ADVERTISEMENT

More redshirt pulling in Iowa City

Summary of Brands post match interview

Tony kept choking. Hit His tipping point.
Sometimes we try to win with one TD and if not, we intimidate the referee.
They set the tone on us at the start.
Gonna burn all redshirts at 125 and 133.
Jaydan is resting In an assisted living facility.
Stay off them dad gum message boards. I can’t post if you keep bashing me.
Trust that things aren't' a disaster…YET.
Tony almost got his leg torn off. it’s still better than being shot in the knee.
Don't look past us.
We gotta get a plan
More redshirts will be burned…Starts at Illinois on Sunday.
FIFY

Iowa has been a flipping disaster ever since Spencer announced he was ducking 125 this year.

You have to feel for them. They have been a disaster since they sent 3 favorites to the finals and only came away with one, while we sent 4 and win 4, 2 taking down Iowa in the process.

I bring it up not to gloat, but to reminisce, that result certainly took some luster off of the team championship. At least on our board it felt like we won even though we hadn't, and on their board there was a lot of complaining.

All of that added fuel to the fire and set the stage for the big return this year of their whole team.

It really sucks that their return and defend at full strength won't happen. I remain 100% convinced with a healthy 10 for both team we would have won. I am sure we will all do the math and it will not be hard to specials the result, but there is no substitute for actual wrestling and the addition of the Ivy team throws a bit of a monkey wrench in that approach. To be clear we have already seen on ne 'curious' decision related to a redshirt being pulled. Until we hear something directly from TnT or AD I will assume he will be back in the lineup before Bigs.

Now we have to hope PSU and Michigan remain at full strength as well. We have had no shortage of impactful injuries over the past decade, and know too well what they can mean. With only 10 slots and 9.9, it's almost or luck that any team has someone the quality of Drake sitting behind a Spencer. Sure they probably lose 10 points but it remains a best case scenario otherwise. It could have been all 25 points lost.

If AD is gone we have all lost one of the most exciting guys to watch in the country, and the more payback victories from Roman to solidify who is better - even wrestlestat's algorythm might have had to fully get it right afterwards.

Well, all of Iowa's 'old' men (who in reality should now be closer to their respective physical atheletic primes than our guys), should be going for individual championships to close out their careers. I wouldn't bet on any of them, but they clearly have something to wrestle for even if the team title has slipped out of reach.

And on our front, we should remain sympathetic and respectful as we have seen the other side of the coin as well. In my book the rivalry has no place for 'snide or gloating' commentary when it comes to injuries. I think we as a collective have done pretty well so far. Remember a single positive CV test or more could wipe out our kid's dreams and the team title along with it. Let's keep the karma positive.

Summary of Brands post match interview

Tony kept chopping. Hit identical shots.
Sometimes we try to win with one TD and sometimes we lose by one point.
They set the tone on us at the start.
Gonna figure things out at 133.
Jaydan is resting.
Stay off them dad gum message boards. Don't believe what you read.
Trust that things aren't' a disaster.
Tony almost got his leg torn off. Good fight back,
Don't look past us.
We gotta get better.
Starts at Illinois on Sunday.
There isn't a gif for that?

Reactions: nitlion6
What we know about the ADS situation:

We know ADS has been in trouble on several occasions over the years. We know ADS has had injuries to his hand. We know ADS beat Schriever in the finals at the Luther Open and it’s been said that he had some sort of issue afterward involving Schriever’s father. (Read the Uh-Oh thread; an eyewitness says it was very brief and not at all like what has been written elsewhere.). We know ADS won a 6-4 match eight days ago and that Brands was critical of ADS in the post-match interview. We know that ADS then sat out the Sunday dual with Brands saying it was ADS’s decision to do so. We know ADS didn’t wrestle on Friday and that they pulled Schriever’s redshirt.

All true but via HR we also know AD was on the bench with the team last night. One would think that seems to take a behavioral issue off the table.

A lot can happen in the room tied either to behavioral issues or more likely injury.

Brands statements 'we have to figure things out at 133' and 'stay off the boards, it's a small thing' (paraphrased) are intriguing. When you have a top 4 kid available, you don't have to figure anything out. Something is rotten in Denmark, we just don't know what yet.

Last edited:
remember, not everyone wants to go to college for 6 years. schriever is not a true freshman. it’s a puzzling move, but we don’t know what’s really going on. that’s the concern to me. there seems to be something going on.
The fact that there is SOMETHING going on is one of the few things I agree with you on. I also think that whatever is going on is not a positive development from a Hawkeye perspective. Fortunately the little people in Iowa City have a couple months to get their sh*t together.

It does seem strange. ADS looked pretty sluggish the last time he wrestled, but I figured he was just recovering from Illness somewhat like I thought about Nick Lee in the dual against Lehigh. Cullan is a gamer and probably wants to wrestle even if it means not having an extra year down the road. I dtill think ADS will be back and at high energy a little later in the year. Time will tell. From a non Iowa fan but a huge fan of our local high school talent I love that Drake and Cullan are wrestling so I can watch them. Both super tough kids imo and well liked, but huge shoes to fill.

What we know about the ADS situation:

We know ADS has been in trouble on several occasions over the years. We know ADS has had injuries to his hand. We know ADS beat Schriever in the finals at the Luther Open and it’s been said that he had some sort of issue afterward involving Schriever’s father. (Read the Uh-Oh thread; an eyewitness says it was very brief and not at all like what has been written elsewhere.). We know ADS won a 6-4 match eight days ago and that Brands was critical of ADS in the post-match interview. We know that ADS then sat out the Sunday dual with Brands saying it was ADS’s decision to do so. We know ADS didn’t wrestle on Friday and that they pulled Schriever’s redshirt.
So, you are guessing Schriever's father, in the Conservatory, with the Candlestick?

Todd O’Connor
bagdad-bob.jpg

we also know AD was on the bench with the team last night. One would think that seems to take a behavioral issue off the table.
Why would one think that?

If we're speculating, one might as easily think that Iowa wanted ADS to be there to fully appreciate what he was missing out on, or to best keep an eye on him (depending on one's preferred narrative).

Reactions: Ski and nitlion6
You pull the shirt of a good recruit to teach a senior+ a lesson? Not ruling it out, but I doubt that's it.
I was only speaking to why ADS might be on the bench traveling with the team. I was not speaking to any possible merit or rationale for pulling CS redshirt.

So, you are guessing Schriever's father, in the Conservatory, with the Candlestick?
I have no idea what is happening but can't help but wonder if the camel's back could no longer support all the straw. As much as it might pain Brands, people are interested in why one of the best and highest scoring wrestlers on the defending national championship team is suddenly riding the pine while his backup burns his redshirt. It is news. If one of Alabama's best football players suddenly wasn't playing, I doubt ESPN would accept "we need to figure things out at that position" as the explanation.

This whole thing with ADS is just Tom taking another page from the 3” binder to emulate Cael in yet another way.

You know, like:
We have fun” —-> “We have a blast

Except in this example,
It was DeSanto’s decision
is Brandsspeak for
It’s really up to him

Reactions: nitlion6 and mcpat
I have no idea what is happening but can't help but wonder if the camel's back could no longer support all the straw. As much as it might pain Brands, people are interested in why one of the best and highest scoring wrestlers on the defending national championship team is suddenly riding the pine while his backup burns his redshirt. It is news. If one of Alabama's best football players suddenly wasn't playing, I doubt ESPN would accept "we need to figure things out at that position" as the explanation.
And he’s been, ironically, holding down the fort for Iowa this year during all the turmoil. I mean, I until now, him, Cass and Warner had been the only constants (similar to Dean, Carter and BB for us)

Reactions: Hotshoe
Desanto makes Suriano look boring and normal. As long as he promises no more kimura attempts, I’d prefer to see him in the mat for the last two months of his career.

Reactions: Fatmarc and mcpat
And he’s been, ironically, holding down the fort for Iowa this year during all the turmoil. I mean, I until now, him, Cass and Warner had been the only constants (similar to Dean, Carter and BB for us)
Warner missed some significant time. I might substitute Marinelli for him in the list of constants holding down the fort. But yeah, ADS did play that part.

From a distance, burning shirts for two weights when only one weight was actually a hole needing to be filled seems impetuous. Maybe there's more to the story--there always is--but one reading is that he's trying to light a fire under DeSanto.

There's drama in every locker room. Everyone is competitive, wants a break, has a compelling backstory (at least in their own mind), and every coaching decision is vital because there are only ten slots and three times as many wrestlers. Keep the wrestlers focused on individual goals and manage their expectations, and the drama can be minimized. I guess it might be tempting to play guys competing for the same spot off each other, and to some degree that's unavoidable because you need to know who will go at what weight. But I know I'd resent being used as fodder for the motivation of someone higher up the food chain, if I had no realistic chance to unseat them, at least when I came around to grasping what had happened. Yes, that's speculative on my part, but they're curious moves that invite speculation when a rationale isn't offered up.

- Ybarra redshirt burned but clearly could’ve used this year as a redshirt year
- Swafford redshirt pulled to wrestle at the southern scuffle although could’ve wrestled unattached
- Ayala redshirt pulled for good reason
- Cullen redshirt pulled for? TBD

From a distance, burning shirts for two weights when only one weight was actually a hole needing to be filled seems impetuous. Maybe there's more to the story--there always is--but one reading is that he's trying to light a fire under DeSanto.

There's drama in every locker room. Everyone is competitive, wants a break, has a compelling backstory (at least in their own mind), and every coaching decision is vital because there are only ten slots and three times as many wrestlers. Keep the wrestlers focused on individual goals and manage their expectations, and the drama can be minimized. I guess it might be tempting to play guys competing for the same spot off each other, and to some degree that's unavoidable because you need to know who will go at what weight. But I know I'd resent being used as fodder for the motivation of someone higher up the food chain, if I had no realistic chance to unseat them, at least when I came around to grasping what had happened. Yes, that's speculative on my part, but they're curious moves that invite speculation when a rationale isn't offered up.

Iowa's new theme song.

Reactions: tikk10
Whatever this latest Iowa wrestling drama means, one thing seems clear: Spencer Lee is the glue that holds things together for that program.

Reactions: Ski and nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT