ADVERTISEMENT

most significant plays of the Iowa game

• The chop block call, which looked marginal, set off a major shift to field position, as it was followed by IP calls and another punt from end zone.
Question about this call:

Cain did go low on an engaged guy (I don't think he meant to throw a chop block it was just how the play progressed) but he actually missed. If you watch carefully the DL jumped over Cain and Cain never made contact.

Is that still a penalty? In other words, do both blockers have to make contact in order for a chop block to be called?

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
The single play in my opinion was the pass interference call that led to the bogus Iowa TD.
I agree this was a terrible call (on 3rd and 6) which extended the drive and led to Iowa's first TD. There was bumping by both players, the defender turned to look for the ball AND the Iowa WR grabbed the facemask/helmet opening and twisted the defender's head. No way that is a penalty ONLY on PSU. The worst case correct call (for PSU) would be offsetting fouls (and replay of down).

Question about this call:

Cain did go low on an engaged guy (I don't think he meant to throw a chop block it was just how the play progressed) but he actually missed. If you watch carefully the DL jumped over Cain and Cain never made contact.

Is that still a penalty? In other words, do both blockers have to make contact in order for a chop block to be called?
Do you mean in general or when it's an O'Neill crew?

Uhuh. That PI call was legit. The DB clearly went over the WRs back, interfering with his ability to jump for the ball. Both players have the right to go for the ball and our guy was prevented from doing so.
Does the Iowa receiver have the right to pull the facemask/helmet opening of the PSU player? Because I wasn't aware that is legal.

Wrong. This was, at worst, offsetting penalties (facemask on Iowa and DPI on PSU).
When I saw the replay of it, I was thinking the same thing. But the ref only gets one look at it and the angle the ref who threw the flag had may not have allowed him to see whatever the receiver did to Hardy.

obviously the plays that caused injury to SC and PJ were at top of the list, but a few others came into play.

• All the punts inside the 10 yd line with some in the 2-3 yd line area. What are the chances that a punter is going to be able to hit that type of punt so many times. There has to be some pure luck in doing it every time.
The first two, I was thinking, man that is lucky. But after the third one -- this clearly isn't luck, they must spend hundreds of hours practicing this and that punter is really good. It's quite a weapon isn't it?

Which call are we referring to then? Because that happened on 3rd and 6 and would have ended the Iowa drive that eventually ended in a TD.
Talking about the PI called on Iowa down on the goal line right before our 1st TD.

ADVERTISEMENT