ADVERTISEMENT

Most nauseating sports announcer

What a collection of gag-inducing sports babblers so far. How about a trio of oldies but not very goodies? Trev Alberts, Craig "Death Penalty" James, and Mark May.

Sorry if I missed it but...how many people just turn the sound off (or maybe have an alternative for the game) like listening to radio coverage with the TV on ?? This works great for me.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Jim Nantz is one of the most-syrupy, patronizing a-holes ever...

Tim Brando - like just about every ‘Tim’ I’ve ever met, is a putz

And if a “host” can be classified as an “announcer” Chris Berman takes the cake

Used to really hate Joe Buck until his interview on the Howard Stern Show where he was very self-depricating, funny, and likable ... something I’d assured myself he was not
Nantz is especially bad when doing Patriot games, ugh....!

Reactions: massimoManca II
FP Santangelo is awful. Comcast took the Philly Channel off our lineup and replaced it with the DC Channel and one of the few times i could only see the Phils When they played the Nats or Buccos. I dont mind the Pirate broadcast esp, when Bob Walk is on. They tell many strories of the Phillies/Pirate rivalary from the glory days.
One day i got home and turned on the Phils/Nats and he was once again doing his over the top gushing ( this was regarding Scherzer) and hiw great he was pitching that day so i figured the Phils were losing and Max was working on a perfect game. It was 3-3 in the 7th.
Listening to him, you think we should petiton The HOF to let active players in because every Nat more than qualifies because they ate best ever. The other guy will say something and then FP will try to impress by using his impressive vocabulary to say the same thing.

Holy Cow you could not be more correct. I live in MD and 99% of nats fans hate him. Every pitch is 'front door' or 'back door' While I know what he means, my wife asked and I told her. She said, why cant he just say inside or outside?

FP Santangelo is awful. Comcast took the Philly Channel off our lineup and replaced it with the DC Channel and one of the few times i could only see the Phils When they played the Nats or Buccos. I dont mind the Pirate broadcast esp, when Bob Walk is on. They tell many strories of the Phillies/Pirate rivalary from the glory days.
One day i got home and turned on the Phils/Nats and he was once again doing his over the top gushing ( this was regarding Scherzer) and hiw great he was pitching that day so i figured the Phils were losing and Max was working on a perfect game. It was 3-3 in the 7th.
Listening to him, you think we should petiton The HOF to let active players in because every Nat more than qualifies because they ate best ever. The other guy will say something and then FP will try to impress by using his impressive vocabulary to say the same thing.
Disagree. Fp does indeed play the homer but that is part of his job. Sometimes a bit too much but he’s actually fairly knowledgeable. And he does make it fun, with periodic off the wall references.

Methinks you just resent him as a non nats fan.

Not the worst announcer but a memorable moment.

I remember way back when Bill Russell did the color commentary for NBA games and the rules allowed 3 chances to make 2 FTs. Paul Silas makes one, misses the second, but makes the third. Russell says now that's a clutch player. He's only a 67% FT shooter on the season but when the team really needed it he made 2 out of 3.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I enjoy any announcer who (a) says little and (b) does not make himself the center of attention, rather than the game.
I would love to see a study of how many words they say today versus years ago.
Let the game speak for itself PLEASE.

Go Wofford.

I'm not one to complain about announcers, but this post did make me think of a post that I made last spring on another forum...

The following sequence just happened between the two announcers doing the Boise St-Washington softball game on ESPNU (and the fact that I'm watching this game at 1:19am with no rooting interest just proves that I'd pretty much watch any live sporting event over anything else I can find on TV).

To set the scene...Washington is up 5-0 in the top of the 5th. Boise had 1st and 2nd with no outs, and a 3-0 count. I swear to God that I just transcribed this word for word:

PBP Announcer: "And again, Plain can't find the zone. Three and O...Any chance you swing 3 and O if you're Cervantes?"
Color Announcer: "No, not after, what is it, a four pitch walk to the batter prior...You have to remember, Home Runs are rally killers."
PBP: "You've got to start it all over again, you're right"
Color: "A lot of people make fun of me, they're like, no they're not, you just want runs, and I'm like, no, when you're down by more than the amount of runs that the Home Run would put up on the board, then, I think they're rally killers. You want a couple of hits."
PBP: "I agree with you on that."
Color: "Yea"

Ground out, strikeout, ground out, and it's 5-0 heading to the bottom of the 5th...

Reactions: stormingnorm
This has got to be a Steeler fan. Merrill Reese is a legend and a great guy. He’s lost his fastball but a legend none the less.

I'm a masochistic Jets fan. His nasally voice is like nails on a blackboard to my ears, and I remember him crying after the Eagles lost to the Giants in 2011 how could the Eagles lose to one of the worst teams in the NFL. That "one of the worst teams in the NFL" only went on to beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl that year. Did I also mention I have a strong dislike for "homer" announcers?

Last edited:
Bill Hillgrove, when doing Pitt football and basketball. That said, I imagine Pitt guys would say the same about Steve Jones.

Bill Hillgrove, when doing Pitt football and basketball. That said, I imagine Pitt guys would say the same about Steve Jones.

Bill's issue is that he has a hard time following the action at this point, specially for football, as I think age has caught up to him.
Misidentifying players, messing up the distance to go, yards the play went for, down, etc.

Classic Walton last night...ASU/Oregon go to OT, and Walton heads to the bathroom. Play starts back up and Pasch is doing the game by himself until you see Walton come walking along the court to get back to the table.
Sounds like that might have been better than the alternative.

Bill's issue is that he has a hard time following the action at this point, specially for football, as I think age has caught up to him.
Misidentifying players, messing up the distance to go, yards the play went for, down, etc.

Hilgrove is really bad. Really bad. Often times, it's impossible to know the result of the play because he is so poor in telling you what happened. I am a Steeler fan, but only loosely, so I fully acknowledge the emotional connection some would have to him. But he is a really bad announcer.

Oh, and the guy for the Eagles is bad as well. How someone with a voice like that ever got into announcing is beyond me. His tone makes him unlistenable

What exactly is Mike Tirico's role at NBC. There's a guy I don't care for. They force him on us at the major golf events when it"s not even necessary. Sorry, but nothing wrong with Jimmy Roberts or Steve Sands doing interviews at The Players.

Get ready ready cause this dude will take over for Al Michaels on SNF and Dan Hicks on golf coverage some day.

That prick Tirico really hates PSU. Told it to me himself. To hell with him.

Sorry if I missed it but...how many people just turn the sound off (or maybe have an alternative for the game) like listening to radio coverage with the TV on ?? This works great for me.

If they did that, they couldn't be OUTRAGED. :eek: .

Hilgrove is really bad. Really bad. Often times, it's impossible to know the result of the play because he is so poor in telling you what happened. I am a Steeler fan, but only loosely, so I fully acknowledge the emotional connection some would have to him. But he is a really bad announcer.

Oh, and the guy for the Eagles is bad as well. How someone with a voice like that ever got into announcing is beyond me. His tone makes him unlistenable

Myron Cope says hello.

Merrill Reese has an amazing voice. He’s way over the hill, but he could make a 2 yard run by Anthony Toney sound like a legendary run by Gale Sayers. Amazing voice for radio

Myron Cope says hello.

Merrill Reese has an amazing voice. He’s way over the hill, but he could make a 2 yard run by Anthony Toney sound like a legendary run by Gale Sayers. Amazing voice for radio

Hey to each his own. I think Reese's voice is one of the worst radio voices I've ever heard. Nasally. Too high pitched. Almost whiny. But enjoy him if you like him.

Actually, Gary, if I recall correctly, use to be pro-PSU.

Correct. Two years ago he said PSU should be in the playoff over OSU. Last year he picked PSU to beat OSU. Unfortunately he was wrong on both counts.

Correct. Two years ago he said PSU should be in the playoff over OSU. Last year he picked PSU to beat OSU. Unfortunately he was wrong on both counts.
Danielson is a rare Big10 guy who sees through the Emperor’s New Clothes worn by the “Big 2”. He shot down calls in 2006 for a rematch between Ohio State and Michigan because they were “clearly the 2 best teams” according to many in Big 10 land. Helps that the SEC pays him so to speak, but he was right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT