ADVERTISEMENT

MSU Played To Win / PSU Played Not To Lose!

With this offense, you need to have the ball to win the game. We haven't been able to sustain drives in the fourth quarter since we went to this offense. Can't be up be up by a little and can't take your foot off the gas ever

agreed. sick of this chickenshit. play to win the ****ing game.

I'm perfectly fine with losses if they are going for the win. This whole performance was disgusting.

Reactions: psuno1
Well the offense was not on the field for that debacle of a winning drive. Yes they sucked but 21 had the door closed but he shut it on his thumb. He then can't track the guy on the winning score. Defense has given up three clutch drives turning wins into losses.

Reactions: WDLion
Well the offense was not on the field for that debacle of a winning drive. Yes they sucked but 21 had the door closed but he shut it on his thumb. He then can't track the guy on the winning score. Defense has given up three clutch drives turning wins into losses.
he was one on one with an NFL player all game. 21 was good. he had a chance to be elite and failed. the criticism are stupid.

Biggest issue I have is this D doesn’t make game changing plays...like recovering a fumble on the goal line, recovering a fumble in the 4th quarter, 17 dropping a pick, 21 dropping a pick....

Game could have turned with any of those.

he was one on one with an NFL player all game. 21 was good. he had a chance to be elite and failed. the criticism are stupid.
Well he had the game in his hands. Do you think that play has to be made or not? I happen to think it had to be made.

Reactions: jmorovich
Biggest issue I have is this D doesn’t make game changing plays...like recovering a fumble on the goal line, recovering a fumble in the 4th quarter, 17 dropping a pick, 21 dropping a pick....

Game could have turned with any of those.
How about 17 not running the pick all the way for TD. he should have easily scored. And naturally, as vs Ohio State? The offense starts inside 40 and goes 3 and out.

Reactions: jmorovich
Just glad franklin and his crew were out recruiting in 25 states last week. The team could have used the coaching clearly.

Reactions: odshowtime
The difference between good teams and championship teams. Championship teams overcome very poor one sided officiating. Championship defenses stop the other team’s offense to prevent a loss during the critical last few seconds of a tight game. Championship QB’s find a way to get the first down to end the game and not run OOB stopping the clock. Not a criticism of Trace, but he just didn’t have “it” today. Penn State is not a championship caliber team this year. I see probably 2 more losses. I had the optimism that PSU would either beat OSU and run the table, or run the table after losing to them, but I have come to the realization that Penn State is not a great team this year.

With this offense, you need to have the ball to win the game. We haven't been able to sustain drives in the fourth quarter since we went to this offense. Can't be up be up by a little and can't take your foot off the gas ever
Agree, this is not the type of offense that dominates when needed. I think the offensive scheme needs to change. It cannot close games out against high level competition.

Exactly, try and win the game and don't run the ball right into their stacked front three times. So what, you get them to burn timeouts. Timeouts mean so little in college football. MSU proved that by driving the length of the field without even using their final timeout!

So last week, according to Franklin, we were a "great" team after our loss but I'm not so sure of that anymore. Wonder where he thinks we are now?

The difference between good teams and championship teams. Championship teams overcome very poor one sided officiating. Championship defenses stop the other team’s offense to prevent a loss during the critical last few seconds of a tight game. Championship QB’s find a way to get the first down to end the game and not run OOB stopping the clock. Not a criticism of Trace, but he just didn’t have “it” today. Penn State is not a championship caliber team this year. I see probably 2 more losses. I had the optimism that PSU would either beat OSU and run the table, or run the table after losing to them, but I have come to the realization that Penn State is not a great team this year.

But I thought Franklin said we WERE a great team, closing in in being an elite team?

These are arguably the most disappointing back-to-back games in Penn State football history.

These are arguably the most disappointing back-to-back games in Penn State football history.

Has a LONG way to go to catch 1999.

But I agree with your subject line, Illinois. I sat there on 3rd down and said to my co-workers that this play had better be a pass. Take the game for yourself and stop relying on somebody else to do it for you. Just like the Rose Bowl, get that first down and they're walking off ringing the Victory Bell.

So last 5 losses were all blown leads in 4rth quarter. Hmm think may be apattern here.
they seem to have a tactic that when the game is on the line, final minutes, their theory is to play to take time off the clock and the best way to do that is run the ball. That's not working. We run the ball, fail to get a first down, punt and the opponent drives the field, scores and wins. Maybe they should change their philosophy. Go for the first downs, the clock starts again and you can let it run down before the next snap. What we are currently doing is obviously not working.

I didn't think MSU was playing to win when they punted very late in the game …… I certainly was wrong!!

How’d that work out?
Franklin always plays not to lose.

Maryland
Illinois
Northwestern
USC
OSU x2
MSU x2

It's painful to watch these games slip away. You can see it coming. Q4 lead, go conservative, and get beat in the final minute. Deja vue all over again and again.

The best matchup should have been Mcsorley passing against a week MSU pass defense. But in crunch time we went with predictable runs against a very good MSU run defense.

Dantonio's decisions late were risky. Maybe he was trying to win, but it also showed that he didn't believe PSU could get first downs so he knew he would get the ball back.

AND

The percentage drops when the pass is thrown 10 yds out-of-bounds!
Well, yeah, that’s what made it an even worse call to me. Trace looked awful all day. Don’t know what made rahne think he was going to throw a great ball there

I didn't think MSU was playing to win when they punted very late in the game …… I certainly was wrong!!
He knew we wouldn’t pass our way to another 1st down and he has one of the best rushing d’s in the country. He knew we would be stopped and he told his team that by punting.

Well, yeah, that’s what made it an even worse call to me. Trace looked awful all day. Don’t know what made rahne think he was going to throw a great ball there
Try to avoid using “Rahne” and “Think” in the same sentence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT