ADVERTISEMENT

Football Mind of Mike: Random thoughts as we head into rivalry weekend

Except MSU should not be last game in our season. No B1G team should be in my opinion. However, it is what it is.

my thoughts on "rivalry week" is that this was a concoction of foolishness to keep the tOSU Michigan game as the last game of the season. This has resulted in:
  • A completely unbalanced West and East for over two decades
  • hands Wisconsin a contender for B1G championship game every single year
  • Ends up with PSU now playing 11 of 12 B1G openers on the road
  • Makes the middle of PSU's schedule BRUTAL by having to play Michigan, Michigan State and tOSU within four weeks

And this season, PSU will have played the two best teams in the west (Wicy and Iowa) plus the three best teams in the east not named Penn State (tOSU, Michigan and Michigan State) while having a very tough SEC opponent in Auburn in week two (who has only recently fallen on hard times after losing their QB).

my thoughts on "rivalry week" is that this was a concoction of foolishness to keep the tOSU Michigan game as the last game of the season. This has resulted in:
  • A completely unbalanced West and East for over two decades
  • hands Wisconsin a contender for B1G championship game every single year
  • Ends up with PSU now playing 11 of 12 B1G openers on the road
  • Makes the middle of PSU's schedule BRUTAL by having to play Michigan, Michigan State and tOSU within four weeks

And this season, PSU will have played the two best teams in the west (Wicy and Iowa) plus the three best teams in the east not named Penn State (tOSU, Michigan and Michigan State) while having a very tough SEC opponent in Auburn in week two (who has only recently fallen on hard times after losing their QB).
This. Sadly, expansion is the only way out of this situation.

How about no divisions. Yearly schedules can be picked out of a hat. Keep the Mich/OSU game last and if there are other true rivals then they will play each other every year. Mich St is not a rival of ours. We shouldn't have to play them every year. Top two teams of the conference get to play for the conference championship.
Boom! How difficult was that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT