- We still have no running game. 29 carries for 33 yards. It's difficult to win with that and there is no short term solution.
- Clifford looked much better than he did vs Illinois. I'd say 80%. The problem is he still can't or won't run. His running is the only thing that keeps opposing defenses honest. The play where he drew a targeting violation was a perfect example. It worked out because of the penalty but a healthy Clifford would have lowered his shoulder to get a few yards instead of going down for a 1 yard loss.
- The play where Warren blocked for Dotson was creative. So was the play with multiple RBs. Where was that vs. Illinois?
- Our DL is very weak against a good running team and only average at getting pressure on the QB. The Mustipher injury was huge. I think we would be undefeated with a healthy Mustipher. As it is PSU needs a lot of help from the DBs in run support. That exposes us to big plays downfield and that cost us last night.
- PSU started out with a 3 man rush keeping defenders back. It worked pretty well. I understand that OSU adjusted and we couldn't keep doing the same thing all game but it seemed like we totally abandoned that in the second half. We went back to more 4 man fronts and blitzes that never got to Stroud and we got burned a few times. I can't help but to think that Franklin decided we needed an explosine play on defense and that we could only get it by going back to what we've typically done.
- The big play was obviously Clifford's fumble returned for a TD but Franklins decision to go for it on 4th down on the OSU 43 yd line was also big. PSU stopped OSU when they got the ball but they punted us to our own 11 yard line. Field position was totally changed and I think that ultimately led to a 7 pt swing. Cain's fumble on our first play from scrimmage was also huge.
- Why is our offense so disorganized? How many times did Clifford have to redirect people then force a snap as time ran out? IIRC one of those was on 1st down after OSU punted. How can you not know the play after being together on the sideline?
- Stout is one of the great punters in PSU history. He's probably the best KO guy PSU has ever had. His FG kicking is marginal. The FG to end the half wasn't struck well and we were lucky it went through. His 47 yd attempt at the end of the game didn't have a chance. Is Pinegar coming back next year?
I'm not going to be happy if we lose recruits due to the uncertainty surrounding Franklin's future. Next year is going to be a rebuilding year so as it is. That happens but you don't like to thing that way after 4-5 and 7-5 years.