MSNBC's Katy Tur finally realizes people don't trust the media

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
Only 16% of Americans said they have a "great deal or quite a lot" of confidence in newspapers in 2022, a 5% drop compared to the 2021 findings, according to Gallup. It was the lowest number to give those answers since Gallup started asking about newspapers in 1973.

Television news has Americans even more concerned in 2022, as a dismal 11% told Gallup they have a "great deal or quite a lot" of confidence in the industry. That figure is down from the 16% who were confident in TV news last year, also a nadir.

"People don’t trust us, they don’t believe us, and it makes me wonder if this job, as I am currently doing it, is effective, but if it’s doing more harm than good," Tur said. "I don’t have a good answer for that, though, those thoughts linger in the back of my mind. They linger though because I do love it and I think it’s important and I’m hoping to find a way to better communicate with people."

Also last week, a Pew Research Center study indicated that 55% of journalists surveyed "say that every side does not always deserve equal coverage in the news," but 76% of Americans overall believe journalists "should always strive to give all sides equal coverage."

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
Only 16% of Americans said they have a "great deal or quite a lot" of confidence in newspapers in 2022, a 5% drop compared to the 2021 findings, according to Gallup. It was the lowest number to give those answers since Gallup started asking about newspapers in 1973.

Television news has Americans even more concerned in 2022, as a dismal 11% told Gallup they have a "great deal or quite a lot" of confidence in the industry. That figure is down from the 16% who were confident in TV news last year, also a nadir.

"People don’t trust us, they don’t believe us, and it makes me wonder if this job, as I am currently doing it, is effective, but if it’s doing more harm than good," Tur said. "I don’t have a good answer for that, though, those thoughts linger in the back of my mind. They linger though because I do love it and I think it’s important and I’m hoping to find a way to better communicate with people."

Also last week, a Pew Research Center study indicated that 55% of journalists surveyed "say that every side does not always deserve equal coverage in the news," but 76% of Americans overall believe journalists "should always strive to give all sides equal coverage."

only 55% were honest..

After dealing with Heather Dinich when she worked for the Balt Sun and Wash post covering my sports teams, I knew not to ever fully trust a journalist. Calling 15 year olds at 12:30 in the morning to 'talk about the upcoming game'... No it was to try to meet up with them without adults "for her story". Then never writing the story she claimed she would.

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX

'People don’t trust us, they don’t believe us, and it makes me wonder if this job, as I am currently doing it, is effective, but if it’s doing more harm than good'

Here she basically says its them not her.