ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan asks victims of sexual assault to come forward day after criminal investigation ended

Michigan buried this because two years ago was the height of the Nassar frenzy and Nassar went to school at UM and learned under this guy. They wanted to protect their brand and hide this.

No hiding now. Guy sexually abused players for over THREE decades

Reactions: PSUPride1
Michigan buried this because two years ago was the height of the Nassar frenzy and Nassar went to school at UM and learned under this guy. They wanted to protect their brand and hide this.

No hiding now. Guy sexually abused players for over THREE decades
There are no winners here. Glass house syndrome should be broken but it is clearly not.

There are no winners here. Glass house syndrome should be broken but it is clearly not.
I’ve seen these in schools, charities, and businesses . It seems the worst when schools are involved due to fans. It’s strange, almost all those associated with school have no part in things.

I am for more noise, more media pressure, and holding anyone who helped cover up crimes accountable legally. In my view, that is the only chance of preventing future victims.

When people either don't care or feel powerless to affect change, that can only embolden those who wish to do harm to others. So I am fine with shattering all houses. In my view, many will lose big in the future if we allow houses of crime to stand.

Jesus, this is sick stuff. The equivalent of "wear swim trunks". Continued to be employed by UM for the next 14 years.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2018/01/university_of_michigan_doctor_2.html

ANN ARBOR, MI - A University of Michigan doctor has lost his medical license and his job as the state investigates claims he was intimate with a patient while at work, according to an administrative complaint filed by the state.

Attorney General Bill Schuette filed the complaint in late December against Dr. Mark F. Hoeltzel, who had worked in UM's Pediatric Rheumatology Clinic in Ann Arbor.

The complaint also alleges that in 2004, Hoeltzel exchanged emails and online messages with an 11-year-old patient he met at a UM Arthritis Camp where he was serving as a doctor.

The two exchanged messages from 2004 to 2006. Some of Hoeltzel's messages were "flirtatious and suggestive," the complaint states. The girl's mother reported the messages to the Arthritis Foundation that was responsible for the camp, leading to a meeting between UM and the foundation in which the conduct was addressed with Hoeltzel, the complaint states.

Hoeltzel admitted some of the messages were flirtatious and constituted "a major lapse in professional judgment," the complaint states. As a result, UM required Hoeltzel to undergo a "boundaries course."

Hoeltzel graduated from UM Medical School in 2001.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Jesus, this is sick stuff. The equivalent of "wear swim trunks". Continued to be employed by UM for the next 14 years.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2018/01/university_of_michigan_doctor_2.html

ANN ARBOR, MI - A University of Michigan doctor has lost his medical license and his job as the state investigates claims he was intimate with a patient while at work, according to an administrative complaint filed by the state.

Attorney General Bill Schuette filed the complaint in late December against Dr. Mark F. Hoeltzel, who had worked in UM's Pediatric Rheumatology Clinic in Ann Arbor.

The complaint also alleges that in 2004, Hoeltzel exchanged emails and online messages with an 11-year-old patient he met at a UM Arthritis Camp where he was serving as a doctor.

The two exchanged messages from 2004 to 2006. Some of Hoeltzel's messages were "flirtatious and suggestive," the complaint states. The girl's mother reported the messages to the Arthritis Foundation that was responsible for the camp, leading to a meeting between UM and the foundation in which the conduct was addressed with Hoeltzel, the complaint states.

Hoeltzel admitted some of the messages were flirtatious and constituted "a major lapse in professional judgment," the complaint states. As a result, UM required Hoeltzel to undergo a "boundaries course."

Hoeltzel graduated from UM Medical School in 2001.

Pretty pervasive.

A "boundaries course"?? He actually has to be taught what's acceptable? Ann Arbor. Where they must have a need for that type of course since one exists.

Sounds like he is a product of his environment. Video is embedded in the link. Sounds like something Bo taught him. "Only male doctors allowed to penetrate our players for rectal exams. " "Put the index finger right on the ass hole."

https://deadspin.com/find-the-asshole-thats-where-that-knuckle-goes-a-yo-5978007/amp

The two-minute video clip above is taken from a much longer video, in which Jim Harbaugh imparts his wisdom of the quarterback position on an assembly of quarterback coaches. The entire video is over an hour long, but we've cut it down to the most entertaining portion for the sake of your amusement.

Right on the center's ass hole. That's where Jim Harbaugh says the quarterback should put the knuckle of his pointer finger before the snap. He says this repeatedly, as if there isn't a more common thing a person could say. I like cats, but I'm really more of a dog person. A good quarterback should put the knuckle of his index finger right on the center's ass hole.

Last edited:

ERZ5aztWsAAKh5H

So, yeah, all Michigan football players were subjected to rectal exams at the hands of Dr. Anderson. Wonder how many fingers Desmond Howard asked for.

Last edited:
Sounds like he is a product of his environment. Video is embedded in the link. Sounds like something Bo taught him. "Only male doctors allowed to penetrate our players for rectal exams. " "Put the index finger right on the ass hole."

https://deadspin.com/find-the-asshole-thats-where-that-knuckle-goes-a-yo-5978007/amp

The two-minute video clip above is taken from a much longer video, in which Jim Harbaugh imparts his wisdom of the quarterback position on an assembly of quarterback coaches. The entire video is over an hour long, but we've cut it down to the most entertaining portion for the sake of your amusement.

Right on the center's ass hole. That's where Jim Harbaugh says the quarterback should put the knuckle of his pointer finger before the snap. He says this repeatedly, as if there isn't a more common thing a person could say. I like cats, but I'm really more of a dog person. A good quarterback should put the knuckle of his index finger right on the center's ass hole.

Holy shit.

I am for more noise, more media pressure, and holding anyone who helped cover up crimes accountable legally. In my view, that is the only chance of preventing future victims.

When people either don't care or feel powerless to affect change, that can only embolden those who wish to do harm to others. So I am fine with shattering all houses. In my view, many will lose big in the future if we allow houses of crime to stand.
It all needs to be exposed sadly. Victims need to stop being crucified.....don't tell me. I just fine, it's odd that you have a handful of schools of what should be intelligent people saying "look at how bad they are" that completely miss the point due to their own little personal insecurities over a place they went to school. They're are no winners in any of this....everyone lost everywhere. I get why PSU alums get upset but my god....see the bigger picture. There are no victory laps, yet you see people pointing fingers or doing some hollow victory lap. Sorry....it's odd to me. You see people of all schools saying well....we didn't do XXXXX. The doctors, coaches, and sick MF's did this. Not any school, alumni, or anyone else.

I know I'm the minority on this site with this and my views on Jerry being a POS....but that is just me. Good and bad people go to all schools...live in all regions of this country in all walks of life. The sick f--ks in everyone of these cases not only hurt the victims, but others attached to each school that were decent people. It's nothing to laugh or brag about when one out does the other....that is just odd to me. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Sucks for the Ohio state fans that said " If this sort of thing was to happen at Osu I'd switch to a different team". You know the five fans that actually did it started following Michigan.

Nassar victim slams University of Michigan for 'choosing corruption' in response to 'Doctor Drop Your Drawers' case
iu

The first woman to accuse USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University athletic doctor Larry Nassar publicly of sexual abuse is now slamming the University of Michigan for "choosing corruption" in its handling of late "Doctor ‘Drop Your Drawers’" case.

“They had the choice 19 months ago to do the right thing and become leaders,” former gymnast Rachael Denhollander said Saturday in an interview with The Associated Press. “They chose corruption — again — and they put the survivors in a place where they had no choice but to speak publicly.”

“Instead of immediately pursuing transparency, and saying `How could this happen on our watch? We are going to make sure this never happens again,’ they kept it quiet and buried it,” Denhollander continued in her telephone interview. “They forced the survivors to have to speak publicly to get anything to happen. That’s despicable. It’s re-victimizing and re-violating.”

The Detroit News started reporting on the allegations before the university announced its investigation. Records obtained by the AP revealed University of Michigan officials were warned more than four decades ago that Anderson was fondling patients during medical exams. He continued working there despite the demotion and went on to allegedly abuse again as a physician with the school’s athletic department.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaTruth Farreal
University of Michigan knew about this for decades and covered it up.

iu

Olympic wrestler says former University of Michigan doctor touched him inappropriately

Accusations against Robert Anderson mount

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – After sexual misconduct allegations against a now-deceased University of Michigan doctor came to light recently, the school has been flooded with calls from people saying they were abused by him.

Robert E. Anderson, was a former director of University Health Service and a former athletic team physician. He worked at the school from 1968 until his retirement in 2003. He died in 2008.

Documents reveal that university officials allegedly knew that Anderson was fondling patients more than four decades ago, yet the doctor continued to practice.

“My teammates were like, 'Oh, when you go see Doc A, he’s going to, no matter what happens, you go in there, he’s going to make you take your pants off and he’s going to fondle you. The physical touch is very brief, but the mental component of it lasts for a long time,” Hrovat said.

A University spokesperson said the University received 22 calls on Wednesday alone after creating a hotline to report cases of alleged sexual abuse with Anderson.

“That’s not even the tip of iceberg -- that’s just the snow falling on top of the iceberg, and it’s going to come out and it’s going to be hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people," he said.

Bo Schembechler was also the AD at Michigan for a number of these years...

University of Michigan was warned of head doctor’s sexual abuse in the ’80s, records show. He continued to work on campus, including with football team.

iu

University of Michigan officials were warned more than four decades ago that one of its doctors was fondling patients during medical exams, but he continued working there despite a demotion and went on to allegedly abuse again as a physician with the school's athletic department, records obtained Friday by The Associated Press show.

When the detective told Tom Easthope, a former university administrator who oversaw Anderson's department, that he was investigating “inappropriate behavior” by Anderson, Easthope replied, “I bet there are over 100 people that could be on that list,” according to the records.

3SA74TNEXBD6LK2YMLFR7AXOCE.jpg

Dr. Robert E. Anderson in an undated photo provided by the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan. (Robert Kalmbach/Bentley Historical Library)

Easthope told the detective that he had confronted Anderson about “fooling around in the exam rooms with the boy patients” and told the doctor, “You gotta go." He said the doctor didn't deny the allegations against him. By 1980, at least two students had made complaints to Michigan officials about Anderson inappropriately touching them, according to interviews and records.

When the detective informed Easthope that Anderson had continued working on campus, including with Michigan's football program, up until 2003, Easthope became “visibly shaken” and added that “he was sure that he had left the university.”

When is the vote to expel um from the b1g? Will it be at the same time as the votes to expel Tosu and msu?

Reactions: MacNit07
Lack of institutional control...Harbaugh probably instructed the opera singer on where to place his index finger on the male students. RIGHT ON THE ASS HOLE.

U-M officials knew about sexual misconduct allegations, but didn't act in 3 incidents

7cbb34cf-92e6-45e6-b1d4-556c8e81e532-U-M_logo.jpg_1_1_OC9FVI8C_L537883171.JPG

University of Michigan logo. (Photo: University of Michigan)

Faculty members at the University of Michigan raised concerns during the hiring process of a noted opera singer in 2015, going so far as to wonder who was going to tell him to keep his hands off male students, according to depositions included in court filings.

The previously unreported depositions, included in a mid-January lawsuit filing in U.S. District Court in Detroit, detail how faculty raised issues as singer David Daniels was being brought to Ann Arbor. Years after his hiring, an internal U-M investigation found in 2018 that Daniels had sexually harassed more than 20 students, including offering to pay them for sex. Daniels has denied the allegations.He also is facing criminal charges in Texas for alleged behavior that occurred before his stint at U-M.

"The harm Daniels caused was entirely predictable and preventable," attorney Deborah Gordon wrote in federal court pleadings. Gordon is representing former U-M student Andrew Lipian who alleges he was sexually assaulted by Daniels while at U-M and is suing the school.

Daniels is at least the third case to come to light in recent weeks where U-M administrators are accused of knowing about patterns of sexual misconduct and harassment by employees who regularly interacted with students, but kept them on the payroll and even promoted them.

Also recently, U-M Provost Martin Philbert was accused of sexual misconduct and harassing women during his long career at U-M. The university promoted him from faculty member to assistant dean to dean to provost,the top academic officer at the school.

Former U-M Provost Phil Hanlon said the university was aware of complaints early in Philbert's tenure, but has said an independent probe cleared Philbert in the early 2000s. Since January when U-M suspended Philbert, more than two dozen women have come forward to accuse him of sexual misconduct and harassment, including several who say this happened after the long-ago investigation.

Last edited:
Claims of UM doctor's sexual misconduct mirror Ohio State case
Kantele Franko and Larry Lage, Associated Press
iu

Ann Arbor — When the University of Michigan announced last week that allegations of decades-old sexual misconduct by a sports doctor were under investigation, former wrestler Mike DiSabato was stunned by the parallels to an abuse scandal at his alma mater, Ohio State.

The accusations by several people against Dr. Robert E. Anderson at Michigan immediately called to mind claims DiSabato and hundreds of other men made about Dr. Richard Strauss at Ohio State. The two cases had striking similarities. Two physicians, both dead for years, are now accused of using their positions to abuse male athletes and students.

Former patients said they made coaches or other officials aware of concerns decades ago and got nowhere. Investigators said both men came under scrutiny by state regulators in the mid-1990s, but the cases were closed.

Rachael Denhollander, the first woman to publicly accuse Nassar of sexual abuse, told the AP that University of Michigan leaders should not follow Michigan State’s lead and should commit to a “truly independent review,” the findings of which would be made public. She said she’s dismayed, though, by how Michigan officials have handled things so far.

“The scary thing and the horrifying thing about these situations is that it’s always the same set of circumstances. It’s always people in authority who care more about reputation, who care more about some outside set of goals than they care about people, covering up reports of abuse,” Denhollander said.

Michigan State’s mishandling of the Nassar complaints led to a $4.5 million federal fine in September and a statement by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos that such behavior “must not happen again, there or anywhere else.”

DeVos’ department also is investigating whether Ohio State handled reports about Strauss appropriately. The agency would not confirm Friday whether it has any investigation related to Michigan and Anderson.

Reactions: DaTruth Farreal
Claims of UM doctor's sexual misconduct mirror Ohio State case
Kantele Franko and Larry Lage, Associated Press
iu

Ann Arbor — When the University of Michigan announced last week that allegations of decades-old sexual misconduct by a sports doctor were under investigation, former wrestler Mike DiSabato was stunned by the parallels to an abuse scandal at his alma mater, Ohio State.

The accusations by several people against Dr. Robert E. Anderson at Michigan immediately called to mind claims DiSabato and hundreds of other men made about Dr. Richard Strauss at Ohio State. The two cases had striking similarities. Two physicians, both dead for years, are now accused of using their positions to abuse male athletes and students.

Former patients said they made coaches or other officials aware of concerns decades ago and got nowhere. Investigators said both men came under scrutiny by state regulators in the mid-1990s, but the cases were closed.

Rachael Denhollander, the first woman to publicly accuse Nassar of sexual abuse, told the AP that University of Michigan leaders should not follow Michigan State’s lead and should commit to a “truly independent review,” the findings of which would be made public. She said she’s dismayed, though, by how Michigan officials have handled things so far.

“The scary thing and the horrifying thing about these situations is that it’s always the same set of circumstances. It’s always people in authority who care more about reputation, who care more about some outside set of goals than they care about people, covering up reports of abuse,” Denhollander said.

Michigan State’s mishandling of the Nassar complaints led to a $4.5 million federal fine in September and a statement by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos that such behavior “must not happen again, there or anywhere else.”

DeVos’ department also is investigating whether Ohio State handled reports about Strauss appropriately. The agency would not confirm Friday whether it has any investigation related to Michigan and Anderson.

Sick rivalry.

I'm sorry. I just can't fathom no one going to jail from Michigan and Ohio State. They actively had quite a few administrators, coaches, and ADs knowing of sexual assaults over decades and allowing the perps to repeatedly assault more and more students.

One person doing the right thing could have prevented potentially hundreds more sexual assaults. And yet every single one of these criminals kept the sexual abuse under wraps. It is beyond disgusting to think that not one, not two, but probably dozens of administrators, coaches, and ADs with direct knowledge of sexual assault all got in line to protect the perps for decades. A number of Buckeyes and Michigan Men need to go to jail for life.

Victims turn to media to expose sex abuse by college doctors
By TAMMY WEBBER and KATHLEEN FOODY

iu

Robert Julian Stone was tired of waiting, afraid that complaints of sexual abuse at the hands of a former University of Michigan doctor would be covered up.

So five months after contacting the university to report that he’d been assaulted during a 1971 medical exam — and after learning there were more alleged victims — the 69-year-old Stone turned to The Detroit News.

Stone said he emailed two university officials in August 2019 to report that Anderson assaulted him during a 1971 medical exam. He said Anderson had exposed himself and used Stone’s hand to fondle himself. Stone said he did not report it at the time.

He said he decided to contact the newspaper in January because he began to feel “stonewalled” by the university as he tried to get a copy of his case file. He said a university official told him he couldn’t have it because a broader investigation involving more victims wasn’t finished.

Stone feared the university and the prosecutor could keep the case open indefinitely, and no one would ever know about the allegations, said Detroit News Editor Gary Miles. After preliminary interviews with Stone, Miles said, the newspaper “put our reporter on a plane to meet with him” at his Palm Springs, California, home.

“We had the sense ... that this could be much bigger than just him. But without people coming forward, how would you know there were other victims?” said Miles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT