ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan asks victims of sexual assault to come forward day after criminal investigation ended

I wonder what Mushmouf’s twitter feed is going to look like in the next few days. Probably still trading in on his almost 30 year old faded glory or tweeting about Tostitos or shoes.

He’s got this people because he’s the moral center of ESPN College Gameday

Funny how the story comes out the same day after Michigan and the press there sat on it for 2 years. Disgusting. They shouldn’t be allowed to field a team. Shut it all down #BoKnew

I noticed there was a twitter post from a law firm asking victims to come to them for legal help. Like Andrew Shubin, who seemed to re-create his whole law business model around Sandusky victims, these lawyers find an opening and jump on it. The volume creates the business mindset by the accused to settle with an NDA, rather than fight each one. Fine if the only people who come out ahead are the actual victims; not so much if non-vics and law firms who care only about making a killing on it come out way ahead, too.

It could be potentially be Sandusky-PSU all over again, BUT the saving grace is that it seems as though there are real, live victims here who had already come forward, so no one will have to be squirreled away in a remote cabin to keep them quiet and unlock suppressed memories until they can collect the money and pay the attorney fees.

Sounds like the prosecutor's office was in on the coverup too....

The allegations against Anderson became public Wednesday when The News published a story detailing Stone's account of the alleged assault by the doctor and numerous emails he exchanged with UM officials.

Stone reported his allegations to the university in August, and followed up Jan. 3, asking for his report.

Jesse Johnson, UM police records and evidence manager, told Stone he wouldn't get the report because it was under review by prosecutors, adding that the report is "extremely large and documents many other victims, and any release will have to be heavily redacted."

"That report could not be released until the Prosecutor's Office has completed its review," Johnson told Stone in an email.

Stone told the News one of the reasons he came forward was that he learned there were other alleged victims and he feared that the university and the prosecutor could keep the case open indefinitely, and no one would ever know about the allegations against Anderson.

"I want to reach out to all of the other men who were assaulted by this doctor and I want them to step forward, because we're stronger together," Stone said. "Only if they step forward in a public way can we guarantee the integrity of the case file."

On Wednesday, after Stone's story was published online, he said he got a call from UM police Detective Mark West.

Stone said West told him he did the right thing by contacting the media because it "forced the hand" of the prosecutor's office, and accusers needed an update.

"He said I was right in my assumptions that they were just sitting on it and not doing anything,"
Stone said. "They are now doing something. That can't undo what happened to me and the other men, so they have to have some sort of face-saving modus operandi in order to make themselves like they are doing something. That's what they have to do and it's what they should do."

Funny how the story comes out the same day after Michigan and the press there sat on it for 2 years. Disgusting. They shouldn’t be allowed to field a team. Shut it all down #BoKnew

e9BfOlu3mNtCDoD_Ll-6uUMxkL_z0Ufv7yvNPUtlQaM9Q0MJJFqLAY_xnMWTHI26glYepkMn1s59gCVrxLOrDdLoOWr7ONVGkVeCflrhXCAV2a2LcktAtDMhWmBHpcpRgX71wuZUBN486uI87nGyGQ

Sounds like the prosecutor's office was in on the coverup too....

The allegations against Anderson became public Wednesday when The News published a story detailing Stone's account of the alleged assault by the doctor and numerous emails he exchanged with UM officials.

Stone reported his allegations to the university in August, and followed up Jan. 3, asking for his report.

Jesse Johnson, UM police records and evidence manager, told Stone he wouldn't get the report because it was under review by prosecutors, adding that the report is "extremely large and documents many other victims, and any release will have to be heavily redacted."

"That report could not be released until the Prosecutor's Office has completed its review," Johnson told Stone in an email.

Stone told the News one of the reasons he came forward was that he learned there were other alleged victims and he feared that the university and the prosecutor could keep the case open indefinitely, and no one would ever know about the allegations against Anderson.

"I want to reach out to all of the other men who were assaulted by this doctor and I want them to step forward, because we're stronger together," Stone said. "Only if they step forward in a public way can we guarantee the integrity of the case file."

On Wednesday, after Stone's story was published online, he said he got a call from UM police Detective Mark West.

Stone said West told him he did the right thing by contacting the media because it "forced the hand" of the prosecutor's office, and accusers needed an update.

"He said I was right in my assumptions that they were just sitting on it and not doing anything,"
Stone said. "They are now doing something. That can't undo what happened to me and the other men, so they have to have some sort of face-saving modus operandi in order to make themselves like they are doing something. That's what they have to do and it's what they should do."
Not a legal eagle.....but wouldn't there by a statute of limitations on these alleged crimes? I would assume these charges would end up in civil litigation? Honest question, if the alleged perpetrator is dead and crimes occurred decades ago, would there be possible criminal proceedings?

Not a legal eagle.....but wouldn't there by a statute of limitations on these alleged crimes? I would assume these charges would end up in civil litigation? Honest question, if the alleged perpetrator is dead and crimes occurred decades ago, would there be possible criminal proceedings?

Im not sure exactly how it works in Michigan, but in my state, they just released the statue of limitations for a 2 year period in an effort to get victims of past abuse to come forward. It does appear that states and jurisdictions are trying to be proactive around child sexual abuse. One of the most frustrating elements of this entire Sandusky affair is that everyone in the country just pointed their fingers as Penn State and said "look at those weirdos." There are millions of pedophiles among us in all walks of life.

Just like jamelle hill, desmond howard will have nothing to say. The hypocrites won't give us any ammunition. And the thought that they are like PSU, or that PSU was not abnormal, disgusts them.

They are better than us. Period. They're michigan, we're Penn State.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Totally on brand that Brian and mgoblog have been completely silent on all of this. No articles on their front page. No mention on their podcast. Disgusting culture that puts their athletics above morality and doesn't care at all about all of the victims of "Dr. Handerson" and his "rectal examinations" of football players and others.

iu

Ann Arbor — An Olympic wrestler on Thursday accused a University of Michigan doctor of touching him inappropriately during medical exams at the school and said the physician’s reputation for such conduct was well known among his teammates.

Andy Hrovat, who competed for the U.S. in the 2008 Summer Olympics, told the Associated Press that the encounters with the late Dr. Robert E. Anderson happened during his freshman year in 1998.

“I would like to let people know that it’s OK to come out,” Hrovat said in an interview from his attorney’s office in Denver. “It’s OK to let your voice be heard.”

Hrovat is the first athlete to make public accusations against Anderson following complaints this week from at least six other people that the doctor sexually abused them decades ago.

The Detroit News first reported Wednesday that UM was investigating claims of sexual abuse by Anderson, a former director of the University Health Service who also spent years as a top physician for football teams by former coaches Bo Schembechler and Lloyd Carr. The university, The News reported, was alerted to the allegations against Anderson in July 2018.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...r-adds-abuse-allegations-um-doctor/111339196/

Jimmyisgod
February 21st, 2020 at 8:47 AM ^

They've already said they knew 19 months ago. Only reason the public knows right now is a victim went to the Detroit News. Guy had accusations 30 years before he retired. He worked for 30 years and had accusations from the start, to very late in his career. The fact we sat on this information for 19 months and the only reason we know now is because a victim went to the media is proof that we should not try to handle anything in regards to this internally right now. There is no containing this, doing the things now you should have done 19 months ago is the best path forward.

Michigan has set up a "hotline" for victims of Dr. Handerson.

For the love of God, if you have been wronged by somebody, particularly a person or company with deep pockets, DO NOT freely discuss the details of your case with one of their representatives.

This is a tactic used heavily by insurance companies and other big businesses with catastrophic consequences for injured claimants. The representatives are master persuaders - they hammer down on certain principles that are designed to get you to loosen up and side-step your normal rational decision-making processes. Their goal is to get you to slip up and say things that undermine your case or can be used to attack your credibility later on, to sign broad releases and waivers relating to medical records and confidentiality, and most importantly to keep you from taking your story to the press where unimaginable damage can be done to the firm’s image

Manly urged the university to ensure that alleged victims have a neutral third party, either law enforcement or a counseling service, to call to discuss what happened to them. He said he is concerned that the school has asked people to reach out directly through the hotline.

“My experience has been that’s much more about liability protection than helping the victims,” Manly said. “It’s really important that one of America’s greatest universities act like it and treat these people not as adversaries but as people that are injured and that deserve support. My fear is that’s not happening.”

Ann Arbor — An Olympic wrestler on Thursday accused a University of Michigan doctor of touching him inappropriately during medical exams at the school and said the physician’s reputation for such conduct was well known among his teammates.

Andy Hrovat, who competed for the U.S. in the 2008 Summer Olympics, told the Associated Press that the encounters with the late Dr. Robert E. Anderson happened during his freshman year in 1998.

“I would like to let people know that it’s OK to come out,” Hrovat said in an interview from his attorney’s office in Denver. “It’s OK to let your voice be heard.”

Hrovat is the first athlete to make public accusations against Anderson following complaints this week from at least six other people that the doctor sexually abused them decades ago.

The Detroit News first reported Wednesday that UM was investigating claims of sexual abuse by Anderson, a former director of the University Health Service who also spent years as a top physician for football teams by former coaches Bo Schembechler and Lloyd Carr. The university, The News reported, was alerted to the allegations against Anderson in July 2018.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...r-adds-abuse-allegations-um-doctor/111339196/

Jimmyisgod
February 21st, 2020 at 8:47 AM ^

They've already said they knew 19 months ago. Only reason the public knows right now is a victim went to the Detroit News. Guy had accusations 30 years before he retired. He worked for 30 years and had accusations from the start, to very late in his career. The fact we sat on this information for 19 months and the only reason we know now is because a victim went to the media is proof that we should not try to handle anything in regards to this internally right now. There is no containing this, doing the things now you should have done 19 months ago is the best path forward.
Pandora's Box has opened for business.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/4817480002

"It is our understanding from the police investigation that there were rumors and some indication that UM staff members were aware of Dr. Anderson’s inappropriate medical exams,” he said.

"I wish my story were a little different from Stone's, but it’s not," said Bailey. "He (the doctor) had me drop my pants, he felt my penis and genitals and subsequently, he wanted me to feel his penis and genitals. I can to this day remember what his penis looked like."

Bailey's description of Anderson's penis was the same as Stone's.

Bailey said the doctor also wanted him to masturbate him.

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN SEXUAL ABUSE LAWSUIT

In July 2018, University of Michigan officials were first alerted to a past instance of alleged sexual misconduct by former university physician Dr. Robert E. Anderson. Since then, several former patients have come out with similar accounts of sexual abuse by the late athletic doctor and director of University Health Service. Both the university and outside authorities are now investigating claims alleging abuse, unnecessary exams, and other misconduct.

If you or a loved one is a survivor of sexual abuse by Dr. Anderson, please contact the law offices of Estey & Bomberger, LLP to discuss your case. We want to help you find justice in this trying time.

DR. ROBERT E. ANDERSON HAD A HISTORY OF ABUSE DATING BACK DECADES
Recent accounts have shed light on a history of sexual misconduct and abuse dating back to the early 1970s. As director of University Health Service, Dr. Anderson allegedly conducted inappropriate medical examinations that included molestation, groping, and exposure of his own genitals to patients.

Additionally, when Dr. Anderson became the athletic team physician at the University of Michigan, multiple athletes were allegedly subjected to “routine” rectal examinations that he deemed were “medically necessary.”

THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE
Although Dr. Anderson passed away in 2008, other parties may be liable for enabling his despicable actions or otherwise failing to notify the proper authorities of these abuses. The University of Michigan and any other involved officials deserve to be held accountable for the actions of Dr. Anderson during his tenure.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I bet you at least a few of them went to their coaches though. Lloyd Carr and Bo knew. The football players called Anderson "Dr. Handerson", so did Harbaugh the player know about this as well?

An Olympic wrestler on Thursday accused a University of Michigan doctor of touching him inappropriately during medical exams at the school and said the physician’s reputation for such conduct was well known among his teammates.

John Manly (great name), a lawyer for many of the hundred of victims of now-imprisoned former Michigan State University sports doctor Larry Nassar, said Thursday that half a dozen people have called his California-based firm alleging abuse by Anderson, mostly ex-football players and wrestlers. He said they were fearful of what could happen to their positions on teams or at the school if they reported what he did to them.

“Most didn’t speak up because they were concerned he wouldn’t clear them to play. And if you’re not cleared by the doctor, you lose your athletic scholarship. He had tremendous control. These at the time boys and young men were subjected to this stuff knowing that if they said anything, they were fearful he would retaliate.”

Honest question, when does the national media, namely ESPIn pick this up. We get top billing anytime something even slightly negative happens?

And to think that um athletic supporters are more interested in finishing third in the b1g east than the victims.

“Most didn’t speak up because they were concerned he wouldn’t clear them to play. And if you’re not cleared by the doctor, you lose your athletic scholarship. He had tremendous control. These at the time boys and young men were subjected to this stuff knowing that if they said anything, they were fearful he would retaliate.”

Hey, @marshall23: So when Strauss was abusing those OSU wrestlers, are you SURE he was not holding their very future over their heads like this?

Hey, @marshall23: So when Strauss was abusing those OSU wrestlers, are you SURE he was not holding their very future over their heads like this?
The only thing Ohio State fans care about is that it in no way impacts football. They tangentially care some about wrestling, basketball, whatever. They just want to paint themselves up and wear clown suits to watch their football team beat Rutgres like an assistant coach's wife.

Reactions: odshowtime
How come um hasn’t renamed schembechler hall? If there is no one from um of honor to rename it after, just call it Third Place Hall.

Just a quick question, when does the national media pick this up, specifically, ESPIN? I mean, if we have a an old bag boy that says he got a sideways look it gets top billing on ESPIN.

Reactions: odshowtime
ADVERTISEMENT