ADVERTISEMENT

More redshirt pulling in Iowa City

My guess and my guess only: ADS looked gassed against a way inferior opponent when wrestling Minnesota (like ADS at his best techs him within a period) and I don't think he wraps his hand for a fashion statement. Pretty clear something is ailing ADS physically and it's not COVID since he's with the team. Possible it's affecting ADS mentally and he told Brands he's done for the season (hence Brands said it was Austin's decision) and Brands doesn't fully buy it's that bad (similar to how he publicly stated after his default against RBY, he felt ADS could have continued). Tom is currently trying to convince him to return (after getting medical evaluations to convince ADS he's okay) and he's pretty optimistic he will.

But because ADS declared he's done, Tom has to get ready for the postseason without him. Cullan has been told there is a chance ADS would be back and thus he'd lose a postseason and Cullan is okay with it.
Could you be more specific with your guess?

ADS had surgery on his right hand following NCAA’s last year. He dislocated his right ring finger pretty bad last year at big tens. In fact you can see it pointing damn near straight up when he was in the down position in his second to last match (If memory holds). He was somehow able to compete at nationals but his hand still bothered him.

I’m almost positive this is the same issue he’s dealing with now. Cullan pulled his shirt because he’s already redshirted and there is a chance ADS doesn’t wrestle again (I think slim), depending how he feels, we all know how important his right hand grip is in his wrestling. My best source left the athletic department earlier this year so this is conjecture, but I believe this is a solid and plausible guess.

Austin by all accounts is an incredibly nice kid and everyone who meets him would say the same, but when he’s on the wrestling mat he’s different and can be emotional. I think this injury led to his outburst at NCAA’s . I also think it may have contributed at the Luther Open, given that this was his first real competition of the new season. We’ve seen ADS be affected by injuries before, you all like to say he tapped out against RBY. But that tap out cost him 2.5 weeks of mat time. Could he have finished maybe, should he have finished…different story. I for one don’t think a dual in January matters as much as March. Hence the decision to get this done now. Which maybe what Tom meant when he said it was Austin’s decision. That’s my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
ADS had surgery on his right hand following NCAA’s last year. He dislocated his right ring finger pretty bad last year at big tens. In fact you can see it pointing damn near straight up when he was in the down position in his second to last match (If memory holds). He was somehow able to compete at nationals but his hand still bothered him.

I’m almost positive this is the same issue he’s dealing with now. Cullan pulled his shirt because he’s already redshirted and there is a chance ADS doesn’t wrestle again (I think slim), depending how he feels, we all know how important his right hand grip is in his wrestling. My best source left the athletic department earlier this year so this is conjecture, but I believe this is a solid and plausible guess.

Austin by all accounts is an incredibly nice kid and everyone who meets him would say the same, but when he’s on the wrestling mat he’s different and can be emotional. I think this injury led to his outburst at NCAA’s . I also think it may have contributed at the Luther Open, given that this was his first real competition of the new season. We’ve seen ADS be affected by injuries before, you all like to say he tapped out against RBY. But that tap out cost him 2.5 weeks of mat time. Could he have finished maybe, should he have finished…different story. I for one don’t think a dual in January matters as much as March. Hence the decision to get this done now. Which maybe what Tom meant when he said it was Austin’s decision. That’s my two cents. Take it or leave it.
Thank for your insight. That all sounds logical. I live in the district that AD wrestled in high school. I was able to watch him several times. I do not recall any issues at that time. I hope he heals and can get back on the mat. Dont be a stranger and stop over more often. We'll try to be on our best behavior.

A sound rational reply. Who are you....REALLY? :)

Thank for your insight. That all sounds logical. I live in the district that AD wrestled in high school. I was able to watch him several times. I do not recall any issues at that time. I hope he heals and can get back on the mat. Dont be a stranger and stop over more often. We'll try to be on our best behavior.
I worked with a guy who has a kid who knows DeSanto quite well. DeSantis nickname in school was "spaz".

If you join then WildTurk won’t be the self proclaimed lone wolf anyone (even though we have several Hawkeye regulars)
I’ve been lurking around here the past few years, I’ve seen the HR peeps show up on here. To be fair I think js just loves to argue. He’d argue that the rain in the middle of a hurricane isn’t bad if someone told him he was wet. So, seeing him on here kinda makes sense. I’m sure you all get along with us Hawk fans. Haha

I’ve been lurking around here the past few years, I’ve seen the HR peeps show up on here. To be fair I think js just loves to argue. He’d argue that the rain in the middle of a hurricane isn’t bad if someone told him he was wet. So, seeing him on here kinda makes sense. I’m sure you all get along with us Hawk fans. Haha
It took the board a bit to get over the mental hump that js8793 was here to downplay our wrestlers. I lurk a bit over at HR (duh) and noticed he’s the same guy there basically. Tbh a guy who analyzes wrestling as technically as he does should be welcomed everywhere, great addition to any board! Appreciate you sharing the tidbit about ADS.

I already told ya you were my favorite nitlion6.
giphy.gif

Just a thought on pulling redshirts. Don't you think that the new transfer rule guidelines and the option on entering the portal has changed some of the coaches decisions on pulling shirts. If you have a kid that might be leaving your program,the decision to wrestle him doesn't effect the teams future if he leaves. In addition, maybe by wrestling the kid, he decides to stay in the program.

Just a thought on pulling redshirts. Don't you think that the new transfer rule guidelines and the option on entering the portal has changed some of the coaches decisions on pulling shirts. If you have a kid that might be leaving your program,the decision to wrestle him doesn't effect the teams future if he leaves. In addition, maybe by wrestling the kid, he decides to stay in the program.
I'm going to stick with your 1st thought. All of the Iowa redshirts that have been pulled were/are leaving the program.🤣

My actual thought, though, is that if a coach found out a kid was going to the portal, then pulled the shirt just to burn it, wouldn't that be the most vindictive, conniving BS, ever?

Hmmm, now I'm back to my first thought.

I'm going to stick with your 1st thought. All of the Iowa redshirts that have been pulled were/are leaving the program.🤣

My actual thought, though, is that if a coach found out a kid was going to the portal, then pulled the shirt just to burn it, wouldn't that be the most vindictive, conniving BS, ever?

Hmmm, now I'm back to my first thought.
My thought is not so much for the top recruits that have a spot lined up in the future but maybe a kid is pinched by numbers or not going to make weight that he was recruited to fill.??

"After beating Purdue, Brands said DeSanto “took the day off,” and that there were “no issues.” He added that the decision was DeSanto’s choice. DeSanto, ranked No. 3 nationally at 133 by InterMat, is 11-0 this season with seven technical falls."

Sounds like "It's up to him," doesn't it?

"After beating Purdue, Brands said DeSanto “took the day off,” and that there were “no issues.” He added that the decision was DeSanto’s choice. DeSanto, ranked No. 3 nationally at 133 by InterMat, is 11-0 this season with seven technical falls."

Sounds like "It's up to him," doesn't it?
Its up to him ...may be...TnT version of ....hes up in the room working out

I will give the triplet tasmanian devils (TnT & AD) the benefit of the doubt. There is something afoot that is placing AD's finishing the season in jeopardy. He's not gone for sure but it seems pulling Schriever's shirt is a calculated move to both help get him ready and possibly build a resume for seeding at Bigs if necessary.

The list of possible causes both here and on HR gets longer each day. So far we have:

Thumb injury, as he was supposedly seen with a splint.
Wrist injury. He is having severe challenges making weight. He is on double secret probation for yet more episodes of loss of emotional control after matches or in the room. He failed a class. Schriever doesn't want to stay in school for 6 years, or he has threatened to go to the portal if he doesn't wrestle.

By next week the list will be longer.

I'll toss in that AD is so afraid of RBY that he needs to take a few matches off on advance just so he can avoid his absence in our dual looking like ducking. :)

It now seems clearer he is not out for the year, so I think any sane person would place his chances of entering Bigs at 90%+.

Then again, Brands might be reading a very poor book on pshycological warfare.

I think it means Desanto is medically cleared to compete (no real risk of further damage), but did not yet feel comfortable enough to compete, given his hand and the competition.

I believe Iowa coaches have no issue with that decision, because:
1) DeSanto's points weren't expected to be needed to win the duals he skipped;
2) A healthy DeSanto in March that gets bonus is better than one that does not (or Cullan Schriever as an alternative).

In the most recent Iowa presser, Coach Brands said how the love DeSanto and Assad. When the coach says "love" I take that to mean all his actions will be based on the wrestler's best interest-- mentally and physically, short-term and long-term.

In reference to Assad, he spoke about how an injured wrestler who hadn't been before might not realize their capability to wrestle thru it. I seem to recall Coach Brands making similar comments after DeSanto forfeited and Coach Cael making similar comments after Nick Suriano's injury.

In the press conference where Brands said to stay off the wrestling boards, he spoke about having options and then I believe he mentioned how sometimes the medical staff make the call.

I expect to see DeSanto in March in his best state, whatever that ends up being.

I will give the triplet tasmanian devils (TnT & AD) the benefit of the doubt. There is something afoot that is placing AD's finishing the season in jeopardy. He's not gone for sure but it seems pulling Schriever's shirt is a calculated move to both help get him ready and possibly build a resume for seeding at Bigs if necessary.

The list of possible causes both here and on HR gets longer each day. So far we have:

Thumb injury, as he was supposedly seen with a splint.
Wrist injury. He is having severe challenges making weight. He is on double secret probation for yet more episodes of loss of emotional control after matches or in the room. He failed a class. Schriever doesn't want to stay in school for 6 years, or he has threatened to go to the portal if he doesn't wrestle.

By next week the list will be longer.

I'll toss in that AD is so afraid of RBY that he needs to take a few matches off on advance just so he can avoid his absence in our dual looking like ducking. :)

It now seems clearer he is not out for the year, so I think any sane person would place his chances of entering Bigs at 90%+.

Then again, Brands might be reading a very poor book on pshycological warfare.

I think it means Desanto is medically cleared to compete (no real risk of further damage), but did not yet feel comfortable enough to compete, given his hand and the competition.

I believe Iowa coaches have no issue with that decision, because:
1) DeSanto's points weren't expected to be needed to win the duals he skipped;
2) A healthy DeSanto in March that gets bonus is better than one that does not (or Cullan Schriever as an alternative).

In the most recent Iowa presser, Coach Brands said how the love DeSanto and Assad. When the coach says "love" I take that to mean all his actions will be based on the wrestler's best interest-- mentally and physically, short-term and long-term.

In reference to Assad, he spoke about how an injured wrestler who hadn't been before might not realize their capability to wrestle thru it. I seem to recall Coach Brands making similar comments after DeSanto forfeited and Coach Cael making similar comments after Nick Suriano's injury.

In the press conference where Brands said to stay off the wrestling boards, he spoke about having options and then I believe he mentioned how sometimes the medical staff make the call.

I expect to see DeSanto in March in his best state, whatever that ends up being.
Why burn a redshirt then?

Reactions: mcpat and mjmirv
Why burn a redshirt then?
It's a hedge against DeSanto feeling he's able to compete or staff doctors changing their mind.

Iowa hasn't given up in winning this year's championship. Cullan is second best option for Iowa at 133. Brands said Cullan Schriever was on board and it wasn't such a big deal as Cullan was in his second year.

Maybe Coach Brands is looking ahead regarding 9.9 scholarship flexibility and future lower weight lineups considering Spencer coming back and Ayala's performance.

ADVERTISEMENT