ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State University president fires back at ESPN, NCAA [HOLLIS UPDATE]

Like for your latest sig pic. Probity, indeed! Something about water and women - always been kind of a fetish with me.

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

Interesting to always go back in time and look at what was going on during various tragedies , scandals etc in modern times.

The Sandusky scandal... was a perfect storm of sorts... an aging Coach... sexual assault of young boys...a governing body ( NCAA) trying to show their relevance ... a school and BOT led by Corporate Execs looking to only save their asses... a Governor looking for payback...no President or Leadership to take control of the rudderless ship... a tragedy of incompetence everywhere you turn.

MSU... though dealing with their own tragedy much larger in scale... also has the advantage of learning what or how “ NOT” to handle a scandal , in a time where we are starting to see a shift in the general public starting to raise their eyebrow on these “ investigative journalistic” efforts and many now with a great resentment of the NCAA who once again has stuck their nose in an area they never should be involved with...

MSU will pay $$$ no doubt. But no way Izzo or Dantonio lose their jobs... not going to happen.

Lou Ann and Mark Hollis were the fall guys... but besides some additional bad PR... a big payout for settlements... do ‘tvthink We see anymore firings of any sort...

Sorry for rambling...

I am now getting an infinity pool

viki-from-russia-with-so-much-more-than-just-love-35-photos-9.gif

I'm sure glad Fraudney and the BOT wrote a similar letter to uphold sixty-one years or honor and integrity every time and every article lovingly showed JoePa with his arm around Sandusky.

I get more sick and annoyed at the lack of leadership in place in 2011 with the more time that passes. I've said it before. I'll say it again. EVERY single option and decision that the clowns trying to lead this university made in 2011 was absolutely, positively wrong.

Interesting to always go back in time and look at what was going on during various tragedies , scandals etc in modern times.

The Sandusky scandal... was a perfect storm of sorts... an aging Coach... sexual assault of young boys...a governing body ( NCAA) trying to show their relevance ... a school and BOT led by Corporate Execs looking to only save their asses... a Governor looking for payback...no President or Leadership to take control of the rudderless ship... a tragedy of incompetence everywhere you turn.

MSU... though dealing with their own tragedy much larger in scale... also has the advantage of learning what or how “ NOT” to handle a scandal , in a time where we are starting to see a shift in the general public starting to raise their eyebrow on these “ investigative journalistic” efforts and many now with a great resentment of the NCAA who once again has stuck their nose in an area they never should be involved with...

MSU will pay $$$ no doubt. But no way Izzo or Dantonio lose their jobs... not going to happen.

Lou Ann and Mark Hollis were the fall guys... but besides some additional bad PR... a big payout for settlements... do ‘tvthink We see anymore firings of any sort...

Sorry for rambling...
Nassar is something MSU USA Gymnastics and The Olympic Committee are going to have to reckon with.
MSU certainly misjudged or fumbled the whole mess;
But ESPIN overstepped in trying to drag Izzo and Dantonio into the vortex.

Agreed....one other major factor -- a lazy and sensationalistic media (looking at you, Worldwide Leader) which ignored due process, basic fairness, and became a virtual lynch mob. It was all about a narrative which had little to do with the truth, but became firmly established (helped greatly by the lack of push back from the BOT and other PSU leaders).

So this is what a Uprez with at least one ball sounds like?
We already know that a Rod without balls sounds like a eunuch. (But he's our eunuch, says the OGBOT.)
No, this is what a President who doesn't want to face reality sounds like.

Counter-attacking the NCAA? Sure, no harm in that. Counter-attacking ESPN? Very, very dangerous territory. They create the narrative they choose to be seen. That may have been a major miscalculation by MSU.

Reactions: acg116
They create the narrative they choose to be seen.
Unfortunately, CPL, you are correct. What gets them more hits, clicks, viewers is what they will put out there.

If their coaches are guilty of covering up the allegations, then they deserve just punishments. If they are not guilty, then I hope the administration at MSU continues to battle espin.

OL

Reactions: Connorpozlee

From what I have heard, MSU has spent the better part of the last few years blocking ESPN's FOIA request, looking into the football and basketball programs handling of sexual assult. They have spent the last two years in court. If MSU did what they are supposed to do under the FOIA, the information about Mark and Tom may have been released much sooner than the Nassar disgrace.

ESPN started looking into Izzo and Dantonio and the elements of that story back around 2014 I think -- maybe even earlier. FAR before Nassar was even a story (the IndyStar story came out in the summer of 2016 during the middle of the Olympics). But MSU sued and delayed and sued and delayed again. The lawsuits weren't resolved until around this September, and even then MSU still had to turn over the documents and ESPN still had to finish their reporting and conduct interviews and followup interviews. Just editing the video for a story like that (not to mention the written story) is typically a multi-week process, and potentially even longer for a bombshell story like that.

By then, the Nassar story was in full swing which changed the scope of the original story from "MSU covers up football and basketball rapes" to "MSU covers up every damn thing under the sun."

So Sparty can bitch all they want that ESPN tied the Dantonio/Izzo parts of the story to the Nassar story, but by the time ESPN was actually allowed to finish their reporting, the two stories were tied together.

Is this allowed?
Based on the CYA actions of Penn State's board, I figured the MO was curl up in the fetal position and take what espin gave you.
Hmm. Imagine that, standing up for yourself.

OL

How did that work for Simon and the AD who resigned?

How did that work for Simon and the AD who resigned?
What's tragically funny is MSU AD Mark Hollis would've been fine had he braved the storm. He resigned just before the ESPN investigative report was published about Dantonio and Izzo.

He is already determined to not "last long" (He is a temporary interim).

In the meantime:

The idea that speaking frankly and openly, and defending the institution he is DUTY-BOUND to protect - against the likes of the ESPN idiots - is considered a "huge mistake", I can only SMFH.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the specifics of his statements.

Not only that but it seems no one other then the MSU BOT thinks that hiring him, even just as interim, was a good idea, certainty not the students, nor the faculty, nor many of the alumni.

The faculty just gave a vote of no confidence to the BOT as well.

What's tragically funny is MSU AD Mark Hollis would've been fine had he braved the storm. He resigned just before the ESPN investigative report was published about Dantonio and Izzo.

Yes. He knew he F'ed up. Lasting the storm does not make it right. That applies to Izzo and DAntonio.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT