ADVERTISEMENT

Most games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Penn State May be stout enough to support a decent running game against OSU. Look for the running game to set up the pass plays, and we mix the short pass to the flat to the backs, over the center to the tight ends, and bombs to the tight ends and Hamler. If we can rotate Brown and Cain we might be able to hold our own assuming some nice QBs runs mixed in.

The defense will be a different story. We have not shown an ability to hurry the QBs and when they get time they gain yards in bunches and run with abandon. We will need to find a way to attack the gaps, contain on the end, avoid PI penalties, cover tighter and hurry and contain Fields. All this is a tall order but stranger things have happened. Again it’s how well our D line can get to and HIT Fields

Last edited:
PSU is going to have to wear clock as opponents try to do against them. It is nice to know that they can do this... Can't let OSU just freely put up points and keep momentum the entire game.

With that said, I believe they will make more of a game out of this than what they are being given credit for...

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Penn State May be stout enough to support a decent running game against OSU. Look for the running game to set up the pass plays, and we mix the sort pass to the flat to the backs, over the center to the tight ends, and bombs to the tight ends and Hamler. If we can rotate Brown and Cain we might be able to hold our own assuming some nice QBs runs mixed in.

The defense will be a different story. We have not shown an ability to hurry the QBs and when they get time they gain yards in bunches and run with abandon. We will need to find a way to attack the gaps, contain on the end, avoid PI penalties, cover tighter and hurry and contain Fields. All this is a tall order but stranger things have happened. Again it’s how well our D line can get to and HIT Fields

Penn State May be stout enough to support a decent running game against OSU. Look for the running game to set up the pass plays, and we mix the sort pass to the flat to the backs, over the center to the tight ends, and bombs to the tight ends and Hamler. If we can rotate Brown and Cain we might be able to hold our own assuming some nice QBs runs mixed in.

How are we going to block #9

Thee(see what I did there?) 1st paragraph is assuming a competent OC.

I agree, games are won in the trenches. However, we have shown time and time again with these offensive schemes that the blocking is poor. I don't blame the players, I blame the blocking schemes. Not sure what they are doing but the linemen seemed confused at times on who to block and when. I have seen them watching our QB getting sacked too many times. I was always taught that if you are watching your QB get sacked then your not doing your job. Defensively in the trenches I feel the same way. Poor schemes at the wrong moments as we can never seem to keep an opposing offense pinned deep when we have them inside their own 10. I am not very optimistic we can win this game in the trenches. Something just seems off with the Big Uglies.

Part of your “if” Brown and Cain relies on the coach to not insert punt inducing Slade.

I wonder about Chase Young and his ability to play the run. Has anyone watched him play, and seen how he plays against the run? Everyone knows he can get after the QB as evidence by his sack numbers, but how has he responded if/when a team runs it down his throat?

Legitimate question.

I wonder about Chase Young and his ability to play the run. Has anyone watched him play, and seen how he plays against the run? Everyone knows he can get after the QB as evidence by his sack numbers, but how has he responded if/when a team runs it down his throat?

Legitimate question.
probably along the lines of, who knows? What teams have been in a position to just run it down their throats. Most teams are behind. But here is a good re cap of the Wisky game....

Legitimate question.
Well there was last years fourth and five running play

Reactions: wcg207
probably along the lines of, who knows? What teams have been in a position to just run it down their throats. Most teams are behind. But here is a good re cap of the Wisky game....

First time I’ve seen the OSU- Wisky game clips.

Wisky appeared to get some decent pressure on OSU but when they didn’t OSU had a field day throwing the ball. I expect the same against the shaky PSU pass D.

On top of that was the repeated OSU handoff to Dobbins running wide that gashed Wisky repeatedly. The PSU defensive ends have a repeated problem of losing edge containment.

Add in some recent poor tackling and an O that disappears for quarters at a time and PSU will not be able to keep up in a shootout type game IMO.

I appreciate the hope of many here but I don’t think OSU will turn the ball over enough to decrease the gap between the teams.

Not most, all games are won at line of scrimmage.

Runs it down his throat

Legitimate question.
Runs it down his throat ?? LMAO

ADVERTISEMENT