ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
125 – Mattin (So)

Mattin went 21-14 and 2-2 in the NCAA tournament as a true freshman. Assad may also be an option here with Mattin having an available redshirt.

133 – Micic (Jr)

A 2-time AA with a 4th place finish in 2017 and runner up last year (26-3 season record).

141 – Storr (So)

A transfer from Iowa State, Storr is likely going to replace Profaci as the starter (Profaci went 12-15 last year. Storr went 15-7 with ISU – his most notable win was against Mason Smith.)

149 – Malik Amine (Sr)

Amine qualified for the tournament last year and went 1-2 (16-14 season record).

157 – Pantaleo (Sr)

Two-time AA, 3 time qualifier (2-2 @149 in 2015, 6th place @149 in 2016 and 5th place @157 last year from the 5 seed). Pantaleo went 20-7 in his first year @157, including 4 wins against Micah Jordan.

165 – Massa (Jr)

After a 3rd place finish in 2017, Massa had an injury plagued season last year and finished 1-2 in the tournament (from the 7 seed).

174 – Myles Amine (Jr)

Two-time AA, 4th in 2017, 3rd last year (from the 5 seed). Myles went 26-7 last year with a pair each of close losses to Mark Hall and Zahid Valencia. He went to 2-1 against Bo Jordan, including a victory in the NCAA tournament.

184 – Embree (Fr)

Embree went 15-2 in his redshirt year (losses to Geer and Reenan) and is replacing Abounader, a 3-time qualifier and 5th place finisher from last year (from the 5 seed).

197 – Striggow (Jr)

Replacing former AA Beazley (8th place for Old Dominion in 2017) who missed last year’s tournament due to injury. Striggow was the starter @197 in 2017, going 12-13 and not qualifying for the tournament. He went 16-8 last year (mostly in open tournaments) with his most notable win against Kyle Conel.

H – Ready (Fr)/Nemec (Fr)/Parris (Fr)

Someone has the very difficult task in taking over for 3-time AA Adam Coon (2nd in 2018, 3rd in 2016, 2nd in 2015, R12 in 2014). If Parris redshirts, it looks like the starter would be Ready or Nemec who went 4-5 and 6-6 in their redshirt years last year.

Michigan loses 2 AAs from last year (Coon and Abounader) and a former AA (Beazley) and returns 3 AAs from last year (Micic, Pantaleo, Myles Amine) plus Massa who was an AA in 2017. Embree joins the lineup and could make some noise at 184. So far, it looks like Parris will redshirt.
Interestingly, 5 out of their 6 seeded wrestlers performed to seed or better last year. With Coon moving on, it will take that kind of performance again plus additional points at other weights to match their 4th place finish/80 points from last year.

125 – Mattin (So)

Mattin went 21-14 and 2-2 in the NCAA tournament as a true freshman. Assad may also be an option here with Mattin having an available redshirt.

133 – Micic (Jr)

A 2-time AA with a 4th place finish in 2017 and runner up last year (26-3 season record).

141 – Storr (So)

A transfer from Iowa State, Storr is likely going to replace Profaci as the starter (Profaci went 12-15 last year. Storr went 15-7 with ISU – his most notable win was against Mason Smith.)

149 – Malik Amine (Sr)

Amine qualified for the tournament last year and went 1-2 (16-14 season record).

157 – Pantaleo (Sr)

Two-time AA, 3 time qualifier (2-2 @149 in 2015, 6th place @149 in 2016 and 5th place @157 last year from the 5 seed). Pantaleo went 20-7 in his first year @157, including 4 wins against Micah Jordan.

165 – Massa (Jr)

After a 3rd place finish in 2017, Massa had an injury plagued season last year and finished 1-2 in the tournament (from the 7 seed).

174 – Myles Amine (Jr)

Two-time AA, 4th in 2017, 3rd last year (from the 5 seed). Myles went 26-7 last year with a pair each of close losses to Mark Hall and Zahid Valencia. He went to 2-1 against Bo Jordan, including a victory in the NCAA tournament.

184 – Embree (Fr)

Embree went 15-2 in his redshirt year (losses to Geer and Reenan) and is replacing Abounader, a 3-time qualifier and 5th place finisher from last year (from the 5 seed).

197 – Striggow (Jr)

Replacing former AA Beazley (8th place for Old Dominion in 2017) who missed last year’s tournament due to injury. Striggow was the starter @197 in 2017, going 12-13 and not qualifying for the tournament. He went 16-8 last year (mostly in open tournaments) with his most notable win against Kyle Conel.

H – Ready (Fr)/Nemec (Fr)/Parris (Fr)

Someone has the very difficult task in taking over for 3-time AA Adam Coon (2nd in 2018, 3rd in 2016, 2nd in 2015, R12 in 2014). If Parris redshirts, it looks like the starter would be Ready or Nemec who went 4-5 and 6-6 in their redshirt years last year.

Michigan loses 2 AAs from last year (Coon and Abounader) and a former AA (Beazley) and returns 3 AAs from last year (Micic, Pantaleo, Myles Amine) plus Massa who was an AA in 2017. Embree joins the lineup and could make some noise at 184. So far, it looks like Parris will redshirt.
Interestingly, 5 out of their 6 seeded wrestlers performed to seed or better last year. With Coon moving on, it will take that kind of performance again plus additional points at other weights to match their 4th place finish/80 points from last year.
thanks for posting It will be interesting watching how they will do this year. Lots of their guys have a chance and you never know when it comes right down to it. Seems the bottom 3 will be their weakest link (bottom being top- heavies)

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: funkisfun12
I thought, as Hawkeye fan, it was going to be the big three like football for little while there. Now, not so much. The BIG is going to have some good battles in the future with PSU being the hunted one.

Reactions: VRE
I don't see Suriano beating Gross or Micic if Nick goes up to 133.
I do not think Gross or Micic is a 133 pound Spencer equivalent. So I think it is possible Nick can beat either of the top 2 returning 133 pounders. With that said, what I saw in Nick last year was a kid whose offensive skills had actually atrophied. Just a small amount, but enough that Nick had nothing to use to score when wrestling Cruz and against Spencer, Nick offensively looked helpless.

Unless he gets some coaching from the Rutgers' staff, which the level necessary I do not believe exists in the Rutgers' room, Nick will struggle to score from the quarters on at 133.
So while i believe Nick can beat Gross or Micic in a very low scoring match, I believe it is just as likely Nick loses a low scoring match in the quarters, semis or finals.

Reactions: Afw6006 and tikk10
I do not think Gross or Micic is a 133 pound Spencer equivalent. So I think it is possible Nick can beat either of the top 2 returning 133 pounders. With that said, what I saw in Nick last year was a kid whose offensive skills had actually atrophied. Just a small amount, but enough that Nick had nothing to use to score when wrestling Cruz and against Spencer, Nick offensively looked helpless.

Unless he gets some coaching from the Rutgers' staff, which the level necessary I do not believe exists in the Rutgers' room, Nick will struggle to score from the quarters on at 133.
So while i believe Nick can beat Gross or Micic in a very low scoring match, I believe it is just as likely Nick loses a low scoring match in the quarters, semis or finals.
All bouts I would love to see. Rutgers gets Michigan at home this year, so Suriano vs Micic should happen, then could meet up again at B1G's and NCAA's. SDST goes to Midland's, I believe, so there could be some Gross vs Suriano or Micic match-ups there too.

People seem to forget Nick had a knee injury at NCAAs. While he isn't the most offensively gifted wrestler in the group, he is one of the best athletes. His strength alone is going to keep him in that top tier. He most definitely CAN beat Micic and Gross and will be a nightmare match up for them because he'll be stronger than both.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Yeah, I tend to agree--I think it's something of a myth to say NS "regressed" because of bad coaching. No--he hasn't necessarily 'opened up' the way a lot of our guys do when they learn to wrestle Braveheart style, but a healthy NS is not to be underestimated. I think the biggest hurdle in his game is mental. He's of the Gable toughness school, which produces a lot of toughness, but also a lot of pressure. I would not be surprised in the least if he wins 133 this year--especially if Daton goes 125.

People seem to forget Nick had a knee injury at NCAAs. While he isn't the most offensively gifted wrestler in the group, he is one of the best athletes. His strength alone is going to keep him in that top tier. He most definitely CAN beat Micic and Gross and will be a nightmare match up for them because he'll be stronger than both.

If I've learned anything, over the last 20 years particularly, in college wrestling, it's that being the strongest guy is usually a ticket to a declining career in the worst case and a bunch of lower AA finishes in the best case.

Reactions: vhsalum
If I've learned anything, over the last 20 years particularly, in college wrestling, it's that being the strongest guy is usually a ticket to a declining career in the worst case and a bunch of lower AA finishes in the best case.
The recently crowned "best" in PSU history notwithstanding? Or Dake? Snyder? Strength alone can't do it, for sure, but it can certainly help--a lot....

Where do I find the list of the strongest guy at each weight, 1998-present;)

Reactions: dunkej01
Micic, yes, Gross, absolutely not. 133 is Gross' to lose.
That depends on the matchups and types of matches wrestled. Gross got tested by Wilson and beaten by Micic on feet, won the title over Micic with an NF4. I could see Suriano beating either in a grind it out 3-2 match, or having trouble in a more wide open match.

Reactions: nitlion6
Here's one from amongst the 149 pounders...

4f615fe45cff3-image.jpg
Kinda tough to imagine a stronger 174 pounder than Matt Brown.
However, I got matter's point and agree. The wrestler who is built like a greek God is eventually going to run into trouble if he doesn't also have serious scoring skills.

Reactions: matter7172
Exhibit A...Erich Schmidtke from Oklahoma. His muscle only went so far, and he was as ripped as any wrestler I've ever seen (minus Scotti Sentes).

2012Bedlam-2457.jpg

Not knowing who is actually the strongest, but I'd guess contenders just from last year include:
-125 Suriano
-149 Retherford
-165 Cenzo/Imar
-174 Zahid
-197 Conel
-285 Snyder

That group did pretty well. Maybe strength is ~50% of the equation??:cool:

Not knowing who is actually the strongest, but I'd guess contenders just from last year include:
-125 Suriano
-149 Retherford
-165 Cenzo/Imar
-174 Zahid
-197 Conel
-285 Snyder

I'm not sure people understand just how important strength is at the D1 level. Let alone to AA.

Reactions: dicemen99
Muscle strength vs muscle endurance. Need both, imo. Even then, it's only part of the equation.

-125 Suriano
-149 Retherford
-165 Cenzo/Imar
-174 Zahid
-197 Conel
-285 Snyder

I would've guessed Tomasello at 125. Dude looks like he puts a car on each end of the deadlift bar.

is this the point where we start discussing oxygen, musculature and gassing?

#Ilovethesummer

I would've guessed Tomasello at 125. Dude looks like he puts a car on each end of the deadlift bar.
I don’t dispute NaTo’s strength, but Zain is on record that NS is the strongest guy he ever wrestled (quote was before Worlds last year). I think the real question here is what do you do with your strength. By itself, it can get you far in high school and less far in D1. Nick also had elite head/hands defense in HS. But you gotta have a way to score (either as a way of life, or when you need an ace) to win NCAAs.

Reactions: ZepGraffiti
I don’t dispute NaTo’s strength, but Zain is on record that NS is the strongest guy he ever wrestled (quote was before Worlds last year). I think the real question here is what do you do with your strength. By itself, it can get you far in high school and less far in D1. Nick also had elite head/hands defense in HS. But you gotta have a way to score (either as a way of life, or when you need an ace) to win NCAAs.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and call that hyperbole and/or coach speak. Zain works out with bigger guys too -- Suriano stronger than Cenzo? Martinez might dispute that.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and call that hyperbole and/or coach speak. Zain works out with bigger guys too -- Suriano stronger than Cenzo? Martinez might dispute that.
I don't recall, can't find the interview. He may have been poised a P4P question, or he may have interpreted it thus. This was back when he was w/ the good guys--so it coulda been some team promotion stuff.

Forgot about Tomo, good call.
Was just having lil fun with the subject because how the hell does anyone really know the strongest?
Give me the guy with great hand/wrist strength and a solid "core" [along with technique, endurance, flexibility/scrambl........ well you know - all of it]:D

If the point had been 'just cause a guy looks like Adonis, with the model body, doesn't make him a good wrestler', then no debate here. Looks can be deceiving.

You need a certain level of strength to be able to compete successfully. But once you have that level, the other factors are what decide - not who is the "strongest". The difference in strength between the "strongest" and the above average strength NCAA wrestler is not that great. Jake Kemerer was super strong. The Bull at Iowa was probably stronger than Cenzo. Coon was definitely stronger than Snyder, etc.

Daaaaang, that is one heck of a pick up. 2 time Olympic gold medalist, 6 time world champ and likely would have been a 3 time Olympic gold medalist if not for the 84 boycott. Michigan RTC stepping their game up big time.

I met the Belaglozov brothers at a wrestling camp this Summer and they ran sessions for a couple days - they were awesome!!! Pretty solid get for Michigan!

You need a certain level of strength to be able to compete successfully. But once you have that level, the other factors are what decide - not who is the "strongest". The difference in strength between the "strongest" and the above average strength NCAA wrestler is not that great. Jake Kemerer was super strong. The Bull at Iowa was probably stronger than Cenzo. Coon was definitely stronger than Snyder, etc.
You have no idea of what you speak.

-125 Suriano
-149 Retherford
-165 Cenzo/Imar
-174 Zahid
-197 Conel
-285 Snyder

Cael, Taylor, Nickal and Nolf might give you a debate on this subject .... along with Yanni, Gross and Zahid from last year. I would throw Spencer in, but aside from looks he might be stronger than Nato.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT