ADVERTISEMENT

Football Multiple Penn State Football players headed to the Senior Bowl

two of those players are expected to go in the first round: Dotson and Arnold. Why would they play in this game but not in the bowl with their teammates?
They play because this is a Pro showcase. Does beg the question, with so many potential Pro's, why was this team only 7 -6. Everyone has injuries, should have been better prepared. This is not a knock on Franklin, with his extension provides stability. Pressure will mount in 2 - 3 years, looking for championship caliber results, guessing he got the bulk of what he wanted and not just direct compensation.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
two of those players are expected to go in the first round: Dotson and Arnold. Why would they play in this game but not in the bowl with their teammates?
This is a great and yet very frustrating question. Basically those that opted out of the Bowl Game said "the risk of injury in an exhibition isn't worth it", they then turn around and play in an exhibition a month after their last football team practice. Seems this idea would get them more hurt than the bowl game.

They get coached by NFL staff all week and they could still practice all week and decide not to play in game if they get a bit dinged up.

Reactions: bison13
This is a great and yet very frustrating question. Basically those that opted out of the Bowl Game said "the risk of injury in an exhibition isn't worth it", they then turn around and play in an exhibition a month after their last football team practice. Seems this idea would get them more hurt than the bowl game.
Apparently it is expected for them to play in this game as the NFL powers that be want that. Obviously no one in the NFL cares about an Outback game or any of those bowls. The time is coming where first and second rounders will opt out of playoff games. As soon as word gets out that playing in those games is not that important for NFL muckety mucks they will bail as fast as they possibly can. These players only criteria is what the NFL desires. They couldn't care less about PSU teammates, coaches or fans.

Apparently it is expected for them to play in this game as the NFL powers that be want that. Obviously no one in the NFL cares about an Outback game or any of those bowls. The time is coming where first and second rounders will opt out of playoff games. As soon as word gets out that playing in those games is not that important for NFL muckety mucks they will bail as fast as they possibly can. These players only criteria is what the NFL desires. They couldn't care less about PSU teammates, coaches or fans.
Not so sure about your prediction that predicted 1st or 2nd rounders will opt out of playoff games, but I guess we shall see.

Not so sure about your prediction that predicted 1st or 2nd rounders will opt out of playoff games, but I guess we shall see.
It will start with guys who could play but maybe had an injury and recovered whatever. It only takes a few NFL guys to get in their ear and they will opt out like nobody's business. These elite players who get drafted ONLY care about themselves and making an NFL team. To hell with their school. I kinda hope it starts to happen to watch CFB implode. Maybe we can give the game back to true student athletes and let the NFL guys go play in professional minor leagues for a couple years. Or just let them all go directly to the NFL and get them the hell out of college altogether so they stop this charade of masquerading as a student.

Here's another idea. Make them commit to playing 3 years including bowl games. Oh, won't commit to that well no scholarship to PSU and what's more PSU football loses that scholarship to a deserving academic or arts scholarship. Yeah I know never will happen but I like ideas that will shove it where the sun don't shine to these pampered athletes and the programs and people that enable them.

right...and if you are already a first rounder, how much further would you expect to go by playing in a meaningless game and get two weeks of coaching by an NFL coach you may never meet again?

Are they the 29th and 30th picks or do they move up. The Senior Bowl could make a difference.

That he of those players are expected to go in the first round: Dotson and Arnold. Why would they play in this game but not in the bowl with their teammates?
Their coach has never expressed loyalty to the team or school. Why shouid they? Even after a crappy year, he refused to say he was staying to HONOR HIS WORD AND HIS CONTRACT. He is a very greedy person, more concerned about getting more $ than improving the team. I still think he is the coach we need but concerned about his inability tp recognize major mistakes

Last edited:
Their coach has never expressed loyalty to the team or school. Why shouid they? Even after a crappy year, he refused to say he was staying to HONOR HIS WORD AND HIS CONTRACT. He is a very greedy person, more concerned about getting more $ than improving the team. I still think he is the coach we need but concerned about his inability tp recognize major mistakes
The Crying Game here gets more absurd by the minute...

Who cares. They will probably never see them again. You think a raiders coach is going to give a good public review of a player so the chiefs can draft him?
No ... but a Raiders coach might, just might have the ear of the Raiders head of Player Personnel... Head Coach and franchise owner. Nah...they probably don't even know each other....

Lol

No ... but a Raiders coach might, just might have the ear of the Raiders head of Player Personnel... Head Coach and franchise owner. Nah...they probably don't even know each other....

Lol
Not to be argumentative but I have a hard time believing that for a person expected to go in the first round. Why?
  • There is no better test then how a player performs when it counts, more so than in practice or a "friendly"
  • There are two or more years of game film to see how they perform in real games, again, way more valuable than a "friendly"
  • They will have plenty of time to measure a player's skill set at the combine, again, a much better measurable of upside capabilities.
  • I do believe participating in the Sr Bowl will be helpful, but I believe the bowl game is as much or more valuable. Plus, there is the notion that a player MUST put team in front of self even in the pro game. Football is the most impactful team sport. My coach always used to say that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Sitting out your bowl game, turning you back on teammates, letting down your fans, dissing the coaches that developed you, isn't a great sign IMHO>

The phucking CFP ruined all the bowl games ... outside the CFP ...add NIL and transfer portal... what is loyalty to your teammates..

Giving the younger guys a platform to get experience and a chance to play...

Otherwise it is a business... making millionaires out of coaches...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT