ADVERTISEMENT

More Lineup Movement?

Hall, right now, could take off the '19 and '20 tourneys and compete in '21 & '22. I agree this possibility seems unlikely, just given the context-free-ness of the posted screenshot, but nobody's close enough behind PSU for the '19 tourney that swapping out a Bergeleeren + Hall combo for a Verkleeren + Berge combo introduces some huge risk to another team title. Given track records of a year of Lorenzo experience, is it preposterous to suggest either combo provides two Finalists? Also given track records, and just like nobody batting an eye at Nickal's number one-ed ness at 197, Nolf & Cenzo are both established so much (see: 2x Champs), would anybody scoff at their chances at a third title after bumping up a weight?

The more pertinent question is, will Mark Hall contribute points to Cael's 8th or 11th team title?
Mark Hall turns 22 in January. If he wrestles for PSU in 2022, he would be 25 years old at that time. Seems well beyond unlikely.

Mark Hall turns 22 in January. If he wrestles for PSU in 2022, he would be 25 years old at that time. Seems well beyond unlikely.

Haha, this brings back so many terrible memories of message boards discussing Hall and his age.

I think Nomad said it best on FRL, I am glad the PSU guys are having a little fun if they are trolling. And/or if it is real, I find it hilarious they'd be breaking the news on IG.

Reactions: diggerpup
80 years from now:

"I was curious how Fist to the Back first became illegal, so I Googlepedia'd it and it appears to trace back to a Nebraska student announcer..."
The cornhuskers are just trend setters in every way. Quite the word smiths, they are.

I hear you.

But I also think we've entered a new age of how the wrestlers themselves and we as fans can consider the variety of wrestler career options. America appears to be improving internationally, at all three age group levels, and the elite almost all state World & Olympic medals as career goals.

With the growth of the RTCs, usually geographically centralized around top-tier college programs, the various college eligibility clock options, and now the wide-open college transfer rules, I think the wrestlers are now starting to look at their college-eligible competition years holistically, in the larger context of their world medal aspirations.

Functionally, it all can be considered to be melded together into simply "training" for world medals.

Nico took a year off when he was 22, and competed collegiately at 23 (I might be a year off there). Alan Waters did the same. Andrew Howe took off two years after JR year of college and before SR year. I think he was 23 or 24 when he lost in the college finals to Chris Perry. Nico's now stopped traveling to State College, b/c the Pitt RTC has bolstered itself into a solid training room option. Nick & Joe Lee skipped their senior years of HS, to train, without impacting their college eligibility.

Age doesn't need to be a deterrent to the possibility of competing collegiately, with eligibility that was saved up via any of the various clock-pausing devices, later in what historically has been known as a the college part of a wrestler's career.

I just think it's time we fans catch up to the wrestlers in being less dismissive of all the options, and give them more consideration as viable choices. The rules are there to give wrestlers more options in how they train & compete both collegiately and internationally.

It's time to consider those options more seriously.

Reactions: mcruny42 and tikk10
I hear you.

But I also think we've entered a new age of how the wrestlers themselves and we as fans can consider the variety of wrestler career options. America appears to be improving internationally, at all three age group levels, and the elite almost all state World & Olympic medals as career goals.

With the growth of the RTCs, usually geographically centralized around top-tier college programs, the various college eligibility clock options, and now the wide-open college transfer rules, I think the wrestlers are now starting to look at their college-eligible competition years holistically, in the larger context of their world medal aspirations.

Functionally, it all can be considered to be melded together into simply "training" for world medals.

Nico took a year off when he was 22, and competed collegiately at 23 (I might be a year off there). Alan Waters did the same. Andrew Howe took off two years after JR year of college and before SR year. I think he was 23 or 24 when he lost in the college finals to Chris Perry. Nico's now stopped traveling to State College, b/c the Pitt RTC has bolstered itself into a solid training room option. Nick & Joe Lee skipped their senior years of HS, to train, without impacting their college eligibility.

Age doesn't need to be a deterrent to the possibility of competing collegiately, with eligibility that was saved up via any of the various clock-pausing devices, later in what historically has been known as a the college part of a wrestler's career.

I just think it's time we fans catch up to the wrestlers in being less dismissive of all the options, and give them more consideration as viable choices. The rules are there to give wrestlers more options in how they train & compete both collegiately and internationally.

It's time to consider those options more seriously.
Wait, does this mean Pitt is now a viable option?

Just goes to show that there is no problem that can't be solved by adding 2 Penn Staters (in this case, Ging and Nico).

Reactions: diggerpup
How old was Matt Brown his Sr year? He had a mormon mission before PSU, right?

Right.
2008: HSSR, age 18?
2009: TRFR, redshirted at Iowa State, 19?
2010: Angola, 20?
2011: Angola, 21?
2012: RSFR, PSU, 22?
2013: RSSO, 23?
2014: RSJR, 24?
2015: National Champ, 25?

A Mark Hall redshirt would not be a surprise at all. A reshirt this year and Olympic RS next year puts him on the freestyle mat for two years trying to make the team. Good strategy.

A Mark Hall redshirt would not be a surprise at all. A reshirt this year and Olympic RS next year puts him on the freestyle mat for two years trying to make the team. Good strategy.
trying to knock out Dake/Buroughs?

I doubt Mark Hall cares a single bit what people think about his age... and is completely focused on whatever it takes to win Olympic medals.
agree, but sure hope we can get 10 weights at the olympics somehow...

ADVERTISEMENT