ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Brooks Sets HR Straight!

Ian

Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
State College, Pa
“Absolutely no talk or funny money. 100% by the book at PSU. Great staff and the kids are awesome. I’m a big Iowa fan, can’t love wrestling without appreciating the Hawks. The rivilry is great for the sport and keeps the fans engaged. We embrace competition in our house. Always have!

We wouldn’t send our son somewhere that wasn’t legit. That would be poor planning after all the years of dedication.

Lol! You guys are great though! I read all the wise cracks and banter on both forums and I love it. I can’t wait to fly to Iowa and watch a dual! At the end of the day we are raising men and teaching the values they will need in life. Great programs both! Love the sport!! Also, Greg’s situation changed, he needs to look long term. Very few wrestlers can make a living in this sport. He is now in that less than 1% and Okie State isn’t really in that race.”

This is the one, we/I have been shouting from the keyboard for years but the haters just wont allow it to take hold. maybe now that the hawkeye room is crowded they will start to acknowledge, but usually haters are gonna hate, hate, hate......

"9.9 is true, but lots of parent don’t need scholarships and they don’t take them. Lots of these parents are already paying tuition, so it’s no big deal. There are lots of factors that could be taking place. It doesn’t have to be cheating."

My lurking, let alone posting, there has decreased about 95%. That’s probably how a few diehards who are stuck in 1986 want it, but echo chambers are no fun.

Good for Mr. Brooks. Hopefully we can land Kerk and set up another Murderer’s Row with those 2 as the keystones.

This is the one, we/I have been shouting from the keyboard for years but the haters just wont allow it to take hold. maybe now that the hawkeye room is crowded they will start to acknowledge, but usually haters are gonna hate, hate, hate......

"9.9 is true, but lots of parent don’t need scholarships and they don’t take them. Lots of these parents are already paying tuition, so it’s no big deal. There are lots of factors that could be taking place. It doesn’t have to be cheating."
It's a rule littered with exceptions but generally speaking the top tier HS wrestlers were able to become top tier wrestlers because they had parents with resources that allowed them to travel to the right tournaments, or move near the right HS district, and so on. Meaning that there's an element of economic self-selection to the pool of wrestlers that succeed to a greater degree than in more popular sports like football or basketball. That is, the top tier wrestlers, on the whole, are going to be from wealthier families (i.e., wealthier relative to the families of athletes in other scholarship-offering sports).

Compound that with the emergence of a limited number of elite programs (and recalling that all programs have a finite number of weight classes; and finite number of scholarships) and you're left with the families of those top tier wrestlers having limited bargaining leverage to claim those scholarships. Where 'want' transcends 'need' with respect to a finite supply of top tier school scholarships, you're going to find many parents willing to accept less, often times a lot less, than they would from middle-pack D1 schools offering full rides. From the families' POV, if you've spent x $ on your kid's career by this point, why would you suddenly revert to a cost-savings strategy when you're near the spending finish line?

Reactions: jtothemfp and garw
Noble work on the part of Mr. Brooks but it won't make a lick of difference. There are simply too many "group-think" types over there willing to believe the outlandish claims of a few rogue lunatics like "donhawkeye" even though the rumor mongers refuse to offer up a shred of evidence supporting their claims. "I heard things" trumps all common sense and the reason is simple: it makes PSU being the dominant program easier for Hawkeyes fans to digest.

Last edited:
Noble work on the part of Mr. Brooks but it won't make a lick of difference. There are simply too many "group-think" types over there willing to believe the outlandish claims of a few rogue lunatics like "donhawkeye" even though the rumor mongers refuse to offerup a lick of evidence backing their claims. "I heard things" trumps all common sense and the reason is simple: it makes PSU being the dominant program easier for Hawkeyes fans to digest.
They want Gable back so he can offer 7+ more scholarships in a given cycle than their rivals. You know, back when college sports had “morels”

Edit for clarification - my quoted word was used on HR as a stand in for “morals”. I’m a Strunk & White guy - not some literary savage

Last edited:
My God! What will Vodka do now?
What he always does. Obviously Mr. Brooks is now in the pockets of Big Slush.

Seriously though: I hope "Okie State isn't in that race" isn't correct -- because if John Freaking Smith isn't, then who is? Cael, Ryan, Brands ... probably nobody else. That's not good for the sport.

Reactions: nerfstate
The mods are very good on HR, it's just some posters that have come on board the last couple of years. Then you have a few that make some phone calls and think they have all the answers. People really don't get the microscope we've been under and still are. That didn't magically disappear. Parents paying for college, oh the humanity!

Reactions: PSUer1989
I wondered how long it would take to get a snitch thread over here. :p I get a kick out of you guys kissing Mr Brooks but on HR and telling him to proceed with caution on HR.. But come to BWI where WE ARE better than everyone else! LMAO

Seriously though: I hope "Okie State isn't in that race" isn't correct -- because if John Freaking Smith isn't, then who is? Cael, Ryan, Brands ... probably nobody else. That's not good for the sport.

I think he's referring to Kerkvliet. Brands isn't on that list, Manning is.

I wonder how long it will be before Mr. Brooks gets banned on HR? ;)

They want Gable back so he can offer 7+ more scholarships in a given cycle than their rivals. You know, back when college sports had “morels”

There were no morels at my farmers' market this morning. That explains it.

To the HR mod's credit, an RU fan posted a "ped state" meme in that thread and it was quickly removed. At least there are some boundaries over there...
Let me guess - scarletknights16. He tried a drive by here with his first post on the Strittmatter thread and the post wasn’t modded.

I wonder how long it will be before Mr. Brooks gets banned on HR? ;)

There were no morels at my farmers' market this morning. That explains it.
I didn’t have the heart to correct IronBird who is one of the most unhinged over there and doesn’t know his ground level edibles from morals

There are a few posters on HR out of their element no doubt, just like there is here. When one of them says something asinine or disparaging 20 sets of lion eyes from BWI all see it from behind the bushes. Then one cat pounces and brings the carcass back home for a feast. Its feeding time boys!

I wondered how long it would take to get a snitch thread over here. :p I get a kick out of you guys kissing Mr Brooks but on HR and telling him to proceed with caution on HR.. But come to BWI where WE ARE better than everyone else! LMAO
Lately you are coming across as somewhat of a bitter, little old guy. Stop that. Your board personality is much better when you banter. Not so much when whinny.

My God! What will Vodka do now?
“Will Investigate For Food” :)

280px-Testament_of_SH_-_Holmes_on_a_bench.JPG

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt - that the misspelling of butt was an autocorrect issue. Hate when that happens.

No....you’re a bigger whiner here than over there.

I stand corrected....

There are a few posters on HR out of their element no doubt, just like there is here. When one of them says something asinine or disparaging 20 sets of lion eyes from BWI all see it from behind the bushes. Then one cat pounces and brings the carcass back home for a feast. Its feeding time boys!

I have to admit, that was a funny post Turk. Well done. But in our defense, it doesn't take a lot of lurking to find an asinine or disparaging comment.

Not Kerk's actual list, which Smith is in even if only as a courtesy.

Rather those programs suited to the post-NCAA aspirations of athletes at Kerk's level.

I get Manning being there with Burroughs and Green. Brands is definitely there. Cael, Ryan, who else?

Again the point: if Smith isn't, there can't be many who are, and that's not good.

Lately you are coming across as somewhat of a bitter, little old guy. Stop that. Your board personality is much better when you banter. Not so much when whinny.
I have thought the exact same thing about you in the past! Weird. My fiancee is 7 months pregnant now so I think we all are a little whiny in my house lol. HR is a great board minus a few pudwhacks. Try to filter them out.

Not Kerk's actual list, which Smith is in even if only as a courtesy.

Rather those programs suited to the post-NCAA aspirations of athletes at Kerk's level.

I get Manning being there with Burroughs and Green. Brands is definitely there. Cael, Ryan, who else?

Again the point: if Smith isn't, there can't be many who are, and that's not good.

Oh, I get it. I don't think Brands is there for anything other than lightweights really. He has a sort of niche position. But, yes, it's starting to look like a two or three (3.5 if you include Iowa) location landscape for post grad landing. Hopefully that changes.

HR is a great board minus a few pudwhacks.
I'm an honest man, so I'll easily call you on this one: no it isn't, and nor are the people.

Anyone who comes onto a site as a neutral observer and this is met with the most paranoid distrust of ANYTHING the person says doesn't represent a "great board."

Now, compare that to here. As still a neutral observer, why I am still here and treated with respect?

I'm an honest man, so I'll easily call you on this one: no it isn't, and nor are the people.

Anyone who comes onto a site as a neutral observer and this is met with the most paranoid distrust of ANYTHING the person says doesn't represent a "great board."

Now, compare that to here. As still a neutral observer, why I am still here and treated with respect?
This one is easy

1)You detest anything "Squawkeye"related. That will always go over well here.
2)You prance around here with Blue and White balls in your mouth and a lion shirt on

You have the receipe down pat panther!

This one is easy

2)You prance around here with Blue and White balls in your mouth and a lion shirt on

No worries Turk, I’d be angry too after dominating and then having this Eastern team beat the balls off you for the Last decade.

This one is easy

Of course #1 is correct, but my offer still stands for you to demonstrate to me, other than my very first post, where I did make a joke about Gilburg's slam of Waters, where I slammed the Sqwawkers on HR.

As for #2, nah, I just treat the people here respectfully, as they do me. I'm still a neutral observer and only cheer for two college teams, PSU is not one but they have my respect (as does Ohio State).

No, sir, everyone came at me with a paranoia that has yet to been seen on message boards. Yes, I would defend myself against the attacks, but not once did I initiate anything on there. PLEASE prove me wrong and post where I INITIATED a Sqwawker attack on HR.

Good fishing!

If only the two boards could merge and throw away any pettiness. I never said nor do I ever say anything disrespectful of the Hawks. I just found Mr. Brooks numerous, not one, but numerous responses setting the record straight something for all to absorb. It is significantly more valuable and interesting when someone directly involved comments.

Edit for clarification - my quoted word was used on HR as a stand in for “morals”. I’m a Strunk & White guy - not some literary savage

They brush off Gable's documented recruiting violations just like they buried their heads' when it took Brands ten (!!!) years to finally overhaul his recruiting strategy.

Oh, I get it. I don't think Brands is there for anything other than lightweights really. He has a sort of niche position. But, yes, it's starting to look like a two or three (3.5 if you include Iowa) location landscape for post grad landing. Hopefully that changes.

Lol, typical matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT