ADVERTISEMENT

My 2 cent, the B10 leaking the idea of cancelling the season to the media...

Hero17

Nov 10, 2011
What is nagging at me is the B10 leaking the idea of cancelling the fall football season to the media to gauge the reaction. They knew what it would be, but went ahead and cancelled it anyway. I also never underestimate the greed and ego of people in power.

1) greed - That is a huge about of money they are giving up not playing in the fall, do they really think they can pull off a spring season? Maybe the Pac12 plays in the spring also and the rose bowl is the *NC game, there will be TV revenue for games played and the Pac12 will finally have a team in the playoffs (lol) but logistically can they pull it off? Who knows.

2) ego - I'm sure most college presidents/powers that be, think they are always the smartest guy in the room. Is there a game within the game they are trying to play? Allowing teams to continue to practice, WTF? If the SEC, Big12, ACC play and the B10 suddenly agree to some type of fall season due to "new info available" or some excuse, they will look like saviors, heroes to many the media may even paint it as "leadership" change the decision based on "new info", but they will continue to be idiots to most here regardless.

I just wouldn't be surprised they the B10 is playing some type of game within the game with the fans, media and players which they will never admit on the record if true. Just have to wait and see how it plays out....

peace :)

Reactions: Ski
What is nagging at me is the B10 leaking the idea of cancelling the fall football season to the media to gauge the reaction. They knew what it would be, but went ahead and cancelled it anyway. I also never underestimate the greed and ego of people in power.

1) greed - That is a huge about of money they are giving up not playing in the fall, do they really think they can pull off a spring season? Maybe the Pac12 plays in the spring also and the rose bowl is the *NC game, there will be TV revenue for games played and the Pac12 will finally have a team in the playoffs (lol) but logistically can they pull it off? Who knows.

2) ego - I'm sure most college presidents/powers that be, think they are always the smartest guy in the room. Is there a game within the game they are trying to play? Allowing teams to continue to practice, WTF? If the SEC, Big12, ACC play and the B10 suddenly agree to some type of fall season due to "new info available" or some excuse, they will look like saviors, heroes to many the media may even paint it as "leadership" change the decision based on "new info", but they will continue to be idiots to most here regardless.

I just wouldn't be surprised they the B10 is playing some type of game within the game with the fans, media and players which they will never admit on the record if true. Just have to wait and see how it plays out....

Maybe. But keep in mind that the conference is made up of universities and universities leak. That's just what they do.

When Delany was engineering conference expansion, the competition knew before he was able to save his working documents to his computer files.

How is making a decision that costs them $100 million dollars an example of greed?

What university president is losing money? ADs are losing money. Presidents keep their reputations. Yet they may make money. Presidents shut things down then wait for the ADs to plead for loans.

We've already seen this at PSU. BOT shut things down with the consent decree, then made the AD kiss their feet when they asked for a loan

Maybe. But keep in mind that the conference is made up of universities and universities leak. That's just what they do.

When Delany was engineering conference expansion, the competition knew before he was able to save his working documents to his computer files.
No way did that scrotum head know how to use a computer.

What university president is losing money? ADs are losing money. Presidents keep their reputations. Yet they may make money. Presidents shut things down then wait for the ADs to plead for loans.

We've already seen this at PSU. BOT shut things down with the consent decree, then made the AD kiss their feet when they asked for a loan

Nothing to wait for. That's what will happen. They knew that before the Big Ten made the decision. The only thing that changed was the amount.

This decision is either about money or politics....you decide.

I was just listening to ESPNU radio and the guest said the decision makers didn’t want the responsibility of being on the wrong side of this if the virus ends up having damaging effects on any of the players.

Good thing we don't have an AD.

I was just listening to ESPNU radio and the guest said the decision makers didn’t want the responsibility of being on the wrong side of this if the virus ends up having damaging effects on any of the players.

Hmmmmm. Didn't someone here suggest the same thing?o_O

Did ESPNU explain what the rush was and why they did it five days after they released the schedule? I’m not buying it, sorry. So they’re saying the majority of conferences don’t worry about being on the wrong side of this? I doubt it.

Reactions: Ski and Kiber
If you can convince yourself that 911 was perpetrated by the gov or that there is a pedophile ring being run out of a pizza parlor or that Sandy Hook was hoax or that the Moon landings were faked or that the earth is flat, then the Big Ten sabotaging it's largest money maker is not a giant leap.

The earth is flat you know.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
This decision is either about money or politics....you decide.
Since you are the one deciding how many choices we have why did you even list two? You are an idiot or you are wrong....you decide.

Since you are the one deciding how many choices we have why did you even list two? You are an idiot or you are wrong....you decide.
Wow, you’re so smart. Quite the intimidating little fellow, now go play while the grown ups talk.

Just think who would need to be in a room where Barron was the smartest guy. Whew!

Did ESPNU explain what the rush was and why they did it five days after they released the schedule? I’m not buying it, sorry. So they’re saying the majority of conferences don’t worry about being on the wrong side of this? I doubt it.

AD’s made the schedule, Presidents cancelled the season. This according to the MSU AD yesterday.

100%

There you go again, confusing folks with the facts......:mad:
Please point out the “facts” in that statement. He picked out a number that does not take into account everything else like what the schools will save by not playing football and threw it out there. Then you call it a fact....I can guess where you get your news from.

Reactions: TN Lion
AD’s made the schedule, Presidents cancelled the season. This according to the MSU AD yesterday.

So we are to believe that the ADs took it upon themselves to make a schedule, pick a start date, come up with 10 game format, decide on the Sept 3rd start date, hold a nationally televised press conference led by the conference commissioner announcing the schedule ..... All without the knowledge ot the consent of the school Presidents ?

I admit that I do not know the inner-workings of a University like a guy like "Art". Maybe "Art" can add his 2-cents??? But, it just seems improbable to me that the ADs could pull off all the the coordination, planning, logistics, agreement among 14-members of a Sept 3rd schedule without the Presidents at least knowing this was happening.

Reactions: Ski and PSUFBFAN
So we are to believe that the ADs took it upon themselves to make a schedule, pick a start date, come up with 10 game format, decide on the Sept 3rd start date, hold a nationally televised press conference led by the conference commissioner announcing the schedule ..... All without the knowledge ot the consent of the school Presidents ?

I admit that I do not know the inner-workings of a University like a guy like "Art". Maybe "Art" can add his 2-cents??? But, it just seems improbable to me that the ADs could pull off all the the coordination, planning, logistics, agreement among 14-members of a Sept 3rd schedule without the Presidents at least knowing this was happening.
It’s not very probable however it is possible, and that’s why conspiracy theories are so easily spread.

It’s not very probable however it is possible, and that’s why conspiracy theories are so easily spread.

You have to admit the timing is rather strange & questionable. Even if they did have second thoughts based on new medical information (that was amazingly not available to them 3 days prior), then why not just push back to 9/26? Everyone assume they'd start their schedules on 9/26. When they announced the previous week a start date of 9/3, Kevin Warren was asked the direct question "why such an aggressive date of 9/3, it was not even 1 month away". 3 days prior you are 100% committed to a schedule starting on 9/3. Let's say medical revelations happened over the weekend that caused you to have 2nd-thoughts. ..... Knowing that you do not "need" to start on 9/3, you have a few weeks cushion and can push back to 9/26 VERY easily.... wouldn't it have been more logical to simply post-pone until 9/26 stating that with the new medical information attained over the last few days, you needed more time to review the new medical data.

The competition? Who was competing for Rutgers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT