ADVERTISEMENT

Mick Jagger last night at age 80 (81 in July)

I read a story about Watts and Mick. Apparently, they were on the road and Mick did a TV interview before a big concert. Mick goes back to his hotel room and is chilling. There is a knock at the door so Mick looks through the peephole and sees Charlie standing there. Mick opens the door and Charlie just plants him with a punch to Mick's cheek. Mick is completely knocked to the ground and looking up and Charlie says something like "Charlie? WTF?". Charlie says "I am NOT YOUR drummer. I am the drummer for the Rolling Stones. If you ever refer to me as 'your drummer' again, you'll get another shot" and turns around and walks away. That humbled Mick and has kept the stones together for this long.

This was recounted by a DJ who claims that Ronnie told it to him when asked why the stones have lasted so long as a group. Lastly, he said that you've never been punched until you get punched by a drummer as they are strong and fast.
Charlie was a cool and quiet dude. His odd beats and off tempo rhythm formed the base for Keith to build off of. Charlie hated touring because he needed to be dressed as a proper gentleman all the time and apparently took hours to pack and unpack each city.

Reactions: Obliviax
Charlie was a cool and quiet dude. His odd beats and off tempo rhythm formed the base for Keith to build off of. Charlie hated touring because he needed to be dressed as a proper gentleman all the time and apparently took hours to pack and unpack each city.
Saw the Stones at Three Rivers in Pittsburgh in early 90s. They introduced all the members and the crowd gave a huge ovation when Charlie was introduced. He seemed really shocked and moved by it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT