ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Tomlin Is the worst coach EVER!!!

What amazes me is that Vick has been in the NFL for so long and he still doesn't have fundamentals. As Phil Simms said, the crappy throw on 4th down was a result of not having his feet set right and even a non-expert like me could see it. Simms said something like, any NFL QB should be able to make that throw and he's right.

4th and 1 with the best RB in football and you let Vick throw.

I don't get how he gets treated as some great coach. I think he's average at best and often bad- making dumb mistakes. Their drafting has been bad as well.

Reactions: 81b&w
I don't get how he gets treated as some great coach. I think he's average at best and often bad- making dumb mistakes. Their drafting has been bad as well.
I think he's horrible and wish my Steelers would move on from him.

Yea he had some real "head scratchers" last night.
I understand that he's limited, especially with Vick but c'mon. If you know you are going to go for it on fourth down then at least have the play call leading up to 4th down make some freak'n sense. The other guys are good too you are not always going to get them out of position or you shouldn't be counting on it.
And they can start looking for another kicker now. Scobee sucks and he's only going to get worse as the weather gets worse.

Field goal kicker lost the game, plain and simple 2 chances to secure the victory and missed both kicks.

Why is the Steelers Pro Bowl kicker in the game in the 5th qtr of the HALL OF FAME GAME!!!...You let Vick throw on 4th down!!! Run the ball and don't get it at least you force the Ravens to burn a time-out....you blitz Flacco like crazy on the last 2 drives and put the game on your weakest part of the defense..the secondary....Tomlin is an idiot...

Reactions: BBrown
You mean like JoePa wished he'd done vs Bama in 1978??

Joe made some bad decisions over the years, but Tomlin makes a few every week. I am so over him and think the Steelers will not make a run until they get someone else in there. To bad the Rooney's will take their rep over the success of the team and won't fire him and be called hypocrites.

Reactions: m48tank and 81b&w
Joe made some bad decisions over the years, but Tomlin makes a few every week. I am so over him and think the Steelers will not make a run until they get someone else in there. To bad the Rooney's will take their rep over the success of the team and won't fire him and be called hypocrites.

Um, my point was that Joe wanted to throw on 4th an goal, but let himself be overruled. It's not always a bad call (unless you are Woody Hayes who always noted that 2/3 things that happen when you throw a pass are bad).

That does not, of course, mean that Tomlin is a good coach. But I will say the the Iggles have had worse through the years.

Um, my point was that Joe wanted to throw on 4th an goal, but let himself be overruled. It's not always a bad call (unless you are Woody Hayes who always noted that 2/3 things that happen when you throw a pass are bad).

That does not, of course, mean that Tomlin is a good coach. But I will say the the Iggles have had worse through the years.

Its a bad call when you have a 35 year old QB who couldn't hit a pass all night and have the best back in football in the backfield.

I am 100% sure Bell gets that first down if he gets the ball.

I forget which series in overtime (I think that it was the next to last) when Pittsburgh has 3rd down and 2 yards to go - Dibbs says that they are in 4 down territory thinking that if they run LeVeon Bell he gets the first down (especially with 2 chances).

Wouldn't you know it, I think they throw an incomplete pass and then they run that quarterback bootleg. Now the qb bootleg play doesn't bother me except for the formation that they ran out of. 4th and 2 and you line up with wideouts all over the field and nobody in the backfield?

Now the Tomlin apologists (and I say Tomlin because he's the boss) will say that the formation screams for a quick WR screen and the guy has blockers. If that's truly the case, throw the WR screen. If not, why would you run the bootleg to the side where the receivers are bunched because that's where the defenders have overloaded?

I say that when you line up in a specific formation that you provide too many keys for the defenders. Not having Bell lined up in the backfield for that play was stooped.

I think that Scobee didn't attempt a field goal in OT because he had already been waived ... nobody told him to turn in his playbook yet.

Tomlin is an entertaining interview and seems to have a high IQ (maybe not a high football one), especially for a football coach. I question how much control or knowledge he has.

Under him, the Steelers have been well below average in their ability to adjust during the game, season, and longer. His 'deer in the headlights' facial expression are priceless, and not a flattering image for an organization who had Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher. On the contrary, Cowher is a painful and obvious analyst, but on the field he was going to be in the middle of getting things done or quickly changing things if they weren't going well.

How the secondary eroded to this point with the increased priority of the passing game is quite the mystery. I think Troy P. before he lost it (along with the Troy's partner safety) covered up player development flaws in this area.

Vick 'sets' his feet in preparation to running not passing.

The Steelers under Tomlin are an average NFL franchise. The number of games they have gift wrapped for the opponent under Tomlin are ridiculous. Last year it the difference b/w being a top seed and having to play in the Wild Card but in years past it's been about missing the playoffs altogether. Just imagine where they'd be w/out Roethlisberger most of the time.

Yes, they've made many questionable personnel decisions under Colbert that have not helped, but from a coaching standpoint, the gaffes are numerous and the overall lack of development is a joke compared to Cowher and Noll.

If Chuck Noll is the HQ last night.......Steeler's win. I remember getting into arguments with my buddies when Noll made decisions by the book, what I used to call "good fundamental coaching". Many of today's coaches know the right, fundamental calls, but are always trying to be cute or try to outsmart their opponent. Noll and JoePa knew, that the fundamentally right call every time, would win you more games than not. Look at last night's game. It basically boiled down to which coach would stick to the fundamentals and make the right call. They both were making the wrong calls during the game. Harbaugh with the fake field goal and passes against a blitz and Tomlin with his dumb fourth down calls. Yikes, is there any coach out there who sticks to the fundamentals?

The Steelers under Tomlin are an average NFL franchise. The number of games they have gift wrapped for the opponent under Tomlin are ridiculous. Last year it the difference b/w being a top seed and having to play in the Wild Card but in years past it's been about missing the playoffs altogether. Just imagine where they'd be w/out Roethlisberger most of the time.

Yes, they've made many questionable personnel decisions under Colbert that have not helped, but from a coaching standpoint, the gaffes are numerous and the overall lack of development is a joke compared to Cowher and Noll.

+1. About the only thing the Steelers have done well at is drafting WR's in the lower rounds.
I like a few of their LB'rs, especially Shazier, but he can't stay healthy. Timmons is ok but I expected more.
Their Dbacks have been abysmal for 7 years or more.
It took getting Mike Munchak before the O-line was at least average.
Without Ben R. Tomlin would have zero superbowls and probably a losing record.

Reactions: bison13
If Chuck Noll is the HQ last night.......Steeler's win. I remember getting into arguments with my buddies when Noll made decisions by the book, what I used to call "good fundamental coaching". Many of today's coaches know the right, fundamental calls, but are always trying to be cute or try to outsmart their opponent. Noll and JoePa knew, that the fundamentally right call every time, would win you more games than not. Look at last night's game. It basically boiled down to which coach would stick to the fundamentals and make the right call. They both were making the wrong calls during the game. Harbaugh with the fake field goal and passes against a blitz and Tomlin with his dumb fourth down calls. Yikes, is there any coach out there who sticks to the fundamentals?

Both Harbaugh and Tomlin were grasping at straws to get anything to work. Harbaugh finally did but it took Scobee missing 1 iffy FG and 1 very make able one for him to get the win. Lets just say the Ravens one despite Harbaugh's coaching and the Steelers lost because of Tomlin's coaching. I understand going for it on those 4th downs, especially with a kicker who's lost, but the 3rd down and 4th down calls were abysmal at best. My only question did Tomlin call those plays or was it the OC?

Tomlin is an entertaining interview and seems to have a high IQ (maybe not a high football one), especially for a football coach. I question how much control or knowledge he has.

Under him, the Steelers have been well below average in their ability to adjust during the game, season, and longer. His 'deer in the headlights' facial expression are priceless, and not a flattering image for an organization who had Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher. On the contrary, Cowher is a painful and obvious analyst, but on the field he was going to be in the middle of getting things done or quickly changing things if they weren't going well.

How the secondary eroded to this point with the increased priority of the passing game is quite the mystery. I think Troy P. before he lost it (along with the Troy's partner safety) covered up player development flaws in this area.

Vick 'sets' his feet in preparation to running not passing.

Tomlin IQ can't be very high, he tries to use huge words, but isn't very smart.

Listen to Snoop Dogg's comments about Scobee. Funny stuff.....

Still waiting on his rant about his boy Tomlin,,

Both Harbaugh and Tomlin were grasping at straws to get anything to work. Harbaugh finally did but it took Scobee missing 1 iffy FG and 1 very make able one for him to get the win. Lets just say the Ravens one despite Harbaugh's coaching and the Steelers lost because of Tomlin's coaching. I understand going for it on those 4th downs, especially with a kicker who's lost, but the 3rd down and 4th down calls were abysmal at best. My only question did Tomlin call those plays or was it the OC?

Harbaugh is a Special Team's coach
Tomlin is a secondary coach

Let's examine this further. Harbaugh's ST may be best in the NFL. He has a good FG kicker who has confidence and you can put the game on his shoulders and he will succeed. He also has one of the best punters in the league.

Tomlin's ST are horrible. He has 5'1 Dri Archer returning kicks who gets knocked down by a breeze, he has a kicker now he has lost all confidence and a punter he can't punt more then 35-40 yards.

Big advantage Harbaugh

Tomlin's secondary is weak. As a secondary coach he has failed to realize this and continues to use guys that are over matched against physical receivers. His guys play a 10 yard cushion and aren't fast or good enough to give that kind of free yardage.

Harbaugh's secondary has a rising star in Jimmy Smith, he makes plays all over the field. Their cover guys are physical and play bump and run pretty well.

Advantage Harbaugh

Harbaugh is a Special Team's coach
Tomlin is a secondary coach

Let's examine this further. Harbaugh's ST may be best in the NFL. He has a good FG kicker who has confidence and you can put the game on his shoulders and he will succeed. He also has one of the best punters in the league.

Tomlin's ST are horrible. He has 5'1 Dri Archer returning kicks who gets knocked down by a breeze, he has a kicker now he has lost all confidence and a punter he can't punt more then 35-40 yards.

Big advantage Harbaugh

Tomlin's secondary is weak. As a secondary coach he has failed to realize this and continues to use guys that are over matched against physical receivers. His guys play a 10 yard cushion and aren't fast or good enough to give that kind of free yardage.

Harbaugh's secondary has a rising star in Jimmy Smith, he makes plays all over the field. Their cover guys are physical and play bump and run pretty well.

I'm willing to give Archer more time returning kicks he's looked much better this year than last.
I haven't seen all the Steeler games but last night but their punter looked pretty pedestrian to me.
As for Scobee? The call would be going out today for open auditions for kickers. Heck I might even look for a decent backup QB cause Vick's not it. I didn't like the pickup when they signed him, not so much for his "baggage" although there was that but I just didn't think he was a very good QB. He never could pass with any accuracy and his one asset was his speed and now his speed is gone.
I know Ben R. was missing but there was no excuse for losing that game last night...none.

I thought the play calling was way too conservative late in the game, too many runs up the middle with no success. Haley is the play caller, although when Ben was there, he called most of the plays through audibles. It seemed they were hoping the defense would win the game rather than go for more points. Now, when they went for it on 4th down, instead of kicking, that was on Tomlin. That last possession in regulation, all they needed to win the game was 1 more 1st down and they kept running inside for minimal yardage. I thought Vick played ok and they limited his offense too much.

I agree that the call was bad and Tomlin's game calling skills are not one of his strengths. However, calling a good game is not the only measure of a good coach. Ability to lead, ability to coach technique, ability to motivate and get the most out of players, ability to game plan, ability to hire and retain good assistants etc. are all parts of analyzing the quality of a coach. Certainly, Tomlin's game calling ability will never approach that of Belichek and his ability to analyze talent will never be compared to Chuck Noll. However, the Steelers have been able to maintain a relatively high level of success while he has been coaching the Steelers so he is certainly not the "worst coach ever."

If Bell doesn't get hurt last year, I think the Steelers had a good chance of going to the Super Bowl. Further, if Ben returns performing at the same level that he has been performing, and they Steelers are still in the thick of things when he returns, the Steelers will be Super Bowl contenders again this year.

I agree that the call was bad and Tomlin's game calling skills are not one of his strengths. However, calling a good game is not the only measure of a good coach. Ability to lead, ability to coach technique, ability to motivate and get the most out of players, ability to game plan, ability to hire and retain good assistants etc. are all parts of analyzing the quality of a coach. Certainly, Tomlin's game calling ability will never approach that of Belichek and his ability to analyze talent will never be compared to Chuck Noll. However, the Steelers have been able to maintain a relatively high level of success while he has been coaching the Steelers so he is certainly not the "worst coach ever."

If Bell doesn't get hurt last year, I think the Steelers had a good chance of going to the Super Bowl. Further, if Ben returns performing at the same level that he has been performing, and they Steelers are still in the thick of things when he returns, the Steelers will be Super Bowl contenders again this year.

They can be a "spoiler" team but I don't think they are a Super Bowl contender I just don't see it.
Even if Ben can come back at full strength the Defense is still a liability, especially in the secondary. And we are going to need a kicker that is consistent and I mean consistently making his FG's and EP. Weather hasn't even become a factor yet and Scobee is already iffy at best.
They are just no good enough in all phases of the game to be a Super Bowl contender and that includes coaching.
The offense, with Ben, is as good if not better than anyone else in the league the defense on the other hand is equally as bad.
They play the Bengals on Nov. 1st hopefully Ben is back by then to give them a chance.
There next opponents are at Chargers (should be able to win even with Vick)
Cards. (Not a chance)
Chiefs (probable win even with Vick)
and then Bengals. I'm thinking best case they can be 2-2 without Ben.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT