ADVERTISEMENT

Mister Rogers House is for sale in Pittsburgh

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
won't you be, his neighbor?

94950accdecb49fb8f64bbc53ce4480b_md.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Potter
Borders Schenley Park. That'd be a great home for someone that works at one of the universities or Oakland hospitals.

Borders Schenley Park. That'd be a great home for someone that works at one of the universities or Oakland hospitals.

Across Forbes Avenue from the golf course. Easy walk to CMU. ASWP and the hospitals are further, but a short bus ride at worst.

BTW, too late for anyone interested. House is under contract.

There actually was a trolley that ran on Forbes Avenue near that house, into Oakland, and into Downtown. Couldn't find a proximate photo, but here is one about a mile east:

1354279652da29f185e701e13511e55a.jpg

So The Land Of Make Believe is where pitt football draws large crowds and matters. On second thought, I’ll pass.

Reactions: bison13
Across Forbes Avenue from the golf course. Easy walk to CMU. ASWP and the hospitals are further, but a short bus ride at worst.

That's Pittsburgh. Within the city limits there aren't many houses that are built on lots with a lot of open space. In that neighborhood, pre-WWII brick exteriors were almost always two, sometimes three, layers thick.

Also very easy walking distance to the WESA studios, which is probably why Rogers lived there in the first place.

The article also says that the Rogers family only lived there for about a decade in the 60s-70s. They also lived in the former apartment building right on Schenley Park that's now a CMU dorm building. I'm pretty sure the house where they spent the last few decades of Rogers' life is about a mile east in Squirrel Hill/Point Breeze, on Beechwood Boulevard very close to Frick Park and the Tree of Life Synagogue. Not sure if that place is still in the family.

But to say that houses in that part of the city go quickly is an understatement. Mostly college professors, lawyers and physicians, with some old money types sprinkled throughout.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Also very easy walking distance to the WESA studios, which is probably why Rogers lived there in the first place.

The article also says that the Rogers family only lived there for about a decade in the 60s-70s. They also lived in the former apartment building right on Schenley Park that's now a CMU dorm building. I'm pretty sure the house where they spent the last few decades of Rogers' life is about a mile east in Squirrel Hill/Point Breeze, on Beechwood Boulevard very close to Frick Park and the Tree of Life Synagogue. Not sure if that place is still in the family.

But to say that houses in that part of the city go quickly is an understatement. Mostly college professors, lawyers and physicians, with some old money types sprinkled throughout.

Think you mean the WQED sudios. QED was the TV station and the studios were (they may have moved since I last saw them on Fifth Avenue not far from Central Catholic. WESA is the radio station that used to be WDUQ, run by Duquesne U. Don't know where those studios were then, but I believe they are now on the South Side.

Not familiar with Mr. Rogers later house, but the one listed on Northumberland isn't far from Tree of Life, albeit in the other direction from Beechwood Blvd.

Think you mean the WQED sudios. QED was the TV station and the studios were (they may have moved since I last saw them on Fifth Avenue not far from Central Catholic. WESA is the radio station that used to be WDUQ, run by Duquesne U. Don't know where those studios were then, but I believe they are now on the South Side.

Not familiar with Mr. Rogers later house, but the one listed on Northumberland isn't far from Tree of Life, albeit in the other direction from Beechwood Blvd.
Correct, WQED is still in the same studios on Forbes, also the home of WQED-FM.

WESA (the local NPR affiliate) is co-located with sister station WYEP in Bedford Square on the South Side.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

WESA (the local NPR affiliate) is co-located with sister station WYEP in Bedford Square on the South Side.

Are you sure QED isn't on Fifth, east of Craig Street going toward Shadyside? Or maybe it moved since I recall.

You're right - and the TV studio is indeed still right next to Central Catholic. I believe when Rogers first started the show, it was in a smaller building right across from the cathedral of learning.

Another curious tidbit: it appears as though the Rogers house on Northumberland was, at one point, owned by now-former Steelers OC Randy Fichtner. https://www2.alleghenycounty.us/Rea...earchMuni=&SearchParcel=&pin=0053H00181000000

Edit: also, the home I was thinking of was at 1300 Beechwood. Looks like Rogers sold it to the CEO of Federated Investments in the mid-80s. Not sure where they lived after that. I know they maintained a home on the New England coast.

Last edited:
Does it come with the trolley to the Neighborhood Of Make Believe? If so, I’m in.
I don’t know- that trolley takes you to Narduzzi’s neighborhood with the 12 remaining Pitt fans and their pretend national championship trophies from when Fort Pitt was still operational. ;)

You're right - and the TV studio is indeed still right next to Central Catholic. I believe when Rogers first started the show, it was in a smaller building right across from the cathedral of learning.

Another curious tidbit: it appears as though the Rogers house on Northumberland was, at one point, owned by now-former Steelers OC Randy Fichtner. https://www2.alleghenycounty.us/Rea...earchMuni=&SearchParcel=&pin=0053H00181000000

Interesting.

Was that older QED studio in that two (I think) story stone building (which may have been a house originally) on the northwest corner of Fifth and Bellefield which ASWP took over for studios for its Music Dept?

Interesting.

Was that older QED studio in that two (I think) story stone building (which may have been a house originally) on the northwest corner of Fifth and Bellefield which ASWP took over for studios for its Music Dept?
That's the building. I think there might even be a PA state historical marker outside of it. It was a former residence, similar to the ones that still exist in Schenley Farms a block or two back from Fifth Avenue, as most of the lots closer to Fifth have been repurposed over the years. Pitt was gifted the building in the mid-50s, used it as the QED studio until they outgrew it, and then repurposed it into the music department, combined with the nearby Hebrew Athletic Association building on Bellefield.

Reading some things, it looks like Pitt recently contemplated demolishing/repurposing the music building space in a draft version of its master plan, but it looks like they revised it to keep the building after the various historic preservation folks in the city pushed back on it.

That's the building. I think there might even be a PA state historical marker outside of it. It was a former residence, similar to the ones that still exist in Schenley Farms a block or two back from Fifth Avenue, as most of the lots closer to Fifth have been repurposed over the years. Pitt was gifted the building in the mid-50s, used it as the QED studio until they outgrew it, and then repurposed it into the music department, combined with the nearby Hebrew Athletic Association building on Bellefield.

So Pitt took over the old YM&WHA Building? For some reason I though the Pittsburgh BoEd did. Guess I've been away too long.

So Pitt took over the old YM&WHA Building? For some reason I though the Pittsburgh BoEd did. Guess I've been away too long.
Board of Education building is right next door, on the corner of Forbes and Bellefield. The Hebrew Association building (now called Bellefield Hall) is the one that's sandwiched between the now Board of Ed building and Mellon Institute, which is still operated by CMU.

I don’t know- that trolley takes you to Narduzzi’s neighborhood with the 12 remaining Pitt fans and their pretend national championship trophies from when Fort Pitt was still operational. ;)

Was Fort pitt part of wanny’s wall?

Reactions: psu00
How is the mail service?

Mr. McFeely shut up and give me my letter
I don't want to talk to you don't you understand?
Why are you inside my house? You're just my [ ] mailman

Board of Education building is right next door, on the corner of Forbes and Bellefield. The Hebrew Association building (now called Bellefield Hall) is the one that's sandwiched between the now Board of Ed building and Mellon Institute, which is still operated by CMU.

Gotcha.

I'm sure the fact that it's always a beautiful day in that neighborhood explains the high price tag.

Reactions: royboy
Some people don't like to live in the middle of nowhere.
You apparently do. Good for you.

I don't live in the middle of nowhere. But I have a house that's slightly smaller, much newer, much more land and much lower property taxes that 2 year ago I paid a lot less than that for.

It’s in the same place but on Fifth Ave, not Forbes.

EDIT - Sorry. I replied before reading the whole thread. Don’t mean to pile on!

Reactions: yeahtoasty
ADVERTISEMENT