ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley has to be one and done at Nebraska. ***

I never expected them to lose to Illinois, or be 2-3 after 5 games. They must be in meltdown in Lincoln.

Reactions: psu00
Saw the final score but not the game. They gave up a bomb to lose it?
I didn't watch it either, but this is what it said at the Nebraska site: "The Illini got the ball back at their own 28-yard line with 51 seconds left and no timeouts. The Illini went down the field and scored with 10 seconds left to tie the game, they then made the PAT to take a 14-13 lead. The Huskers got one play and were unable to respond, dropping their Big Ten opener.

It's bad here. Real bad. I have friend's that normal have a great jive game just shattered. It's actual funny...lol. I take back any negative thing I said about Franklin. Reilly is garbagio

Screw Nebraska. Let's beat their ass next time we play and take our 1994-95 national title to college avenue where it belongs!

They won't fire him until he wins 9 games a season for years and gets belligerent with the complainers. B1G Red is now symbolized by a bleeding heart. Never thought I would see the day Nebraskans gave up at least faking class.

Frank Solich was 58-19 at Nebraska. He won more games in the same time frame than did Bob Devaney. Nebraska FIRED him. They have been chasing their next Holy Grail of coaches ever since. It has relegated one of the all time programs to irrelevance.
IF Franklin doesn't win sufficiently for the moneyed alums, Penn State could be in the same boat. I have little faith in this AD making a superior hire.

They won't fire him until he wins 9 games a season for years and gets belligerent with the complainers. B1G Red is now symbolized by a bleeding heart. Never thought I would see the day Nebraskans gave up at least faking class.
Much like Penn State fans, they were nice as long as THEY were winning. The long knives came out quickly on O'Brien, even though he got hammered by sanctions before his team had played a game.

Frank Solich was 58-19 at Nebraska. He won more games in the same time frame than did Bob Devaney. Nebraska FIRED him. They have been chasing their next Holy Grail of coaches ever since. It has relegated one of the all time programs to irrelevance.
IF Franklin doesn't win sufficiently for the moneyed alums, Penn State could be in the same boat. I have little faith in this AD making a superior hire.

I think Franklin can be successful if he's flexible with his staff. He needs to decide whether he wants a mobile qb so we can go to a spread look. I think that's the way to go in college football. Once Hack leaves. While Hack is here, we need to throw the damn ball. Press it downfield. Make the defenses defend parts of the field they may not have the athletes to do. Baylor would be my model for a pro-style qb. They can run the ball too.
He also may have to cut the cord on our OL coach. I'll give Coach Hand more time because that position takes more time to develop players.

I love Franklin's attitude and work ethic. He's just not a guru when it comes to
x's and o's on offense. Doesn't have to be if he defines what he's going to do. And,
gets the right offensive coaches to execute the plan. CEO type coach. A Mack Brown
type for comparision's sake.

Well, they fired their previous coach because despite being winning 8 games a year he was not winning the Big games. So do you lower your expectations? or do you try to restore your once TOP position? Tough call. Moving to the Big 10 was not a great move by Nebraska. They used to build their program around Texas kids. Now very few from Texas.

In case some members don't know... Mike Reilly was one of of the four people JoPa recommended to succeed him once he retired.

Reilly's not going to get fired after one year, no matter how bad it gets. Sonny Dykes went 1-11 his first year at Cal and now in his third year Cal is 4-0 and ranked 24th. Coaches need time to put their own stamp on their programs. Charlie Strong at Texas needs time, too. Franklin will likely be Penn State's coach for at least 10 years.

A friend is a Nebraska alum whose dad was a prominent booster through the late 90s. He one day let me know why Huskers hate Texas so much, and his explanation also explains the decline of NU football since 1997.

When Texas and the 3 other schools from the defunct SWC were entering the Big 12, they all insisted (following UT’s lead, of course) that no Big 12 team could admit non-qualifiers on scholarship and only a couple of partial qualifiers. Coach Osborne feasted on such athletes with guys like Rozier and Hipp. So, in 1996, NU had to stop signing all those stud athletes with awful test scores … and just as suddenly, after 1997, the Husker dominance ended.

Osborne retired (conveniently?) after that terrific 1997 squad won the MNC. Nebraska, meanwhile, never beat Texas in the regular season, defeating the Horns only once in a re-match for the conference title. My friend also said that Nebraska asked for and received approval from the new league that the Huskers would never have to play BOTH UT and OU in the same regular season, reducing the number of opportunities NU had of beating the Horns.

My friend does not expect Nebraska to ever regain the national dominance it had under Osborne, especially now that it is more difficult to recruit in Texas. He also is quite convinced that the Big Ten truly is biased for the 2 darlings, OSU and Michigan. To this day, he, his family back home in Nebraska, and his alumni pals hate UT for being the catalyst of the Great Husker Demise.

I agree with him that NU will never return to those Osborne glory years while in the Big Ten.

A friend is a Nebraska alum whose dad was a prominent booster through the late 90s. He one day let me know why Huskers hate Texas so much, and his explanation also explains the decline of NU football since 1997.

When Texas and the 3 other schools from the defunct SWC were entering the Big 12, they all insisted (following UT’s lead, of course) that no Big 12 team could admit non-qualifiers on scholarship and only a couple of partial qualifiers. Coach Osborne feasted on such athletes with guys like Rozier and Hipp. So, in 1996, NU had to stop signing all those stud athletes with awful test scores … and just as suddenly, after 1997, the Husker dominance ended.

Osborne retired (conveniently?) after that terrific 1997 squad won the MNC. Nebraska, meanwhile, never beat Texas in the regular season, defeating the Horns only once in a re-match for the conference title. My friend also said that Nebraska asked for and received approval from the new league that the Huskers would never have to play BOTH UT and OU in the same regular season, reducing the number of opportunities NU had of beating the Horns.

My friend does not expect Nebraska to ever regain the national dominance it had under Osborne, especially now that it is more difficult to recruit in Texas. He also is quite convinced that the Big Ten truly is biased for the 2 darlings, OSU and Michigan. To this day, he, his family back home in Nebraska, and his alumni pals hate UT for being the catalyst of the Great Husker Demise.

I agree with him that NU will never return to those Osborne glory years while in the Big Ten.

So, they're mad they can't recruit a bunch of dumbasses? Did, I get that right? Does the Tiny 10 allow you to recruit non-qualifiers?

Reactions: EPC FAN
So, they're mad they can't recruit a bunch of dumbasses? Did, I get that right? Does the Tiny 10 allow you to recruit non-qualifiers?

Well, it does appear that you are correct. Most of those star NJ athletes that went to NU were not even offered by PSU during a period when Penn State pretty much controlled NJ.

My friend's explanation makes sense to me because little else changed for Nebraska in 1996 other than the ban on non-qualifiers. Look at their gains:

1. no annual game with Oklahoma after 1995

2. never having to play the league's 2 best teams in the same year (heck, Penn State often played the 2 Big Ten Darlings back-to-back)

3. stayed in the North division with traditional weaklings like Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri, Colorado (not much of a power at all after 1996, with only 1 season since then with less than 4 losses). K-State did get solid from 1997-2003 though).

4. regular trips into Texas, making recruiting of Lone Star State athletes easier

I used to admire Osborne and NU until I read that Tom actually hid evidence from the police to protect Lawrence Phillips. But the NU was a powerful juggernaut in those days.

It's bad here. Real bad. I have friend's that normal have a great jive game just shattered. It's actual funny...lol. I take back any negative thing I said about Franklin. Reilly is garbagio
I don't agree. i think he's going to go a great job. Nebraska doesn't have championship talent. Give him some time. I think nebraska has a much better chance of wining the big with Riley than you did with Pelini. No way he gets fired this year unless they lose the rest of their games.

I don't agree. i think he's going to go a great job. Nebraska doesn't have championship talent. Give him some time. I think nebraska has a much better chance of wining the big with Riley than you did with Pelini. No way he gets fired this year unless they lose the rest of their games.
The state is already split now. People went from talking about 10-2.....to 3-9. I'm told by my wife daily to not say a thing....It's pretty hard after all the crap they slung at me for the sandus....you get the picture. I'm relishing the pain. It is bad...radio has been great to listen to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT