ADVERTISEMENT

most significant plays of the Iowa game

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
obviously the plays that caused injury to SC and PJ were at top of the list, but a few others came into play.

• All the punts inside the 10 yd line with some in the 2-3 yd line area. What are the chances that a punter is going to be able to hit that type of punt so many times. There has to be some pure luck in doing it every time.
  • The chop block call, which looked marginal, set off a major shift to field position, as it was followed by IP calls and another punt from end zone.
  • TCF missed tackle on a FR WR was very big play. That should have been a short gain.
  • missed assignment on the TD pass, although it did not look like the Iowa player scored. My guess is they may have scored off that series, but you never know (remember our 3 TDs called back plus a Pat TD overturned on one series = wound up as FG for us).

Reactions: bourbon n blues
obviously the plays that caused injury to SC and PJ were at top of the list, but a few others came into play.

• All the punts inside the 10 yd line with some in the 2-3 yd line area. What are the chances that a punter is going to be able to hit that type of punt so many times. There has to be some pure luck in doing it every time.
  • The chop block call, which looked marginal, set off a major shift to field position, as it was followed by IP calls and another punt from end zone.
  • TCF missed tackle on a FR WR was very big play. That should have been a short gain.
  • missed assignment on the TD pass, although it did not look like the Iowa player scored. My guess is they may have scored off that series, but you never know (remember our 3 TDs called back plus a Pat TD overturned on one series = wound up as FG for us).

Strange’s third down drop; killed a drive and any confidence TR was building. Missed INT in the second half (JPJR?) - believe Iowa gashed us on the next play and eventually scored.

#13's 5 yard motion penalty on the 7 yard first down run in the 4th quarter. Instead of 2nd and 3 at the 32 PSU ended up 1st and 15 at the 20. PSU proceeded to regress into a 4th and 29 that resulted in Iowa starting on PSU's 44. You know the rest.

Last edited:
Agree with all but especially the TCF missed tackle. Our secondary is really good, the best in many years, but TCF is, IMO, the weakest link. With how the Iowa O struggled ALL GAME, that tackle might have prevented points.

Reactions: grinagrin
The single play in my opinion was the pass interference call that led to the bogus Iowa TD.
Not only was the interference mutual but that TD ruling was WAY more egregious than the Penix TD last year.
Sure, good teams overcome bad calls (to some extent) but I'm surprised that the phantom 7 points by Iowa isn't a bigger discussion.
I never knew touching the pylon with the ball 2 feet behind counted as a TD. All the other issues should not excuse corrupt officiating (hard to even justify the ruling as incompetence)

#13's 5 yard motion penalty on the 7 yard first down run in the 4th quarter. Instead of 2nd and 3 at the 32 PSU ended up 1st and 15 at the 20. PSU proceeded to regress into a 4th and 29 that resulted in Iowa starting on PSU's 44. You know the rest.
This one. We get a 1st down or maybe 2 and pin 'em deep with a punt and THEY DON"T GO THE LENGTH OF THE FIELD AND WE WIN.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Strange’s two drops on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter were big ones. Both would have been first downs and extended possessions. That at least knocks time off the clock. The TCF whiff as mentioned above was another giant one and the demon of PSU and missed tackles reared up again. Also a good call on 13’s false start that erased the nice first down run.

Iowa’s punter was outstanding. He did get some great bounces but his cover team also did well to get down there. That begs the question do we need to change our punt blocking? Dotson has barely had an opportunity to do anything this season with guys constantly in his face.

Reactions: lazydave841
Injury plays where our respective players did not return, especially Clifford.

The Hardy PI call…where was the safety? that changed the momentum and their first score.

YH4WFITNCNEN5L2DUF6IBAKIDM.jpg

Hardy called for PI? Really? WTF!!!!

The single play in my opinion was the pass interference call that led to the bogus Iowa TD.
Not only was the interference mutual but that TD ruling was WAY more egregious than the Penix TD last year.
Sure, good teams overcome bad calls (to some extent) but I'm surprised that the phantom 7 points by Iowa isn't a bigger discussion.
I never knew touching the pylon with the ball 2 feet behind counted as a TD. All the other issues should not excuse corrupt officiating (hard to even justify the ruling as incompetence)
You are not only whistling Dixie! Horrendous call and should be ground for officials to be fired.

On Iowa's 1st TD drive we had them 3rd and 8 from around the 50 and their QB got smoked by 2 guys on a blitz and threw a perfect pass on a crossing pattern. I thought that play was huge because they would have been punting.

On Iowa's 1st TD drive we had them 3rd and 8 from around the 50 and their QB got smoked by 2 guys on a blitz and threw a perfect pass on a crossing pattern. I thought that play was huge because they would have been punting.
Yes. That was a big play. Good play by Petras to stand in there.

What about #70 getting called for 5,000 false starts?

also the first time that Strange dropped Roberson's pass. He should have caught that.
I bet PSU and yes I am a Pitt fan. What I couldn’t understand is why didn’t they put the QB under center. Insert a FB. If you don’t have on put in a tight end at FB. PSU defense was crushing Iowa. Slow the game down play ball control field position. Btw I coached my son’s youth football and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. I predicted PSU to win the East. I don’t get into the PSU / Pitt hate.

I bet PSU and yes I am a Pitt fan. What I couldn’t understand is why didn’t they put the QB under center. Insert a FB. If you don’t have on put in a tight end at FB. PSU defense was crushing Iowa. Slow the game down play ball control field position. Btw I coached my son’s youth football and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. I predicted PSU to win the East. I don’t get into the PSU / Pitt hate.
Well Mr Pitt fan, as a PSU fan that has no hard feelings against the Panthers, let me tell you what you probably know. Your offense is better than ours, your QB is better than ours (and that is not a shot at Clifford who has really been playing well this year), and your team has a heck of a chance of winning the ACC this year.

Reactions: TFBaum
Well Mr Pitt fan, as a PSU fan that has no hard feelings against the Panthers, let me tell you what you probably know. Your offense is better than ours, your QB is better than ours (and that is not a shot at Clifford who has really been playing well this year), and your team has a heck of a chance of winning the ACC this year.
I bet before the season PSU to win the Big10. I just couldn’t understand when the QB got hurt why PSU didn’t go to the run. The kid from Nazareth put him at TB take Cain put him at FB you have a great oline from recruiting stars. Oh well you and Texas lost me money. Yesterday

1 - The play on which Clifford was injured. Completely changed the game.

2 - Blown coverage on Iowa’s 40 yard TD. The game was still there for the defense to win.

3 - Strange’s two drops that would have moved the chains and helped his struggling QB.

4 - While I didn’t feel like it right after the defense held Iowa to a FG, Clifford’s first INT. Without those points the game goes to OT. No idea if Penn State could have won there but could have had the chance.

Reactions: Achowalogan
The most impactful plays I saw during the game. Obviously the Clifford injury is the biggest as it effectively ended the game. There were plenty of indications that Iowa's in game adjustments were working and we were in for a four quarter fight at that point, especially give the fact that it was a one score game before his absence impacted the contest. Beyond those two, there were two key plays that impacted the game the most as they built the lead we nursed until the 4th quarter.

1. The the third down PI call near the goal line against Iowa on our first TD drive. This penalty was marginal at best. The DB was there first and had position. It should have been a no call but gave us a chance at a TD instead of a 35ish yard field goal attempt.
2. The tipped ball interception by Brisker which gave us a short field resulting in our second TD.

Reactions: sob5 and kwik44
Cliffords first interception turned out to be the 3 point difference in the game. Dumb play that seems to have been forgotten.

2nd qtr PS is driving again, had to settle for field goal. A touchdown there would have been 21-3. We would have won.

As mentioned above; Stranges drops (plural), he should have caught both those balls.

Obviously the pic play Iowa ran for the TD and missed the coverage in the 4th. Killer.

The ten thousand false starts; please tell me someone why millionaire coaches at an FBS “football school” took four possessions to show the center, right guard and QB how to do the snap with crowd noise. C’mon man!!!! That still pisses me off.

The most impactful plays I saw during the game. Obviously the Clifford injury is the biggest as it effectively ended the game. There were plenty of indications that Iowa's in game adjustments were working and we were in for a four quarter fight at that point, especially give the fact that it was a one score game before his absence impacted the contest. Beyond those two, there were two key plays that impacted the game the most as they built the lead we nursed until the 4th quarter.

1. The the third down PI call near the goal line against Iowa on our first TD drive. This penalty was marginal at best. The DB was there first and had position. It should have been a no call but gave us a chance at a TD instead of a 35ish yard field goal attempt.
2. The tipped ball interception by Brisker which gave us a short field resulting in our second TD.
Uhuh. That PI call was legit. The DB clearly went over the WRs back, interfering with his ability to jump for the ball. Both players have the right to go for the ball and our guy was prevented from doing so.

Uhuh. That PI call was legit. The DB clearly went over the WRs back, interfering with his ability to jump for the ball. Both players have the right to go for the ball and our guy was prevented from doing so.
The DB had position which means if it was a PI it would have been offensive, not defensive. Normally would be a no-call.

I agree 100% with the missed assignment on the td pass. really reminded me of the way Maryland scored twice last year.

He's been dropping punts in inside the ten with consistency all year. He's even booted it for over 60 yards. He's been quite the weapon for us in most of games as he's been able to flip the field when we haven't moved the ball or gotten turnovers.

Reactions: lazydave841

This PI call? Certainly looks like the Iowa WR has a handful of facemask/helmet and, on the replay you could clearly see him pull the DB to the ground. Similar play against Auburn was a no call

Reactions: PSU2UNC

This PI call? Certainly looks like the Iowa WR has a handful of facemask/helmet and, on the replay you could clearly see him pull the DB to the ground. Similar play against Auburn was a no call
Interestingly I posted this on the Iowa board in reply to a post about the PSU O-line holding. The thread has been nothing but crickets since...

Agree with all but especially the TCF missed tackle. Our secondary is really good, the best in many years, but TCF is, IMO, the weakest link. With how the Iowa O struggled ALL GAME, that tackle might have prevented points.
Yeah it led to 3 points.

We're talking about the PI that was called on Iowa on the goal line before our 1st TD.

ADVERTISEMENT