ADVERTISEMENT

Ms. BWI Poll General Discussion and Updates...1/21/2021

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
When I originally devised the poll, I envisioned each category (girl next door, actress, model, etc) of woman to be their own conference. Based upon various poll results, the woman would be given an RPI type score. The top woman in each conference plus many other “at large” women would make it to the big dance. You are running it now so do as you will.

Yeah, I wanted to do something similar, but between requests, board favorites, varying board member ages, and general board knowledge (noting they are more likely to vote for women they have stronger memories of), not to mention the massive task of 'categorizing' women (is someone like Susan Dey 'girl next door' or 'actress'?), I just went for it typing names as they came to me just to get the poll out there. There have been some predictable results so far, but in the end I think the finalists will be heavyweights.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
When I originally devised the poll, I envisioned each category (girl next door, actress, model, etc) of woman to be their own conference. Based upon various poll results, the woman would be given an RPI type score. The top woman in each conference plus many other “at large” women would make it to the big dance. You are running it now so do as you will.
I vote we put ranger Dan in charge and boot midnighter

Yeah, I wanted to do something similar, but between requests, board favorites, varying board member ages, and general board knowledge (noting they are more likely to vote for women they have stronger memories of), not to mention the massive task of 'categorizing' women (is someone like Susan Dey 'girl next door' or 'actress'?), I just went for it typing names as they came to me just to get the poll out there. There have been some predictable results so far, but in the end I think the finalists will be heavyweights.
you do you...

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
After seeing the Phoebe Cates-Elizabeth Shue results...
10wua9.jpg

Ms. BWI Bracket Poll Update (click to enlarge):

Moving on were:

Sophia Loren over Kate Upton
Lynda Carter over Erin Gray
Cindy Crawford over Diane Lane
Elisabeth Shue over Phoebe Cates.

Current first round matches are open until Thursday. An additional four first round matches will begin Thursday morning/afternoon.

Some numbers:

Elisabeth Shue vs. Phoebe Cates had the most total individual votes - 474
Lynda Carter had the most votes for a winner - 278
Poll views for the first four contests totaled about 19,000

Thanks for participating; some tough match ups to come!
I can't believe Diane Lane lost.

Can we get a recount.
Is there a loser's bracket? Wrestlebacks?

So, Ladd, Eden, and Anderson have been added to the next poll. I already have a third set of 32 I'm filling out and it's at least half full just from recommendations.
I'm glad Farrah Fawcett was suggested because her poster made her 70's pop icon. But if you want to mix it up and not overload your bracket with feathered hair blondes I suggest Aishwarya Rai. She is from India, Miss World 1994 and one of the biggest stars in Bollywood. Her grey-green eyes are very unique and beautiful. A while back some publication declared her the most beautiful woman in the world and the moniker stuck. You might have trouble finding bikini photos though because India is a more conservative country.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I'm glad Farrah Fawcett was suggested because her poster made her 70's pop icon. But if you want to mix it up and not overload your bracket with feathered hair blondes I suggest Aishwarya Rai. She is from India, Miss World 1994 and one of the biggest stars in Bollywood. Her grey-green eyes are very unique and beautiful. A while back some publication declared her the most beautiful woman in the world and the moniker stuck. You might have trouble finding bikini photos though because India is a more conservative country.

Very familiar with Ashwarya :).

Loni Anderson is one that was quite bueaty in her prime. Anybody post some stuff on her from her best years.

1-13-21 Update....

Polls close this morning for:

Jaclyn Smith vs. Anna Kournikova - 9:21am
Cameron Diaz vs. Naomi Campbell - 11:09am
Niki Taylor vs. Jennier Connelly - 11:36am
Emily Ratajkowski vs. Heather Locklear - 4:13pm

New polls will open as the others close - some good ones to look out for. I will try to tabulate some numbers (most votes, total views, etc.) for these polls once they close. Polls that open today will close on Sunday, so asking the board if it would be better to start the new polls on Sunday so we always have polls open, or wait until Monday when it's likely more folks will be on the board?

Anyway, thanks for participating and for the suggestions - refining the second half of the 64 player tournament now, and another question for the board - should we 'finish' the first 32 player bracket, or keep going with Round 1's until all 32 first round matches are finished? Let me know. I'm inclined to finish this 32 player poll first, but up for whatever.

Thanks!

Couple observations. First, people tend to vote for their generation. Part of that is fashion styles.....clothing, hair, make up. Part is taste of the times....skinny, curvy, tall. But the biggest IMO, is that we fixate on the stars of our teenage/early twenties. The women when we were top corn dogs. Sophia Loren will always be the winner for that generation. Work your way through generations....Raquel Welch/Anne Margret to Farah Fawcett/ Jacklyn. Smith to Phoebe Cates to Jessica Alba....we always remember and honor our first. And people from outside that generation will not get it. Phoebe Cates is one that, while very pretty, is not in The Hottest category. But for her fans I understand.

The other is that some women take gorgeous photos, others not so much. A good example IMO is Anna K. I don’t watch tennis but kept hearing how beautiful she was. Saw some still photos and wasn’t impressed and wondered what all the fuss was about. Then I saw her play! That woman can strut better than a Lippenzan Stallion! Smokin hot! Same with Jessica Alba....nice looking, nice figure but nothing exciting....until I saw her in a movie! Then I got it.

Conversely, some women photograph extremely well but do not look good otherwise. Best example for me was Brooke Shields. She was on every cover for several years and the photos were amazing. Yet whenever I saw her interviewed, she never looked any better than most girls on campus....other than those extremely long legs. You could enter her with some great photos but she would never get my vote. Always wondered how a beauty photographer can tell which girl will shine in photos and which won’t.

Reactions: retsio
1-13-21 Update....

Polls close this morning for:

Jaclyn Smith vs. Anna Kournikova - 9:21am
Cameron Diaz vs. Naomi Campbell - 11:09am
Niki Taylor vs. Jennier Connelly - 11:36am
Emily Ratajkowski vs. Heather Locklear - 4:13pm

New polls will open as the others close - some good ones to look out for. I will try to tabulate some numbers (most votes, total views, etc.) for these polls once they close. Polls that open today will close on Sunday, so asking the board if it would be better to start the new polls on Sunday so we always have polls open, or wait until Monday when it's likely more folks will be on the board?

Anyway, thanks for participating and for the suggestions - refining the second half of the 64 player tournament now, and another question for the board - should we 'finish' the first 32 player bracket, or keep going with Round 1's until all 32 first round matches are finished? Let me know. I'm inclined to finish this 32 player poll first, but up for whatever.

Thanks!
I’m for whichever option provides the most available pics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT