating your brother.
He always wore a white PSU ball cap. Game days were usually an Italian cold cut hoagie. Thank you.

Hazleton, sorry about your loss.
We used to tailgate for years next to a a crew from Hazleton. We had a spot at Porter and Hastings, just south of the outdoor track and field area. We shared food which was great since "Chef Bobby" was awesome. Was this your crew?
We parked at the handicapped section by the softball field. Our tailgating involved hoagies, cold boxed pizza (Senapes) , Middlesworth BBQ chips, and liquid refreshments. In all those years we only grilled once or twice. Thank You.

Reactions: TheGLOV

You have my sincere condolences as does your entire family sir.

Cherish those memories.

While very sad to hear about the loss of your brother, your post is truly great sir!

I will say prayers on his behalf Gary.

May he RIP.

-Glov

@HazletonLion -- my thoughts and prayers are with your brother, your family, and you.

The pain and grief you feel are probably acute, and will not go away magically. Just take it one day at a time is the best advice I can offer.

PSU games this year will likely be a challenge for you. That said, we all know an end is coming -- just not how and when it will occur. In that context, I urge you to celebrate the long life of your brother, that he introduced you to a great team to follow, and how much fun the two of you had with that shared passion over the years. When PSU plays this season, raise a toast to your dear brother. And once you get past that, do your best to continue to root for and to support the team. Your brother would have done nothing less, I suspect.

If the board community or myself can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to post as much, and we'll do what we can.

We Are!!!
Thank You Tom

Sorry for your loss and will say a prayer for your family every game this yr!!
- we share great memories and love for family and Joe and PSU!
We used to tailgate at Hastings and Porter— we were part of the eclectic group that sang God Bless America on the hour and follow with We Are Penn State and tailgated together for about 15 years. I’m sure our paths have crossed. God Bless!!! I had taken a break from board due to some of current acrimony, but you and your brother are the type of folks that made me Penn State Proud so long ago!!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Heartfelt sympathies to you and your family. As I type this, I am just returning from a long, somber weekend back in PA. The reason for my trip was to attend my Dad’s memorial service. He passed back in July, however, due to Covid-19 restrictions, we were only recently able have a large enough gathering to appropriately memorialize him.

My loss of such an important role model, like yours, is still very acute, but I have been blessed to know the comfort of family and friends (both new and old) to help allow the healing to begin. Lean on your people - they are the best medicine you’ll find. That said, I’ll share with you some particularly comforting words that were shared with me this summer by an old friend:

I was sad to hear of the death of your dad; I know you guys loved him and he was important to you - always a tough one in a certain sense, although as we grow older, and you guys have, we develop skills and capacities and the dependencies which once were so strong are not so strong, but still love is.

God’s grace and peace to you my friend.

Heartfelt sympathies to you and your family. As I type this, I am just returning from a long, somber weekend back in PA. The reason for my trip was to attend my Dad’s memorial service. He passed back in July, however, due to Covid-19 restrictions, we were only recently able have a large enough gathering to appropriately memorialize him.

My loss of such an important role model, like yours, is still very acute, but I have been blessed to know the comfort of family and friends (both new and old) to help allow the healing to begin. Lean on your people - they are the best medicine you’ll find. That said, I’ll share with you some particularly comforting words that were shared with me this summer by an old friend:

I was sad to hear of the death of your dad; I know you guys loved him and he was important to you - always a tough one in a certain sense, although as we grow older, and you guys have, we develop skills and capacities and the dependencies which once were so strong are not so strong, but still love is.

God’s grace and peace to you my friend.

Well said sir!

Indeed.

So sorry for your loss Hazelton. It sounds like you and he were not just brothers, but great friends as well. I know it will not be an easy road, but cling to the wonderful memories. Celebrate him and your relationship when you are able.

Tennyson wrote "I am part of all that I have met." With that in mind, know your brother lives on not only in you, but all of those whose lives he touched.

Prayers for you and your family.

Hazelton, you and your family are in my prayers.

May the Good Lord hold you all in his comforting arms.

What a blessing to have a big brother like you had. What an example for all.

Always sorry to hear about a family loss. Many, many years ago my mother passed and a somewhat distant friend sent me a note which I have kept to this day, He said "remember to live your life as your mother would have wanted". To me this is a great adage and may apply to your brother, particularly if you were close.

So sorry for your loss. Prayers have been sent

So sorry for your loss, Hazelton. In the future, those incredible memories will make you laugh and cry, maybe at the same time. That’s a life time of love and bonding some never experience. You two were blessed. Prayers for you and your family during this grieving time.

So sorry to hear this, Gary. You obviously had a wonderful relationship with your brother, and for that I'm sure you're grateful. My condolences.

Thanks for sharing your story. Amazing how PSU football brings together people from all walks of life. I lost my Dad in April 2019. I thought I was the only one who discussed the game on the phone as it was being played. Give it time, the tears will turn to smiles. May he rest in peace.

Hazelton , so very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother .... sincerest condolences for you and your family .... may The Good Lord wrap you all in His loving arms

So sorry for your loss @HazletonLion . It's great you and your brother were so close.

First row of WA? You saw some classics down at that end zone, including Stonehands catch in '82. I sat with my brother two sections away from you in the 2nd row of SJ It's a great memory. I'm sure you two shared many more memories. I'll drink one tonight in memory of your brother.

ADVERTISEMENT