ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan DC appears finalist for Temple HC

NittanyOpp

Mar 13, 2014
The Athletic's Bruce Feldman reports that Michigan DC Don Brown interviewed for the open head-coaching position at Temple on Tuesday.

The Owls were reportedly also interested in Texas A&M DC Mike Elko, but Elko now looks like he will be sticking with the Aggies for the coming campaign. Next target up, Brown, it would appear. The UM DC was a finalist for the Broyles Award this past season (an award that ultimately ended up going to Alabama OC Mike Locksley, now head coach at Maryland). He has been building elite defenses at Michigan for the past three seasons. Should Temple finalize a deal with Brown, this would not be his first go-round as a head coach, having previously held the lead position at Plymouth State (1993-95), Northeastern (2000-03) and UMass (2004-08).

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman reports that Michigan DC Don Brown interviewed for the open head-coaching position at Temple on Tuesday.

The Owls were reportedly also interested in Texas A&M DC Mike Elko, but Elko now looks like he will be sticking with the Aggies for the coming campaign. Next target up, Brown, it would appear. The UM DC was a finalist for the Broyles Award this past season (an award that ultimately ended up going to Alabama OC Mike Locksley, now head coach at Maryland). He has been building elite defenses at Michigan for the past three seasons. Should Temple finalize a deal with Brown, this would not be his first go-round as a head coach, having previously held the lead position at Plymouth State (1993-95), Northeastern (2000-03) and UMass (2004-08).
He's not a young guy and Temple isn't exactly a plum job, though much better than it once was. I can't help but think maybe he's tired of Jimmy H.

Unless he is tired of Jimmy, he is crazy to take the Temple job. I realize I am more negative than most about Temple but then again I have spent time on the campus

He's not a young guy and Temple isn't exactly a plum job, though much better than it once was. I can't help but think maybe he's tired of Jimmy H.

Or maybe he just wants a HC job and realizes this might be his last chance? He was a HC three times prior. Temple, sadly, would be a bigger job than any of his other stops. He's also from the northeast and spent most of his career in that area. Maybe he wants to be closer to what he considers home? There's just no reason to make that assumption you are unless you know nothing about Brown.

Or maybe he just wants a HC job and realizes this might be his last chance? He was a HC three times prior. Temple, sadly, would be a bigger job than any of his other stops. He's also from the northeast and spent most of his career in that area. Maybe he wants to be closer to what he considers home? There's just no reason to make that assumption you are unless you know nothing about Brown.
At what 63, c"mon man. A---DC at a final stop(Mich) school, going to Temple. I can see Schiano, the Bucks can't wait to dump him, even Butch Jones , seems like a year with Nick is about all OC's can tolerate. If anything DB got a royal ass chewing after the OSU game, and had enough. I do get that impression that Michigan is not a happy place to be

Really, Mr. know it all? I can give plenty of reasons to make that assumption.

At what 63, c"mon man. A---DC at a final stop(Mich) school, going to Temple. I can see Schiano, the Bucks can't wait to dump him, even Butch Jones , seems like a year with Nick is about all OC's can tolerate. If anything DB got a royal ass chewing after the OSU game, and had enough. I do get that impression that Michigan is not a happy place to be

Les Miles is 65 and just went to Kansas. F***ing Kansas.
Herm Edwards was 62/63 when he took the job at Arizona State
Mack Brown went back to UNC at 67

These guys all had much bigger jobs in the past but they want the opportunity to be a head coach again. Most guys always want the opportunity to prove they can win a head coach. Hell, Gruden eventually gave up and went back.

Don Brown who's been a HC before probably would like another shot. That's a realistic assumption. It's also realistic that with his resume he's not getting a P5 job. The AAC is the 6th conference (MWC is close) so it's the perfect situation for someone like that. He may not be happy at Michigan but him showing interest in the Temple job doesn't prove that to be true nor should it be the first assumption. It would be like people saying Penn State is toxic because Gattis left. It doesn't make sense.

These guys all had much bigger jobs in the past but they want the opportunity to be a head coach again. Most guys always want the opportunity to prove they can win a head coach. Hell, Gruden eventually gave up and went back.

Don Brown who's been a HC before probably would like another shot. That's a realistic assumption. It's also realistic that with his resume he's not getting a P5 job. The AAC is the 6th conference (MWC is close) so it's the perfect situation for someone like that. He may not be happy at Michigan but him showing interest in the Temple job doesn't prove that to be true nor should it be the first assumption. It would be like people saying Penn State is toxic because Gattis left. It doesn't make sense.
Okay, you're perfectly correct. He would leave Michigan for Temple due to the irresistible siren song calling him to be a head coach somewhere. I mean, the fact that he's lauded practically every waking moment by the media and others as being a supreme defensive coordinator just can't stop the pull of going to Temple. Harbaugh's simply a joy to work with, but being a head coach trumps even the pleasure of Harbaugh's company and leadership each and every day. My lord, why wouldn't anyone want to be the head coach at Temple given the opportunity?

I for one am delighted to hear tha he is interviewing for Temple, for their sake and for our's. I hope Zach H is taking note of this, whether or not it impacts his thinking!

Reactions: ralphster
I for one am delighted to hear tha he is interviewing for Temple, for their sake and for our's. I hope Zach H is taking note of this, whether or not it impacts his thinking!
Actually, he doesn't scare me as a DC. Talented offenses beat his defense like a drum. Exhibit A: OSU 2018, Exhibit B: PSU 2017

I'm surprised they don't try and bring back Golden. He did a good job while at Temple.

Okay, you're perfectly correct. He would leave Michigan for Temple due to the irresistible siren song calling him to be a head coach somewhere. I mean, the fact that he's lauded practically every waking moment by the media and others as being a supreme defensive coordinator just can't stop the pull of going to Temple. Harbaugh's simply a joy to work with, but being a head coach trumps even the pleasure of Harbaugh's company and leadership each and every day. My lord, why wouldn't anyone want to be the head coach at Temple given the opportunity?

Again--the man is from Massachusetts, he spent his entire life prior to going to Michigan in the northeast, he has been a HC coach before but instead of believing he may want to be a head coach again or return home it makes more sense to claim this is all about Harbaugh and how he's the devil. Yupp, there's no bias there.

Why wouldn't anyone want the opportunity to coach Temple? Well, since you clearly don't follow football outside Penn State then Temple job is pretty good and leads to opportunity...
Golden--Miami
Addazio--Boston College
Rhule-Baylor
Collins--Georgia Tech
This isn't the 80s or even the 90s. Step into present day Howie. Temple is one of the best gateway jobs to a P5 right now.

Again--the man is from Massachusetts, he spent his entire life prior to going to Michigan in the northeast, he has been a HC coach before but instead of believing he may want to be a head coach again or return home it makes more sense to claim this is all about Harbaugh and how he's the devil. Yupp, there's no bias there.

Why wouldn't anyone want the opportunity to coach Temple? Well, since you clearly don't follow football outside Penn State then Temple job is pretty good and leads to opportunity...
Golden--Miami
Addazio--Boston College
Rhule-Baylor
Collins--Georgia Tech

This isn't the 80s or even the 90s. Step into present day Howie. Temple is one of the best gateway jobs to a P5 right now.

By your own standard, every single game any of these teams has played in the last 20+ years is a meaningless exhibition that their best players ought to have skipped so as to avoid injury for their big payday coming on Draft Day.

I'm surprised they don't try and bring back Golden. He did a good job while at Temple.
I wondered the same thing. Maybe he would be at a place in life that he would either want to/be forced to stick around for a while, even if he was having success.
Let's face it, Doc Holiday at Marshall has a pretty good record (despite what many Herd fans think) but he isnt going anywhere else to be a HC at his age. Not that Al is that old but just saying.

By your own standard, every single game any of these teams has played in the last 20+ years is a meaningless exhibition that their best players ought to have skipped so as to avoid injury for their big payday coming on Draft Day.

You're being ridiculous. I've never said regular season games didn't have meaning and I've explained this multiple times.

Also, to honor the scholarship you need to play in the regular season games if healthy. Bowl games are not played during the fall semester.

I don't understand why it bothers you that many people have now accepted that the bowls are meaningless. You can still enjoy exhibitions. We have a ton of people that go to the Blue-White game yearly or watch on TV. It's still football. Just lacks meaning.

Herm was playing with leftovers, let's see what he does next year. Mack sat behind a desk playing Monday morning QB like Gruden, Les, is a good coach unfortunately, Kansas State got a younger and up and comer, in the same state.

Gattis went for money, and padding his coaching resume, i'd be surprised if he isn't the HC of App St. by Friday. Franklin was not happy with his leaving sounded like he wanted the AD to pony up $$$.

I didn't say Michigan was toxic , sometimes people are difficult to get along with, it still rolls down hill, even today. There was probably a dump truck full of turds after the OSU game.

Gruden talks a good game and is very impressionable as he dissects game film, getting that across to some under achieving pros is another thing.

Stadium Network's Brett McMurphy reports that Miami DC Manny Diaz "has emerged as a top candidate" for the open head-coaching position at Temple.

We have had a few pieces of news swirling around the open job at Temple on Wednesday. For starters, both Texas A&M DC Mike Elko and Michigan DC Don Brown have interviewed for the job, though Elko is expected to stick with the Aggies. It's easy enough to read into Temple's approach with their coaching search, as they're clearly looking for a defensive mind, here. While Miami turned in a disappointing showing for the 2018 campaign, Diaz's unit was one of the best in the country, finishing the season with the 15th-best scoring defense in allowing 18.2 points per game.

You're being ridiculous. I've never said regular season games didn't have meaning and I've explained this multiple times.

Also, to honor the scholarship you need to play in the regular season games if healthy. Bowl games are not played during the fall semester.

I don't understand why it bothers you that many people have now accepted that the bowls are meaningless. You can still enjoy exhibitions. We have a ton of people that go to the Blue-White game yearly or watch on TV. It's still football. Just lacks meaning.
The entire resume of every game played by those also-rans in the last 20 years has no meaning, especially the bowl games they have played. Temple wants to hire Brown to take them to more meaningless bowl games. Your standard, not mine. You show how Temple's previous coaches prove that it is a meaningful job by citing the long list of uncompetitive teams they have coached, some of which actually appeared in a meaningless bowl game or two.

There is no point in ANY of it.

Reactions: Howie'81
Herm was playing with leftovers, let's see what he does next year. Mack sat behind a desk playing Monday morning QB like Gruden, Les, is a good coach unfortunately, Kansas State got a younger and up and comer, in the same state.

Gattis went for money, and padding his coaching resume, i'd be surprised if he isn't the HC of App St. by Friday. Franklin was not happy with his leaving sounded like he wanted the AD to pony up $$$.

I didn't say Michigan was toxic , sometimes people are difficult to get along with, it still rolls down hill, even today. There was probably a dump truck full of turds after the OSU game.

Gruden talks a good game and is very impressionable as he dissects game film, getting that across to some under achieving pros is another thing.

I'm fine with all of this but there's nothing to say that Brown is doing this because of Harbaugh other than we don't like Harbaugh. if this was a job that wasn't on the east coast I could buy this being a "Harbaugh" issue but Temple, on paper, is a good fit for what Brown would/may want.

Honestly, more than anything, if he's married I'd be betting on the wife wanting to move back east.

Love the K-State hire by the way Klieman is a homerun for them

Stadium Network's Brett McMurphy reports that Miami DC Manny Diaz "has emerged as a top candidate" for the open head-coaching position at Temple.

We have had a few pieces of news swirling around the open job at Temple on Wednesday. For starters, both Texas A&M DC Mike Elko and Michigan DC Don Brown have interviewed for the job, though Elko is expected to stick with the Aggies. It's easy enough to read into Temple's approach with their coaching search, as they're clearly looking for a defensive mind, here. While Miami turned in a disappointing showing for the 2018 campaign, Diaz's unit was one of the best in the country, finishing the season with the 15th-best scoring defense in allowing 18.2 points per game.
I wonder if Manny still hides under the desk at nut cutting time?

I just don’t see why he’d go to Temple. It’s a dead end job in terms of continued success in a program even most in Philly ignore.

As a transition position- is it really a better stepping stone to a better job than being DC for Michigan? I’d think being the D coach at Michigan would open just as many doors for head coaching positions as going to Temple and floundering around for a few years.

well it looks like its Manny....
Manny Diaz will be the next head coach at Temple, sources told FootballScoop on Wednesday. Pete Thamel first reported the news.

In his third year as Miami’s defensive coordinator, Diaz fits the profile of recent Owls head coaches, as Al Golden, Steve Addazio, Matt Rhule and Geoff Collins were all first-time head coaches when they arrived in Philadelphia.

Golden--Miami
Addazio--Boston College
Rhule-Baylor
Collins--Georgia Tech
Step into reality, dude.

I just don’t see why he’d go to Temple. It’s a dead end job in terms of continued success in a program even most in Philly ignore.

As a transition position- is it really a better stepping stone to a better job than being DC for Michigan? I’d think being the D coach at Michigan would open just as many doors for head coaching positions as going to Temple and floundering around for a few years.

Floundering around? Matt Rhule won a conference championship and saw the school host college game day. Collins won a bowl and contended for a very strong division this year. Both coaches made a ton of money after BECAUSE of their success at TU. Wtf are you talking about?

agreed ... he would have been my first phone call. id wager it would be a job for life at this stage of his career

Floundering around? Matt Rhule won a conference championship and saw the school host college game day. Collins won a bowl and contended for a very strong division this year. Both coaches made a ton of money after BECAUSE of their success at TU. Wtf are you talking about?

People here have no clue what goes on at other schools. Addazio and Golden turned Temple into P5 jobs as well. That's 4 coaches in less than a decade.

Reactions: TforTempleU1

You are seriously bragging about hosting college game day as a big accomplishment? Collins won “a bowl”? Your post shows exactly what I meant.

In any event, the point being that the Michigan Defensive Coordinator already has a high profile position (in a power 5 conference) and doesn’t need to make a stop in North Philly for 2-3 years in order to be considered for high profile head coaching jobs.

People here have no clue what goes on at other schools. Addazio and Golden turned Temple into P5 jobs as well. That's 4 coaches in less than a decade.
Yeah, but how many good P5 coordinators went straight to a P5 head coaching job without having to take a go to a non P5 school first? That's the point.

Let’s all remember Temple kicked PSU’s butt a handful of years ago. I know. I know. The sanctions. But watching that game was painful!

And they took ND to the wire on national TV. That program is only on its way up. Won’t be the next coming but it’s not what it was. It’s a good job. So’s DC at UM (both of them.)

Yeah, but how many good P5 coordinators went straight to a P5 head coaching job without having to take a go to a non P5 school first? That's the point.

A bunch but most have a stepping stone job. Brown isn't on that level that level at 63 with the UMass past. He knows he's not getting P5 offers. He apparently couldn't get this job either. If Brown leaves for another DC or even a low-level HC not on the east coast I'll truly believe it was about Harbaugh. Otherwise it's just a guy looking to be close to home that wants to be a HC.

I like Herm and hope he does well.

Mack at NC, IMO, is a joke. He was fully responsible for the demise of Texas.

Gruden, both of them, are highly over rated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT