ADVERTISEMENT

Moms wants a RV. Need some advice from RV enthusiasts.

Lion Son/Husband/Father

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2013
“we’re lake people”
My initial thoughts:
24’
diesel
pull a jeep wrangler or such
4wd
generator size (need help here)
living room pull out
needs to sleep 4 adults

We are budgeting $60k and want to buy before thanksgiving. Which class do you suggest? (Sprinters are too small) Which manufacturer? Which powertrain? Anything to avoid at all costs?
We’d be traveling the country fall winter and spring.

Cheers.
The Rick (me)

Last edited:
Looks like you’d be looking at pre-owned as $60k won’t buy much, no less a oil-burner....

Your coach will likely have an onboard genset from the factory, which will be rated for anything you have... So don’t expect to have to be forced to make any generator decisions

As you need to sleep only 4, sounds like you would not be looking at Class-C (which is good, as the overhead bunk is always a long-term liability)... Class A is where you want to be... but 24’ is tiny... 28’ would be the smallest you’d want if you expect a separate bedroom from the living space (believe me -you want that)

4WD?!?!? Why? You will not find that in a typical Class A, C, or even B .... not to mention you won’t need it... rock-hopping a motorhome is not a good idea - unless you‘ve got a rental ;)

all RVs, whether you’re looking at standard brands like Jayco/Coachmen, or all the way up to Airstream, use the same systems (Atwood hot water tanks, Suburban furnaces, Dometic or Norcold fridges, Dometic or Coleman A/C, Thetford toilets, Onan gensets) and none are really screwed (stapled) together with anything resembling decent craftsmanship - so don’t get your expectations too high... sexiness of the premium models is gonna be skin deep / lipstick... as those leather couches etc are more than likely bonded leather and will look like crap in a few seasons of normal use... likewise even upgraded cabinetry isn’t really well made...

i’ve owned a couple rv’s (motorhomes) over the past dozen years - gotten my hands dirty working on mine / upgrading / troubleshooting ...

will be happy to answer any questions

Last edited:
My two Brothers in Law are both Master Motor Home Techs. Both agreed to go Winnebago with a diesel engine. That 60K will get you a used one with lots of miles on it, but structurally they are they best. I've been looking myself at purchasing a 24' C Class. Good luck

4WD?!?!? Why? You will not find that in a typical Class A, C, or even B
sportsmobile-classic-4x4.jpg

Reactions: Sharkies
98% it will be just moms cubs and me.
Looks like you’d be looking at pre-owned as $60k won’t buy much, no less a oil-burner....

Your coach will likely have an onboard genset from the factory, which will be rated for anything you have... So don’t expect to have to be forced to make any generator decisions

As you need to sleep only 4, sounds like you would not be looking at Class-C (which is good, as the overhead bunk is always a long-term liability)... Class A is where you want to be... but 24’ is tiny... 28’ would be the smallest you’d want if you expect a separate bedroom from the living space (believe me -you want that)

4WD?!?!? Why? You will not find that in a typical Class A, C, or even B .... not to mention you won’t need it... rock-hopping a motorhome is not a good idea - unless you‘ve got a rental ;)

all RVs, whether you’re looking at standard brands like Jayco/Coachmen, or all the way up to Airstream, use the same systems (Atwood hot water tanks, Suburban furnaces, Dometic or Norcold fridges, Dometic or Coleman A/C, Thetford toilets, Onan gensets) and none are really screwed (stapled) together with anything resembling decent craftsmanship - so don’t get your expectations too high... sexiness of the premium models is gonna be skin deep / lipstick... as those leather couches etc are more than likely bonded leather and will look like crap in a few seasons of normal use... likewise even upgraded cabinetry isn’t really well made...

i’ve owned a couple rv’s (motorhomes) over the past dozen years - gotten my hands dirty working on mine / upgrading / troubleshooting ...

will be happy to answer any questions

excellent! TY.

Last edited:
Good Luck. Covid has made RV purchasing a sellers market. Before Covid the country was one million campsites short of the number of units sold in the previous five years. Most campgrounds if they are open now are running near capacity, booking is tough; very early reservations are a necessity.

I have always looked at a three or four year old model with about twenty five thousand miles on it. best value and most anomalies have been worked out by previous owner. Remember, tires on RV's should be replaced every six years, regardless of miles traveled.

I just bought a two year old motorhome with eight thousand miles before the shut downs started, I was kicking myself in the ass for doing so because of the hit the job market was taking. Thought I f'ed up. The motorhome I traded; sold for twice what I got for it, it had a hundred thousand miles on it was fifteen years old and in fairly good shape. A lot of local rv sales lot are empty right now and RVs are commanding unbelievable prices.
As I said good luck, My March purchase I could probably make a hearty profit on. Good luck again.

Reactions: step.eng69
4wd for boat ramps and snowboarding.

You won’t need (or find) 4wd .... any Class C or Class A will have a full truck frame with a full-floating rear & duallies... would have ZERO problem on a boat-ramp...

if you expect to 4 season - you’ll need a RV with a cold-weather package (heated / fully weatherized freshwater / grey / blackwater tanks) ... that’s a very specific package that will be difficult (but not impossible) to find on the used market ... even moreso now with RV sales being crazy and low inventory....

RV’s are heavy duty trucks... weigh in at 12,000+ lbs ... and with duallies & RWD you’d have little difficulty in snow... the problem will be finding a campground to host you in the offseason

My initial thoughts:
24’
diesel
4wd
living room pull out
needs to sleep 4 adults

We are budgeting $60k and want to buy before thanksgiving. Which class do you suggest? (Sprinters are too small) Which manufacturer? Which powertrain? Anything to avoid at all costs?

Cheers.
The Rick (me)

You didn't mention the most important part, the bed. Get a waterbed, it is completely impracticable and potentially dangerous, but guaranteed it will be all the little lady talks about.

Also, get something that comes with a big manual. They are great for cruising through the European countryside.

4781297995b6b22d0bce49b17cd5c99b.jpg

Good Luck. Covid has made RV purchasing a sellers market. Before Covid the country was one million campsites short of the number of units sold in the previous five years. Most campgrounds if they are open now are running near capacity, booking is tough; very early reservations are a necessity.

I have always looked at a three or four year old model with about twenty five thousand miles on it. best value and most anomalies have been worked out by previous owner. Remember, tires on RV's should be replaced every six years, regardless of miles traveled.

I just bought a two year old motorhome with eight thousand miles before the shut downs started, I was kicking myself in the ass for doing so because of the hit the job market was taking. Thought I f'ed up. The motorhome I traded; sold for twice what I got for it, it had a hundred thousand miles on it was fifteen years old and in fairly good shape. A lot of local rv sales lot are empty right now and RVs are commanding unbelievable prices.
As I said good luck, My March purchase I could probably make a hearty profit on. Good luck again.

this is 100 % accurate

You won’t need (or find) 4wd .... any Class C or Class A will have a full truck frame with a full-floating rear & duallies... would have ZERO problem on a boat-ramp...

if you expect to 4 season - you’ll need a RV with a cold-weather package (heated / fully weatherized freshwater / grey / blackwater tanks) ... that’s a very specific package that will be difficult (but not impossible) to find on the used market ... even moreso now with RV sales being crazy and low inventory....

RV’s are heavy duty trucks... weigh in at 12,000+ lbs ... and with duallies & RWD you’d have little difficulty in snow... the problem will be finding a campground to host you in the offseason
Did a little research, that will be a solid no on winter mountain excursions. See, that’s why we chat:)
As for the boat ramp, I’m super active on two boating forums. Seen and read lots of on-ramp nonsence.

If you have a boat, You don't need an RV.
If you have an RV, You don't need boat.
What you need is a winning powerball ticket.

What I find amusing is that he bought a boat, so she wants to one up him with an RV. What qualifies as the triple dog dare you toy, a plane, helicopter, etc?

Did a little research, that will be a solid no on winter mountain excursions. See, that’s why we chat:)
As for the boat ramp, I’m super active on two boating forums. Seen and read lots of on-ramp nonsence.

having done a few PSU overnight tailgates in October and early November, can’t blame you for re-thinking / backing off on the concept of cold-weather camping... we‘ve been through a few 30-degree overnights, and a ducted furnace makes for a comfy cozy night... but not sure I’d sign up for more than a football weekend, or breaking down camp in snow for that matter...

that being said - ducted AC is a must-have ... a shorter unit would be less-likely to have ducted A/c or ducted heat... though if you are dead set on diesel power, you’re likely gonna end up with a higher-end coach that will bring you such amenities, as diesels are often packaged up-market .... you’ll be hard pressed to find a strippo diesel coach

having done a few PSU overnight tailgates in October and early November, can’t blame you for re-thinking / backing off on the concept of cold-weather camping... we‘ve been through a few 30-degree overnights, and a ducted furnace makes for a comfy cozy night... but not sure I’d sign up for more than a football weekend, or breaking down camp in snow for that matter...

that being said - ducted AC is a must-have ... a shorter unit would be less-likely to have ducted A/c or ducted heat... though if you are dead set on diesel power, you’re likely gonna end up with a higher-end coach that will bring you such amenities, as diesels are often packaged up-market .... you’ll be hard pressed to find a strippo diesel coach
I’m finding zero diesels but lots of Thors with Ford v10s In my price range.

My initial thoughts:
24’
diesel
4wd
living room pull out
needs to sleep 4 adults

Cheers.
The Rick (me)

Do not get mom a water-bed to put in that RV son!

Just my thoughts.

o_O

I’ve been coming up to speed on the RV market also. Know what you want out of it. A must for me would be an outside kitchen and for the wife it’s bunk beds (That convert to a closet) to take the grandkids places. The more slide outs the better so you have more room if you’re stuck inside on bad weather days. Also a satellite TV set up. Lots of storage underneath because you don't want to move things inside all the time to get to something. I’m looking at class C about 36’ gas instead of diesel so the engine is up front incase anything hits it and I’m more familiar with fixing gas engines.
If you haven’t spent time in one I would recommend renting one for a week or so to make sure it’s the life for you.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT