ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Brooks Sets HR Straight!

I always look at things a little different than many of you though, as when you generalize an entire fan base, that's my other family.
The vast majority of my family-"the in-laws"-as well as one of my sons are Sqwawkers.

I'm even more ruthless with them than I am an anonymous person on a message board. They learned LONG AGO to not toot the Sqwawker horn around me. I'm excited to see UNI give them another run this year on the gridiron.

Going through Chester and Lime Springs, you'd never guess.
As a North Iowa beer snob myself, there are a fair amount of hipsters in Decorah, but most who are travelling to Decorah for this event are from the more urban areas of the state, as well as a TON of people from out of state, and even a few who are international.

Yes, it's (mysteriously) that big of a deal, especially when you consider that stouts aren't even in Toppling Goliath's wheelhouse.

As a North Iowa beer snob myself, there are a fair amount of hipsters in Decorah, but most who are travelling to Decorah for this event are from the more urban areas of the state, as well as a TON of people from out of state, and even a few who are international.

Yes, it's (mysteriously) that big of a deal, especially when you consider that stouts aren't even in Toppling Goliath's wheelhouse.

Send me all your TG stouts... Assassin, SR 71. KBBS... I 'll take any of the non "wheelhouse variety".. hahaha. .I have been desperately seeking trade partner in Decorah...

Send me all your TG stouts... Assassin, SR 71. KBBS... I 'll take any of the non "wheelhouse variety".. hahaha. .I have been desperately seeking trade partner in Decorah...
I'd be glad to, but most of those limited release ones that you mention don't always make it to my area via bombers (I'm just under an hour and a half away from Decorah, but we do get them on tap). When they do make it, they go faster than anyone's ability to get to the liquor store on time to buy them.

Again, kind of a mystery to me, as TG is a hop haven, NOT a stout brewery. It must be due to the novelty of it or something. o_O

Last edited:
I'd be glad to, but most of those limited release ones that you mention don't always make it to my area via bombers (I'm just under an hour and a half away from Decorah, but we do get them on tap). When they do make it, they go faster than anyone's ability to get to the liquor store on time to buy them.

Again, kind of a mystery to me, as TG is a hop haven, NOT aa stout brewery. It must be due to the novelty of it or something. o_O

I've had Assassin and it was impressive.. so was Morning Delight.. never had the pleasure of KBBS or SR 71.. If you ever run into em keep me in mind.. would love to try them without giving up my left kidney to get em.. .haha..

Reactions: Ban Basketball
I've had Assassin and it was impressive.. so was Morning Delight.. never had the pleasure of KBBS or SR 71.. If you ever run into em keep me in mind.. would love to try them without giving up my left kidney to get em.. .haha..
OK, will do. I'd be interested in trying to set something like that up.

And, I will admit that Assassin is/was a great beer. As an Iowan, I've never even looked at Morning Delight, let alone had the chance to try it, but I also haven't worked very hard to get a ticket for the event.

Come to think of it, as a married man of nearly 20 years, I never get to look at ANY kind of Morning Delight.

I think the proper term is ... "hipster - duffus"

I think it was Nico's Soph year, we traveled to Pitt and they started off the meet by forfeiting to Nico, a Pittsburgh area native. I think Nico was ranked in the top five at the time and the scuttlebutt was that Pitt had at least one healthy 125 pounder available and chose not to let Nico wrestle in front of his hometown fans.
You should never forfeit in College unless extreme circumstances dictate. That definitely is bush league what Pitt did...

Why would you bring him up on a PSU board, insecure much - sheesh. But glad you agree that Cael is a great man and a great leader of men.
Insecure? No. Brands gets brought up here all the time. Like I said it's ok for you to admit that they BOTH are great men and leaders of men. Maybe I'm not the insecure one?

Insecure? No. Brands gets brought up here all the time. Like I said it's ok for you to admit that they BOTH are great men and leaders of men. Maybe I'm not the insecure one?

Ok Turk, Brands is a great man and leader, now will you take a 48 hr timeout from here?

Hockey, I will try to help you out. You have to tell me what to buy and how much. Remember I am NOT an IPA guy and don't know what you want. I'm going trout fishing this afternoon and will being driving right by the place. I will find out what they have available.

Hockey, I will try to help you out. You have to tell me what to buy and how much. Remember I am NOT an IPA guy and don't know what you want. I'm going trout fishing this afternoon and will being driving right by the place. I will find out what they have available.
Awesome... their IPA's are great... and usually more readily available.. their stouts are the ones that are near impossible to land.. usually special release parties... let me know what you find.. I may pass if it is all their routine stuff but maybe luck into something...

Wet wade or full waders - nothing in between. Hip boots are for bobber-supported worm fishing, and drinkers of Bud Light.
What about us guys who just wear river sandals and wear old shorts. I'd attach a photo however it would be too terrifying.

If it was Cael not being willing to reciprocate a trip Brands had made previously, your post would carry with it some merit.
I know for a fact Cael believes Iowa and Penn State should compete in a dual every year and the reason the match wasn't scheduled in 2015-16 was because they could not agree where the match should be held. Brands refused to travel to State College despite it being his turn. In turn Cael wasn't going to Iowa City that year.
All true, and more. Feel free to take the conspiracy-theory take, you're very consistent in that regard. My take is that it will happen, just a matter of when, and being a patient-sort, I'll wait. It would be better during a year we don't already wrestle...so there's that.

In the meantime, I'm thankful every day that the program is where it is...and wouldn't really change a thing. Seven-in-eight is amazing.

I've trout fished for 35 years-almost exclusively in Minnesota and Iowa-and why have I always worn hip waders only? Because the water is rarely that deep or the creek/river that wide where I need to wade any deeper than my hips.

Why make myself hotter in the dead of summer when I don't need to? o_O

All true, and more. Feel free to take the conspiracy-theory take, you're very consistent in that regard. My take is that it will happen, just a matter of when, and being a patient-sort, I'll wait. It would be better during a year we don't already wrestle...so there's that.

In the meantime, I'm thankful every day that the program is where it is...and wouldn't really change a thing. Seven-in-eight is amazing.
The conspiracy-theory take?

Awesome... their IPA's are great... and usually more readily available.. their stouts are the ones that are near impossible to land.. usually special release parties... let me know what you find.. I may pass if it is all their routine stuff but maybe luck into something...
Hockey I need an e mail so we quit clogging up this board talking about beer. I stopped and have some info.

I went to a misic fest a few weeks ago and my son brought an icelandic beer. I had one and posted it on untappd and I gpt a toast from the brewery! Thought it was funny because it was the middle of the night there.

ADVERTISEMENT