ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile parking passes were a disaster

The ticket guy

May 2, 2020
How many other fans sat in a never ending slow moving line on College ave trying to get into the parking lots. Hopefully this experiment with mobile parking passes is a thing of the past now that the BW game is in the books. Getting fans into the parking area quickly should be a priority . One can just imagine what a regular season game would look like if they use this technology instead of the old standby hard copy passes that hang from your mirror .

How many other fans sat in a never ending slow moving line on College ave trying to get into the parking lots. Hopefully this experiment with mobile parking passes is a thing of the past now that the BW game is in the books. Getting fans into the parking area quickly should be a priority . One can just imagine what a regular season game would look like if they use this technology instead of the old standby hard copy passes that hang from your mirror .
It seems they are making things worse not better for some time now,

I did like being able to make my own decision on how to come into the stadium and how to leave but the lines were silly.

I know people will say it’s a money grab but I think a way to help traffic is to have an ability pay to park early fee. So let’s say if you buy a platinum pass you can enter say 8:00 and gold 9:00 and a general say 10:00 for a 3:30 game.
Stagger the arrivals.
Just my two cents

Am I mistaken, or did the parking attendants simply look at your electronic pass and not actually scan it? I was only half paying attention since my wife was driving, but I don't think they actually scanned anything on ours. Maybe they gave up at some point.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
I did like being able to make my own decision on how to come into the stadium and how to leave but the lines were silly.

I know people will say it’s a money grab but I think a way to help traffic is to have an ability pay to park early fee. So let’s say if you buy a platinum pass you can enter say 8:00 and gold 9:00 and a general say 10:00 for a 3:30 game.
Stagger the arrivals.
Just my two cents

It'd be a nightmare to enforce and then people who paid extra and couldn't get to the lots because of traffic would post mean threads on here.

Throwing in my .02 here: I cannot comment specifically on the mobile passes, but PSU sure messed something else up Saturday morning. The apparel sale at Pegula was scheduled to open at 8. The lots for the game were scheduled to open at 9. Our party tried to park at Pegula at 7:20. There was already a line. However, there was a $20 charge to park at Pegula. I find it mind blowing to think someone would pay $20 to pay to shop for apparel. I tried to use my mobile ticket, thinking that I wasn't going to use it for the game. Woman at Pegula parking gate said no dice.

I swear, expecting them to be competent is becoming a waste of time. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting something different. PSU parking poo-bahs could screw up a one car funeral. And, FWIW, traffic was messed up all over town, especially Atherton and Fox Hollow.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Throwing in my .02 here: I cannot comment specifically on the mobile passes, but PSU sure messed something else up Saturday morning. The apparel sale at Pegula was scheduled to open at 8. The lots for the game were scheduled to open at 9. Our party tried to park at Pegula at 7:20. There was already a line. However, there was a $20 charge to park at Pegula. I find it mind blowing to think someone would pay $20 to pay to shop for apparel. I tried to use my mobile ticket, thinking that I wasn't going to use it for the game. Woman at Pegula parking gate said no dice.

I swear, expecting them to be competent is becoming a waste of time. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting something different. PSU parking poo-bahs could screw up a one car funeral. And, FWIW, traffic was messed up all over town, especially Atherton and Fox Hollow.

The traffic and parking issue is an infrastructure problem far above the athletic departments, or even the universities purview. It's one of the largest stadiums in the world and its more or less in the middle of f'ing nowhere. Fixing it requires overhauling the state college and university park road system and/or constructing high speed rail from philly and pittsburgh that drops people off walking distance to the stadium. Tattooing your parking pass to your forehead wouldn't solve it.

It's funny how parking seemed to work until the last few years.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
In 2002 for the Nebraska game we got parked nice and early and had no issues . The place was packed and traffics flowed better.
Penn State screwed it up because it's like like there's 20 k more people trying to get to the game than back then.

It's funny how parking seemed to work until the last few years.
So I'm trying to get in the wayback time machine and find articles on what specific changes were made and when they happened, but besides separating the lots into 4 quadrants, and redirecting I think it was lots 14/18 down Park to Atherton, I'm not having much luck.

If you or anyone can share what specifically changed to make things worse I'd be interested to hear. And don't just blame the admin as we already know they suck - I'm trying to figure out what changes they made for it to suck so bad.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I'm going to go out on a limb and make some assumptions. The problem Saturday was that they did not follow normal "game day" parking procedures. Had they done that, there would not have been a problem. I'll assume they didn't do that for a couple reasons. One, because they miscalculated the attendance impact and thought they didn't need to. Or two, because they couldn't get enough people to staff for parking attendants, which is an unfortunate reality. Afterall, there were probably about half the cars vs normal game day.

For normal "game day" events, I think they need to look first at how to get local residents to/from their homes before and after games using as few roads as possible and keep those roads open to local traffic. Then, make every effort to close everything else to get gameday traffic in and out. If they planned it out well, I'm sure they could do it.

I see two MAJOR bottlenecks (I'm sure there are more, I know). Park Ave before and after the game and each parking lot after the game. They need more entrances and exits to lots both before and after. That gets people in and out of the lots faster and off Park more quickly.

They should also think about limited use exit ramps (is that possible?) between 99 and Fox Hollow. It's .8 miles from the corner of Park and Fox Hollow at the NE corner of the stadium to the I99 underpass. Empty the lots more quickly right to I99.

So I'm trying to get in the wayback time machine and find articles on what specific changes were made and when they happened, but besides separating the lots into 4 quadrants, and redirecting I think it was lots 14/18 down Park to Atherton, I'm not having much luck.

If you or anyone can share what specifically changed to make things worse I'd be interested to hear. And don't just blame the admin as we already know they suck - I'm trying to figure out what changes they made for it to suck so bad.
My god it's so long ago now. The four quadrants started this debacle but honestly I do not attend games anymore . I think that was the beginning of the end for me.

ADVERTISEMENT