ADVERTISEMENT

Micah Parsons

is this the game we finally let Parsons get after the QB. It's time to release the kraken
Brent Pry does not blitz from the LB position. His blitzes come from the Star, or the Strong safety, and they never get home anyway.

You won't see any blitzing from PSU on Saturday night, and you shouldn't because every time this defense does anything other than base, it's lost and confused.

Brent Pry does not blitz from the LB position. His blitzes come from the Star, or the Strong safety, and they never get home anyway.

You won't see any blitzing from PSU on Saturday night, and you shouldn't because every time this defense does anything other than base, it's lost and confused.

The real question is whether you can bench-press Parsons.

Also, do you see Franklin at University Park Airport?

Reactions: mn78psu83
th

Or this.

latest

You still just make things up, it's crazy. He blitzes from all 3 LB spots, CB, in addition to the safties. Haley had more sacks then the safties did the last few years.

Why you probably won't see a ton of blitzing this weekend is Haskins has been doing a ton of 3 step drops and short passes. If PSU does manage to slow the run somehow and get him in 3rd and long, you can expect him to send some heat. His passing chart is littered with passes under 10 yards.

You still just make things up, it's crazy. He blitzes from all 3 LB spots, CB, in addition to the safties. Haley had more sacks then the safties did the last few years.

Why you probably won't see a ton of blitzing this weekend is Haskins has been doing a ton of 3 step drops and short passes. If PSU does manage to slow the run somehow and get him in 3rd and long, you can expect him to send some heat. His passing chart is littered with passes under 10 yards.

Yea, I would take my chances with mixing up coverage and dropping seven most of the time. Force Haskins to always make the right decision. Maybe bring some heat in third and long situations. We have supposedly recruited top pass rushing D ends, its time they showed up big time for a game. I would rather see Parsons have a great game stuffing the run.

Yea, I would take my chances with mixing up coverage and dropping seven most of the time. Force Haskins to always make the right decision. Maybe bring some heat in third and long situations. We have supposedly recruited top pass rushing D ends, its time they showed up big time for a game. I would rather see Parsons have a great game stuffing the run.
The thing is, if you don't don't slow Dobbins and Weber (if really healthy) down early....rushing the QB is out of play and you are in for a very long night on defense. OSU is in the same boat with Trace and Sanders running the ball.

The thing is, if you don't don't slow Dobbins and Weber (if really healthy) down early....rushing the QB is out of play and you are in for a very long night on defense. OSU is in the same boat with Trace and Sanders running the ball.

Agree, if they run the ball up and down the field at will, Haskins will have receivers wide open all over the field using play action. I really believe our offense needs to help out the defense with a ball control attack. Run, short passes, field possession, use the punter as a weapon. If we can hang in the game till the fourth Quarter, I like our chances with Trace.

Agree, if they run the ball up and down the field at will, Haskins will have receivers wide open all over the field using play action. I really believe our offense needs to help out the defense with a ball control attack. Run, short passes, field possession, use the punter as a weapon. If we can hang in the game till the fourth Quarter, I like our chances with Trace.
A few early stops by the young D would energize everyone, so I'm hoping the whiteout crowd has the defense firing very early on. That hasn't been the case yet, but one can hope. ;)

Reactions: m48tank

I'm pretty sure I've seen both Cam and Koa blitz this year.
And I know Cabinda and I know Brandon Bell did it a lot and was very good at it.
We could use a Cabinda or Bell right now.

Penn State is good enough to play the kind of game they’re comfortable playing and beat Ohio State. I don’t really see a need to dramatically change the general game management strategy we’ve used with great success over the past ~2.5 years. The only times we’ve tried to go with a buttoned up, conservative game plan, we’ve gotten beat - see USC 2016, OSU 2017.

Leopard and spots.

Once a self-proclaimed genius, always a self- proclaimed genius.

Same rule applies to douche bags.

FWIW, checked notes from last years PSU-OSU game:

1st Half: OSU 39 offensive snaps
PSU Blitz 14 times - 5 times from the slot, 3 times LBers off the edge, 4 times LBers through the middle, 2 Safeties blitzing from second level

2nd Half: OSU 37 offensive snaps
PSU Blitz 15 times - 8 times LBer off the edge, 7 times LBer through the middle

Total of 4 times when PSU brought TWO extra guys - twice they "zone-blitzed" (dropped a DE into coverage) twice they went full man defense on the back end.

29 Blitzes in 76 snaps - 38% of snaps
22 from LBer (2 of those they brought a 2nd LBer, 1 they also brought the Slot Corner, 1 they also brought the Safety)
5 from Slot
2 from Safety.

I would expect - if the game stays "normally" close - that PSU will blitz MORE
this year (though the way the game unfolds will certainly dictate a lot of that)…. not having to be as concerned w Haskins tucking and running after escaping the pocket being a key item there - I expect (not that Haskins is lead-footed.... but he's more of a passer and less of a runner than Barret, for sure)
Don’t expect Gunsie back to admit he’s wrong. Besides, he’s busy stalking Gigi’s waitstaff on their way to the lunch shift.

You won't see blitzes because he doesn't blitz linebackers. They can't play anything but base, anyway because they get lost. Base defense the whole way, and make them go the 80 yards in 12 plays and hope for a mistake, that's the only way.

It took me less than a minute to find Koa Farmer blitzing on the 3rd play from scrimmage by Illinois. LOL :p

I think that rushing different combinations of 4 might be effective. OSUs OL is no great shakes and, in doing so, Penn State might confuse them as well as Haskins without drastically depleting secondary coverage. That being said, Custer might be correct in asserting that the D might not be ready for complex assignments. Screwing up such a scheme might prove costly.

I think that rushing different combinations of 4 might be effective. OSUs OL is no great shakes and, in doing so, Penn State might confuse them as well as Haskins without drastically depleting secondary coverage. That being said, Custer might be correct in asserting that the D might not be ready for complex assignments. Screwing up such a scheme might prove costly.
Correct. You cannot blitz anyone on this defense against Haskins. You have already seen what happens. They don't get home. Hell they don't even get past the first blocker, and they come WAY late.

We have one chance: STAY IN BASE, PLAY FIELD POSITION, MAKE THEM GO 12 PLAYS AND BE PERFECT. Our best hope is that maybe a couple of times, they foul up and we get off the field. This defense doesn't know how to play anything other than base.

Simple question: Would you blitz lb's with this defense against Haskins?
I already said why he won't due to the 3 step drops, did you simply not read that? Unless the down and distance allows it, it's not a good move. It's like Purdue when Brees was there...very hard to get there. Read my first post again, the answer is there and it is clear as day. Honestly you asking this question leads me to believe you didn't read a word I typed.

Penn State has the third-best sack rate in the country on blitzing downs (1st and 18+, 2nd and 14+, 3rd and 3+). When the opponent is absolutely passing, Penn State gets a sack almost 25% of the time.

The issue has been much more on getting sacks on standard downs. The key is just like it always is when you play an offense as good at staying ahead of the chains as Ohio State always is (and what we were able to do in 2016): get them off schedule and into downs and distances where they’re forced to pass. Ohio State has barely run the ball at all on passing downs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT