ADVERTISEMENT

More redshirt pulling in Iowa City

This whole thing with ADS is just Tom taking another page from the 3” binder to emulate Cael in yet another way.

You know, like:
We have fun” —-> “We have a blast

Except in this example,
It was DeSanto’s decision
is Brandsspeak for
It’s really up to him
Yeah, that is pretty dang obvious. Whatever it is, Tommy hit a limit. Of course that limit will be stretched heading into the Big10s.
Turk is probably feeling bad about the cards Tom has dealt himself.

The starter has in his career beaten the last 2 national champs and the last 2 runners-up. What exactly is there to figure out?
There's generally 2 reasons to pull a shirt. One, trouble, either academically, behavioral, or injury. Two, the athlete demands to perform or they will leave. They surely didn't pull a shirt just to beat Northwestern.

The whole, we have to figure out 133lb? Is someone losing in the room? God knows, everyone beat Nico, so maybe that's it. Lol

I have no idea what is happening but can't help but wonder if the camel's back could no longer support all the straw. As much as it might pain Brands, people are interested in why one of the best and highest scoring wrestlers on the defending national championship team is suddenly riding the pine while his backup burns his redshirt. It is news. If one of Alabama's best football players suddenly wasn't playing, I doubt ESPN would accept "we need to figure things out at that position" as the explanation.
I am curious myself. My reply was because your post reminded me of "Clue" discussions my family has had.

Reactions: mcpat
If AD was banged up, Tom B. would have given a similar response that he gave for 141 lbs.
Remember that when Desanto defaulted against RBY...Brands basically said that Desanto panicked because he had never been injured before and it was Desanto's decision to default. This could very well be similar in that it "Was Desanto's decision" not to wrestle and Brands decided to pull a shirt and put out a willing wrestler to give Desanto the choice: If you "can't" wrestle.....we have someone that will. Your call. I kinda think this may be on point.

Shock collars work great on the dog and wife, dont see why it wouldnt work on DeSanto.
giphy.gif

If you decided to throw in the towel on 2022 . . . what changes would you make now to improve your 2023 & 2024 teams? TNT may have decided to bring the next generation along now.

Reactions: crablegs1
Two post weekend observations:

1) What's with Byers repeatedly calling him Desantis? Is he fixated on Florida politics?

2) my suspicion, AD is in the dog house, with Brands' managing him on a tight leash. Probably some sort of double secret probation. His post match outbursts and antics within the last two weeks plus whatever might be happening behind closed doors in their room probably has him sniffing strike 3. As a result they have pulled the shirt as a contingency plan of AD having yet one more screw up. I bet we see him compete within the next week or so, but he is skating on the thinnest of ice.

Granted 100% conjecture, but I don't think he is done (yet) and I don't think he is injured. I do think he is Austin Desanto, there is only one.

1) Noticed that too. While annoying, and I am sure he would be embarrassed if called on it, JB does do general talk radio daily and Desantis is certainly someone talked about regularly on the radio.

strike 3. Thin ice. Your talking about Iowa, they need him for any shot at title he will be wrestling big ten championship even if its not till then no matter what he’s done or doing behind the gold curtain. They burned a shirt in hooes of keeping dual win streak going. Didnt care about kid not wrestling post season evidently, just whats goid for TNT

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN and RB-Old
My guess and my guess only: ADS looked gassed against a way inferior opponent when wrestling Minnesota (like ADS at his best techs him within a period) and I don't think he wraps his hand for a fashion statement. Pretty clear something is ailing ADS physically and it's not COVID since he's with the team. Possible it's affecting ADS mentally and he told Brands he's done for the season (hence Brands said it was Austin's decision) and Brands doesn't fully buy it's that bad (similar to how he publicly stated after his default against RBY, he felt ADS could have continued). Tom is currently trying to convince him to return (after getting medical evaluations to convince ADS he's okay) and he's pretty optimistic he will.

But because ADS declared he's done, Tom has to get ready for the postseason without him. Cullan has been told there is a chance ADS would be back and thus he'd lose a postseason and Cullan is okay with it.

Reactions: johnyt9
Also, Iowa has a major logjam at 125 through 141 but I think it's also clear who their long term answers are at those weights. 125 - Jesuroga, 133 - Ayala, 141 - Henson. Ybarra and Schriever are the odd men out overall IMO. Schriever could bump up and beat out Henson but that isn't something I'd bet on. Since Ybarra and Schriever kind of de facto redshirted, that could factor in the decision. Who wants to stay 6 years in college when you aren't starting a good bit. The fact is 2021 not counting threw a lot of things off but especially for Iowa when you factor in Lee is now around another year and that's a full scholarship that isn't coming off the books.

Isn’t this actually Schrievers second year at Iowa? I’d bet Desanto is just going to be out a couple weeks and Schriever decided he doesn’t want to be in college for six years and took the opportunity to be in some duals?

My guess and my guess only: ADS looked gassed against a way inferior opponent when wrestling Minnesota (like ADS at his best techs him within a period) and I don't think he wraps his hand for a fashion statement. Pretty clear something is ailing ADS physically and it's not COVID since he's with the team. Possible it's affecting ADS mentally and he told Brands he's done for the season (hence Brands said it was Austin's decision) and Brands doesn't fully buy it's that bad (similar to how he publicly stated after his default against RBY, he felt ADS could have continued). Tom is currently trying to convince him to return (after getting medical evaluations to convince ADS he's okay) and he's pretty optimistic he will.

But because ADS declared he's done, Tom has to get ready for the postseason without him. Cullan has been told there is a chance ADS would be back and thus he'd lose a postseason and Cullan is okay with it.
Pure conjecture or do you have some inside info — ie, a guess, but an educated one? Either way, really interesting take that seems entirely plausible and demonizes none of the stakeholders. Nicely done.

Quite plausible!

strike 3. Thin ice. Your talking about Iowa, they need him for any shot at title he will be wrestling big ten championship even if its not till then no matter what he’s done or doing behind the gold curtain. They burned a shirt in hooes of keeping dual win streak going. Didnt care about kid not wrestling post season evidently, just whats goid for TNT
Except that Iowa could have forfeited 133 to Illinois and Northwestern and won comfortably. Glad you took the opportunity to trash Iowa's coaches though. Good on you

Pure conjecture or do you have some inside info — ie, a guess, but an educated one? Either way, really interesting take that seems entirely plausible and demonizes none of the stakeholders. Nicely done.
I’m sorry, but ADS vountarily saying he doesn’t want to go the rest of the way does not sound plausible to me.

Only way I see that is if he is saying ‘no’ to some sort of condition or ultimatum. Which I then find implausible by his presence on the bench (unless Tom were giving him some sort of grace period to make up his mind).

Gotta be something else, imo.

Reactions: nitlion6
I’m sorry, but ADS vountarily saying he doesn’t want to go the rest of the way does not sound plausible to me.

Only way I see that is if he is saying ‘no’ to some sort of condition or ultimatum. Which I then find implausible by his presence on the bench (unless Tom were giving him some sort of grace period to make up his mind).

Also a plausible viewpoint. Gold star for you too, slush.

@McScoreley I was in the process of Liking it and then you deleted it. Valid point.
Didn’t want to start a war but I’ll repost. I basically said we did the same thing to Seth while working to get Kerk eligible to save duals. It didn’t work out and turns out those duals were valuable. Should we not even have recommended wrestling duals to his family? I’m sure the possibility of losing a postseason was mentioned and his family accepted. Clearly there’s no hard feelings because Seth still wrestles for us to this day despite moving onto football.

I deleted because I remember Hawkeye Report vehemently attacked Cael for doing that and I’m ironically defending them now as they are backtracking on the take that letting kids wrestle duals without a guarantee of a postseason when redshirt is available is an automatic evil thing. But I remember now we do hold ourselves to a higher standard on BWI and thus can take the high road.

Reactions: Ski and backdrft76
So mcsoreley your saying brands recruited over some blue chippers. Say it isnt so, according to HR cael only does that

Austin has already said No Mas against RBY…so saying he doesn’t want to go isn’t unprecedented

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT