ADVERTISEMENT

MSU flopping on final drive

ShinerTexas

Sep 8, 2009
i rewatched the final MSU drive and I believe the injuries were somewhat concocted or at least the second one gave MSU extra time and free TIme Outs. No 18 went down for a long time after an incompletion so the clock wasn’t affected but he comes back a play or two later and looks 100% to catch the winning TD. The second injury was after a catch for a first Down. this receiver gets help from two assistants but seems is able to put full weight on it before reaching the sideline. The problem here is that the clock never starts until the snap even though the chains were sent well before that and some time should have come off the clock. I’m not saying that we lost because of these two incidents but these were effectively two free TO’s giving Dantonio extra time for the critical play calls.

Reactions: mgkpsu
i rewatched the final MSU drive and I believe the injuries were somewhat concocted or at least the second one gave MSU extra time and free TIme Outs. No 18 went down for a long time after an incompletion so the clock wasn’t affected but he comes back a play or two later and looks 100% to catch the winning TD. The second injury was after a catch for a first Down. this receiver gets help from two assistants but seems is able to put full weight on it before reaching the sideline. The problem here is that the clock never starts until the snap even though the chains were sent well before that and some time should have come off the clock. I’m not saying that we lost because of these two incidents but these were effectively two free TO’s giving Dantonio extra time for the critical play calls.

On the second injury, the dude got bent awkwardly and looked like a dicey back injury. Can't really speak to the first one you refer to. But if that conspiracy helps you cope with the loss, by all means, go with it.

No conspiracy just lucky or shrewd for MSU to have the extra time for making the calls. I’m over the loss

On the second one, to Laress Nelson, who is very reasonably our 6th or 7th WR, is a very badly sprained ankle by my untrained eye. If he comes back next week and plays, l'll happily eat crow. But if you saw the replay of his ankle getting bent backwards, I'd like to see you jump right up after that.

I'm almost certain he came back in for the last play in the slot on the bottom of the screen. He may have been dinged up, but was miraculously healed.

It was like a soccer game, and just seems like Dickfor's M.O..

On the second one, to Laress Nelson, who is very reasonably our 6th or 7th WR, is a very badly sprained ankle by my untrained eye. If he comes back next week and plays, l'll happily eat crow. But if you saw the replay of his ankle getting bent backwards, I'd like to see you jump right up after that.
#13 I believe it was. They lead him to the sideline and walked away as #13 stood by himself on said sideline with nobody attempting to assist him. A couple plays later #13 came back into the game while doing his best to act like he was hurting. If he had a badly sprained ankle he wouldn't have been back.

As for the first injury, I believe it was after an incomplete pass so it had no effect on the clock although it did give the coaching staff some extra time to view the PSU personnel and decide upon a play.

#13 I believe it was. They lead him to the sideline and walked away as #13 stood by himself on said sideline with nobody attempting to assist him. A couple plays later #13 came back into the game while doing his best to act like he was hurting. If he had a badly sprained ankle he wouldn't have been back.

As for the first injury, I believe it was after an incomplete pass so it had no effect on the clock although it did give the coaching staff some extra time to view the PSU personnel and decide upon a play.

MSU radio announcers lambasted the PSU crowd for booing saying the player is really hurt (guess even he was fooled or couldn't take off the green glasses)as it happened --calling our crowd a bunch of losers and will be eating crow when they find out hes hurt --- but failed to say anything when the guy came back the next play or so. The player could still be hurt but no retraction nor apology from the smacked ass on air

MSU radio announcers lambasted the PSU crowd for booing saying the player is really hurt (guess even he was fooled or couldn't take off the green glasses)as it happened --calling our crowd a bunch of losers and will be eating crow when they find out hes hurt --- but failed to say anything when the guy came back the next play or so. The player could still be hurt but no retraction nor apology from the smacked ass on air
After listening to the MSU radio crew roast paterno and say inexcusable thing about the PSU culture last year while I was in East Lansing, I really don't care about what they have to say.

Reactions: Zenophile and bytir
After listening to the MSU radio crew roast paterno and say inexcusable thing about the PSU culture last year while I was in East Lansing, I really don't care about what they have to say.
Just notating what was said nothing more..oh just noting because I lost the 1450 feed at the game how does that happen?

Last edited:
Considering the time of possession advantage that MSU had, those time outs were probably equally beneficial for the PSU defense to get a breather.

Yep those “injuries” are the reason we lost.
Wow, the poster specifically said he wasn’t saying that was the reason we lost, but that’s what you read. Huh, I guess reading comprehension would help avoid a lot of message board arguments.

Wow, the poster specifically said he wasn’t saying that was the reason we lost, but that’s what you read. Huh, I guess reading comprehension would help avoid a lot of message board arguments.

And thats whats irritating. You can bitch about officiating ... it doesnt mean its why we lost. You can bitch about MSU faking injuries ... it doesnt mean its why we lost. But some people want to read what they want just to read themselves sometimes.

Don’t you have to take a timeout or have a clock run off for an injured player with under 2 minutes?

Said the same thing from the stands. I don't know how in the world MSU kept a timeout AND there was no runoff. The only "logic" part was that it was a first down so the clock stopped anyway ... but then you'd have to wind on the ready to play which that also didn't occur so ... still unsure.

Don’t you have to take a timeout or have a clock run off for an injured player with under 2 minutes?
The explanation is the clock was stopped already due to first down, but you don’t get a three minute stoppage for a first down like the “injury” time out. I thought they implemented the rule to avoid this type of thing, but apparently it’s still okay at certain times.

Did the MSU announcers talk at all about Nassar?
No, it hadn't really blown up yet.

George Perles was on talking about how much he admired and respected Paterno. Then George left and the MSU radio crew went on a lengthy discussion of how they really liked George but couldn't agree with him on Paterno. Said that no matter what anyone says they could never look past what Paterno did and how the Penn State faithful rallied around Joe. Cult like fan base discussion, etc. The typical stuff you know.

Last edited:
Yeah, the second one he was definitely hurt. We shouldn't be crying about that one. The first one (Davis) did appear to fall awkwardly, but was back on the field after sitting out one play.

I was more upset with some horrible officiating that benefited MSU than the injury timeouts.

I don't think either were flops. First one happened after an incomplete pass so not sure what benefit MSU would get from that. Clock stops and they can huddle up regardless.

On the second play, it definitely looked like the receiver got bent back awkwardly. As others have pointed out, it was a 1st down so the clock was stopped for the chains to get set. The refs did start the clock back after the player was taken to the sideline. However, MSU was set at the line and hiked the ball almost immediately with the ref's restarting of the clock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT