ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan

This is a great thread because it is the ultimate in disrespect to Iowa. We’re so not worried about you that we’re gonna predict a dual meet with Michigan.

At full strength, I don’t think there is a team that can beat us at a dual. We have four guys that will win every time, IMO and a 5th that I need to see wrestle Ferrari first before claiming the same. With the addition of Hildebrandt, I don’t think anyone gets bonused anymore (I don’t think Beau gets bonused again; he lost by 8 to the guy that I think is clearly far and away the best at 149 and wouldn’t if they wrestled again).

When your guaranteed 5 wins and won’t give up any bonus, you’re not getting beat. We’ll win a 6th and/or take bonus somewhere, I don’t care who the opponent may be.

I happen to think that today, given what we know, it's a two-and-a-half horse race, with PSU and Iowa still the top two, and Michigan with an outside shot. All of that could change in a split second if there are any more injuries ...
Surprising how readily some here seem to ignore/forget the terrible reality of this point. It seems like PSU has been disproportionately hobbled by the injury/illness bug over the past 2-3 years, leaving us with unexpected holes and forcing the coaches to improvise to some extent. You'd think that would make rational fans temper their predictions, if not their expectations.

Surprising how readily some here seem to ignore/forget the terrible reality of this point. It seems like PSU has been disproportionately hobbled by the injury/illness bug over the past 2-3 years, leaving us with unexpected holes and forcing the coaches to improvise to some extent. You'd think that would make rational fans temper their predictions, if not their expectations.
Who said there were rational fans? That's an oxymoron for most folks.

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Ever since VJ pinned IMAR as a freshman, I expect 5 champions every year, including one by a freshman over a guy thought to be unbeatable.

Injuries side, Covid testing could result in wiping out 1/2 a team at either conferences or the big dance. From a practical perspective, to prognosticate future results, we have to ignore the impact of a maybes and go with who we have available now.

Reactions: danoftw
Injuries side, Covid testing could result in wiping out 1/2 a team at either conferences or the big dance. From a practical perspective, to prognosticate future results, we have to ignore the impact of a maybes and go with who we have available now.
Crap, you’re right. There is that.

There's a provocative mention in the first sentence of the OP's post, so it started at the very beginning of this thread.

I happen to think that today, given what we know, it's a two-and-a-half horse race, with PSU and Iowa still the top two, and Michigan with an outside shot. All of that could change in a split second if there are any more injuries -- which I hope there are not -- for any team.
Wait what about Missouri lmfao

Which is exactly why I prefaced my OP with “barring unforeseen injuries”.

This is a great thread because it is the ultimate in disrespect to Iowa. We’re so not worried about you that we’re gonna predict a dual meet with Michigan.

At full strength, I don’t think there is a team that can beat us at a dual. We have four guys that will win every time, IMO and a 5th that I need to see wrestle Ferrari first before claiming the same. With the addition of Hildebrandt, I don’t think anyone gets bonused anymore (I don’t think Beau gets bonused again; he lost by 8 to the guy that I think is clearly far and away the best at 149 and wouldn’t if they wrestled again).

When your guaranteed 5 wins and won’t give up any bonus, you’re not getting beat. We’ll win a 6th and/or take bonus somewhere, I don’t care who the opponent may be.
Not disrespectful towards Iowa at all. PsU has won 8 of the past 10 championships and in those 8 occurances Iowa, unlike Ohio State, has never been good enough to be the best second place team. They have always finished 3rd or worse. With Penn State winning their 9th championship out of the last 11 it would make perfect sense for the Hawks to choke on Wolverine exhaust versus being close enough to sniff PSU's exhaust.

Not disrespectful towards Iowa at all. PsU has won 8 of the past 10 championships and in those 8 occurances Iowa, unlike Ohio State, has never been good enough to be the best second place team. They have always finished 3rd or worse. With Penn State winning their 9th championship out of the last 11 it would make perfect sense for the Hawks to choke on Wolverine exhaust versus being close enough to sniff PSU's exhaust.

Im on record, a few weeks ago, Micic will NOT be a factor, he’s got so many shirts he had to get a bigger closet.
I’m a bit more cautious about writing Micic off after just one match, his first one after an extended layoff from folkstyle. The guy is immensely talented. I think, if healthy, he’ll be a factor in March.

Reactions: mcpat
I’m a bit more cautious about writing Micic off after just one match, his first one after an extended layoff from folkstyle. The guy is immensely talented. I think, if healthy, he’ll be a factor in March.

Chlebove is 3-3 against D1 133s this year. Micic looked around his size and not much faster. I get that everyone has off days, but I expected Micic to blow through Chlebove like he was standing still and pick him apart from neutral; that didn't happen.

Also, imagine Nick Lee wrestling the backup to the guy he majored a couple weeks ago.

Reactions: jack66
ADVERTISEMENT