ADVERTISEMENT

Moorhead

So he went to Alabama where there is no clear path to the OC job--same as PSU?

The money might have had something to do with it.

So from where would he have had a better shot an outside opportunity to become an OC, from Bama given its offensive prowess, or under the tutelage of Ricky the Genius?

Reactions: acg116
No

He is a Co-OC at Bama (probably also a pay bump - maybe significant - relative to his WR Coach salary).

What exactly that means? Who knows.... but he obviously preferred that to remaining a WR coach under Rahne.

One never knows what twists and turns may lie ahead.... but I think it is highly likely that Gattis is on a fast-track in the coaching profession (he is relatively young to have reached the level he is at already - - - - and a stamp from the "Saban" deity can only help)

Gattis makes $600k at Bama. I'd say his bump was significant.

Well...…

For two months, the entire "RPO" scheme became nothing more than a Read-Option.... so, yeah, I guess you could make some analogies.

True, but the point I am making is that those handoffs didn’t seem like Read-Option. Instead, they looked like traditional old handoffs.

If that's what he's making.... I think that's a safe assumption :)

Although I am sure PSU coulda' matched or exceeded that if they had offered him the PSU OC spot.... but that wasn't in the cards.

I wonder how far we are off at compensating coordinators? Didn’t Michigan have 3 coordinators making 7 digits last year.

2017 numbers.
LSU DC makes 1.8 million
Clemson DC makes 1.7
Texas A&M DC makes 1.6
LSU again...OC makes 1.5
Bama and michigan DC make 1.3
Bama OC makes 1.2
Tenn DC Shoop over 1 million
Michigan OC 1.15 million
Michigan passing game coordinator 1.15

There are others over a million. I wonder how close PSU is to paying coordinators like the teams they want to compete with.

Reactions: JJTopp99
That's what I interpreted you to mean...… I was just "tangenting" off of that comment a bit.

FWIW, I don't know exactly which plays you are referring to (if you can identify them, perhaps I could check notes) but I don't recall any significant number of TB runs that were not "RO" based (at least were run that way)..... but I could check.

It just looks like the decision is made quicker, not sure anything has changed and that could all be Miles just knowing he isn’t Barkley and getting himself moving ASAP vs Barkley who would wait to see if something might open up for him to make a big play.

How about that drive where they rode Sanders down the field? Weren’t those mostly just direct handoffs?

You know it's a read option if the end or 5 shade is left unblocked. That is the QBs read on most of our plays and - typically - our read option game we will have the H trap block the end after the read (this is the motion we use for our H scrapes on pass reads)

We still do run a decent amount of RPO but definitely, less than the last couple years which I would assume is a faster exchange.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
That's what I interpreted you to mean...… I was just "tangenting" off of that comment a bit.

FWIW, I don't know exactly which plays you are referring to (if you can identify them, perhaps I could check notes) but I don't recall any significant number of TB runs that were not "RO" based (at least were run that way)..... but I could check.

I honestly haven’t watched the last few weeks as intently as I did the beginning of the year. It just seemed to me that there were more plays where it was just being handed off to Sanders. I could be wrong (again).

I honestly haven’t watched the last few weeks as intently as I did the beginning of the year. It just seemed to me that there were more plays where it was just being handed off to Sanders. I could be wrong (again).
like here...

btw I think you are correct.

well thats a kick in the teeth. second half fwiw

QB1 is reading the right end there, end/played the H so it was a give.
well I disagree there, I think it was straight hand off. But whatever, what we really know is, there was no pass option on that play.

The H is the pass option on that play
he has 3 to his left and the TE to his right. I will say pre snap if he wants #1 on a dump pass/7 yd stop he has him, but once the ball is snapped, it is run all the way. Look at his head!! he looks to his right, the receivers are to his left. The only receiver to his right is 87 and he immediately blocks the LBer. So with his head looking away from the WR's there was no post snap pass available. Unless you think TM has eyes in the back of his head.

he has 3 to his left and the TE to his right. I will say pre snap if he wants #1 on a dump pass/7 yd stop he has him, but once the ball is snapped, it is run all the way. Look at his head!! he looks to his right, the receivers are to his left. The only receiver to his right is 87 and he immediately blocks the LBer. So with his head looking away from the WR's there was no post snap pass available. Unless you think TM has eyes in the back of his head.

You clipped the 4th and 1 play which is what I was talking about.

I wonder how far we are off at compensating coordinators? Didn’t Michigan have 3 coordinators making 7 digits last year.

2017 numbers.
LSU DC makes 1.8 million
Clemson DC makes 1.7
Texas A&M DC makes 1.6
LSU again...OC makes 1.5
Bama and michigan DC make 1.3
Bama OC makes 1.2
Tenn DC Shoop over 1 million
Michigan OC 1.15 million
Michigan passing game coordinator 1.15

There are others over a million. I wonder how close PSU is to paying coordinators like the teams they want to compete with.

Dave Aranda, LSU's DC, now makes $2.5mm. Last year, their OC was Matt Canada. He makes less than half the 2017 figure as Maryland's OC. Their current OC makes $8000k.

If PSU is paying either of its coordinators over a mil, it's overpaying.

If that's what he's making.... I think that's a safe assumption :)

Although I am sure PSU coulda' matched or exceeded that if they had offered him the PSU OC spot.... but that wasn't in the cards.

They could've given him a Co-OC title to justify the pay bump if it was needed. Franklin is adamant about not losing guys to lateral moves and it's pretty evident he's referring to Gattis when he makes that comment. It's clear Franklin did not want to lose him to a lateral move like this, and I'm guessing the $$ wasn't made available. That's the part that's concerning to me.

Nobody has a crystal ball, but I'd be very surprised if Saban goes with a guy like Gattis who has always coached WRs when it comes time to replace Locksley. Saban hires NFL coaches and major P5 HCs for that role. I still think the path to OC at Bama is no different than it would have been at PSU. It's about the $$.

They could've given him a Co-OC title to justify the pay bump if it was needed. Franklin is adamant about not losing guys to lateral moves and it's pretty evident he's referring to Gattis when he makes that comment. It's clear Franklin did not want to lose him to a lateral move like this, and I'm guessing the $$ wasn't made available. That's the part that's concerning to me.

Nobody has a crystal ball, but I'd be very surprised if Saban goes with a guy like Gattis who has always coached WRs when it comes time to replace Locksley. Saban hires NFL coaches and major P5 HCs for that role. I still think the path to OC at Bama is no different than it would have been at PSU. It's about the $$.

I would take a guess Enos would be named the OC if Locksley left, Enos has been an OC at a few places plus was a head coach at Central Michigan

I wouldn’t be shocked if Enos gets HC offers before Locksley (just depends on what a potential employer may prioritize)..... but it could be both, neither, or “one or the other”... who knows?
Either way, I’d expect Gattis to either move up the chain at Bama - or get a nice gig elsewhere - in relatively short order (like within 3-5 years)

Wrt “Paying Asst Coaches”:

One of the few things I don’t like about CJF is that he (IMO) pisses about $$$ too much.
Not a good look - IMO - especially when the guy pissing about it is pulling down - what? - $6 million per?
I understand why he would do it - from the myopic perspective if HFC - I just don’t, personally, think it is indicative of seeing the bigger picture.

I expect there are some fairly “discordant” discussion between CJF and Sandy Baby from time to time.
I don’t know how much CJF cares to look at the ICA balance sheets (or if he would know what to make of them).... but some of that shit has got to come to a head sooner or later (and “later” ain’t that far away :) )

One way or the other, some things are going to have to change within PSU ICA.... things that a lot of “long term” folks (folks who date back to the “Paterno Era”) would have never believed could happen..... IMO

For example???? You have been cryptic in a couple posts about some things coming to head sooner rather then later with Franklin and ICA.

For example???? You have been cryptic in a couple posts about some things coming to head sooner rather then later with Franklin and ICA.
Here's what we do know locksley track record sucks. So he's not getting a HC job anytime soon unless it's a DII school. Enos?? Wouldn't surprise me to see him at a directional Michigan school soon

Enos already did the directional Michigan thing Im thinking he would something a little better like maybe a AAC type of school

I sit in the stands and hear people complain the entire game about playcalling and singing the praises of Joe Moorhead. I find playcalling to be questionable sure but I don’t understand the love fest for Joe Moorhead. Sure he gave us some nice concepts and the offense has done a complete turnabout from the Donovan days but didn’t Trace have a pretty successful bowl game after Hack got hurt pre-Moorhead? Maybe, just maybe the resumes are a little inflated by the generational talent that was on this offensive football team. Barkley, Gesicki, Hamilton, Godwin were amazing offensive talents. Not only did they pad Moorhead and Franklin’s resume, Rahne in the bowl game looked pretty darn good too. I think we have seen some fall off in trace this year too, he surely benefitted from these guys as well.

Look at Moorhead vs Mullen at Miss State. He inherited a solid offense with 8 of 11 returning offensive starters and a third year starting QB. They are averaging almost 10 points a game less in 2018 vs 2017. Miss State has scored in single digits more this year (4) then they have the 3 previous years combined (3).

Too many people and followers bow to these coaches for 2016, 2017 successes but a defense having to worry/plan for the generational talent of Barkley in every facet of the game while also dealing with the incredible receivers on the field...that would make a lot of QBs, offensive lines, coaches and game plans look solid. Remember Moorhead called the plays when PSU blew big late leads to USC in 2016 bowl game, 2017 Ohio state. A 2017 victory against Ohio State would have probably landed them in the CFP.

This isn’t apologetic toward Franklin, Rahne and the offensive coaches this year but they had some players they were really counting on to carry them underperform or outright struggle/slump. I think great players and great performances make any coach and game plan look good, we didn’t get enough of that when it mattered this year, we had just the opposite...mistakes, drops, penalties and missed opportunities.

Who was it that said, "80% of a CFB coach's success (or failure for that matter) is due to those he recruited"? Superb talent can overcome a lot of things, even lousy coaching to some degree.

Reactions: Tri-Power65
But not every running play is an option, right? The plates that seem to be designed handoffs are happening quicker than they were last year. Of course, I do know the intracacies of the offense so I may well be wrong, but I don’t see the dreaded 1.5 second delay in the handoff that I saw last year.

Yeah, that 1.5 seconds seemed more like 1.5 minutes to me when watching it. It was damn stupid IMO.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Finish with beating Rutgers and MD and a bowl win and have a good chance to finish in the Top 10 with another 10 win season for the third straight year. First time that's been done here since 80-82. Then you have ~15 to 18 starters returning for next year.
10 wins would be great but a top 10 finish will be difficult. We're playing a team ranked lower than us so no ground to be made up there. Ironically we would have to root for OSU to beat Washington and for Michigan to beat Florida.

Agree and very likely due to an injured quarterback. Also noticed it much more inside the 5 where just hand the ball to Sanders and let the line do its job. Outside the 5 there was much more RPO where Trace would keep based on the read.

I sit in the stands and hear people complain the entire game about playcalling and singing the praises of Joe Moorhead. I find playcalling to be questionable sure but I don’t understand the love fest for Joe Moorhead. Sure he gave us some nice concepts and the offense has done a complete turnabout from the Donovan days but didn’t Trace have a pretty successful bowl game after Hack got hurt pre-Moorhead? Maybe, just maybe the resumes are a little inflated by the generational talent that was on this offensive football team. Barkley, Gesicki, Hamilton, Godwin were amazing offensive talents. Not only did they pad Moorhead and Franklin’s resume, Rahne in the bowl game looked pretty darn good too. I think we have seen some fall off in trace this year too, he surely benefitted from these guys as well.

Look at Moorhead vs Mullen at Miss State. He inherited a solid offense with 8 of 11 returning offensive starters and a third year starting QB. They are averaging almost 10 points a game less in 2018 vs 2017. Miss State has scored in single digits more this year (4) then they have the 3 previous years combined (3).

Too many people and followers bow to these coaches for 2016, 2017 successes but a defense having to worry/plan for the generational talent of Barkley in every facet of the game while also dealing with the incredible receivers on the field...that would make a lot of QBs, offensive lines, coaches and game plans look solid. Remember Moorhead called the plays when PSU blew big late leads to USC in 2016 bowl game, 2017 Ohio state. A 2017 victory against Ohio State would have probably landed them in the CFP.

This isn’t apologetic toward Franklin, Rahne and the offensive coaches this year but they had some players they were really counting on to carry them underperform or outright struggle/slump. I think great players and great performances make any coach and game plan look good, we didn’t get enough of that when it mattered this year, we had just the opposite...mistakes, drops, penalties and missed opportunities.
I liked Bill O'Brien's offense.

Reactions: BBrown
Though at times I disagree with a playcall, I've always felt execution and the ability to make a play , are more important. Dropped passes and interceptions, missed tackels and blocks, have a lot more to do with losses than schemes, IMO.

10 wins would be great but a top 10 finish will be difficult. We're playing a team ranked lower than us so no ground to be made up there. Ironically we would have to root for OSU to beat Washington and for Michigan to beat Florida.

Regardless of whether or not we root for them, I think both OSU and Mich are going to win their bowl games.

If the B!G has another strong bowl year, the move to 8 teams will be here before you know it. Alvarez and Gee are starting to beat that drum and it could be here in 2-3 years which is great for the sport.

If the B!G has another strong bowl year, the move to 8 teams will be here before you know it. Alvarez and Gee are starting to beat that drum and it could be here in 2-3 years which is great for the sport.

Elwood? Is there anyone more irrelevant? Oh, yeah, Bob Bowlsby.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT