ADVERTISEMENT

MHKY: B1G Tourney Scenario

NittanyLionFan

Jul 25, 2001
Media, PA
So, PSU has two more weekends of conference play before the B1G tourney. Home ice during the first round of the tourney would be huge... can the Lions get enough points to land in the top 4? If they can do better than 2-2 during the remaining two weekends (with 2-2 seemingly most likely, but no results being that surprising), chances aren't bad (but, I am pretty sure that State would lose a tie breaker to Michigan, which is one scenario... Michigan swept by ND and PSU gets 2 Ws and a SOL). Here are current standings with some projections for each team. Thoughts? If the scenario below happened, Penn State would be heading up to Ann Arbor for the first round (ND gets the 1st round bye). Hopefully the Lions will start with a sweep in East Lansing this weekend and get no worse than a split against Minnesota the following weekend! Go State!

1. Notre Dame 50 (vs/@ Mich, vs MSU) +12 pts = 62 (1)
2. Ohio State 37 (@ Minn, vs Wisc) + 9 pts = 46 (2)
3. Michigan 32 (@/vs ND, vs Non-Con/ASU) + 0 pts = 32 pts (4)
4. Minnesota 29 (vs OSU, @ PSU) + 6 pts = 35 pts (3)
5. Wisconsin 28 (Bye, @ OSU) + 0 pts = 28 (6)
6. Penn State 25 (@ MSU, vs Minn) + 6 pts = 31 (5)
7. Michigan State 15 (vs PSU, @ ND) + 3 pts = 18 (7)

Reactions: Bob78
Don’t forget to factor in that we (and Minnesota) have 4 opportunities for more conference points both Michigan and Wisconsin only have 2 opportunities left and they respectively play the top 2 teams in the conference (Notre Dame and OSU) to end their B1G seasons. Don’t get me wrong - we need to get 9 or 10 of the 12 possible remaining points and get a little help but the odds are not as low as they appear based on standings alone right now since 2 teams ahead of us have tougher schedules and 2 less games and we end the season against a 3rd team ahead of us (Minnesota). It’s still very much in our hands if we can sweep Michigan State (the last place team) this weekend.

QUOTE="NittanyLionFan, post: 3315334, member: 17040"]So, PSU has two more weekends of conference play before the B1G tourney. Home ice during the first round of the tourney would be huge... can the Lions get enough points to land in the top 4? If they can do better than 2-2 during the remaining two weekends (with 2-2 seemingly most likely, but no results being that surprising), chances aren't bad (but, I am pretty sure that State would lose a tie breaker to Michigan, which is one scenario... Michigan swept by ND and PSU gets 2 Ws and a SOL). Here are current standings with some projections for each team. Thoughts? If the scenario below happened, Penn State would be heading up to Ann Arbor for the first round (ND gets the 1st round bye). Hopefully the Lions will start with a sweep in East Lansing this weekend and get no worse than a split against Minnesota the following weekend! Go State!

7. Michigan State 15 (vs PSU, @ ND) + 3 pts = 18 (7)[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget to factor in that we (and Minnesota) have 4 opportunities for more conference points both Michigan and Wisconsin only have 2 opportunities left and they respectively play the top 2 teams in the conference (Notre Dame and OSU) to end their B1G seasons. Don’t get me wrong - we need to get 9 or 10 of the 12 possible remaining points and get a little help but the odds are not as low as they appear based on standings alone right now since 2 teams ahead of us have tougher schedules and 2 less games and we end the season against a 3rd team ahead of us (Minnesota). It’s still very much in our hands if we can sweep Michigan State (the last place team) this weekend.

QUOTE="NittanyLionFan, post: 3315334, member: 17040"]So, PSU has two more weekends of conference play before the B1G tourney. Home ice during the first round of the tourney would be huge... can the Lions get enough points to land in the top 4? If they can do better than 2-2 during the remaining two weekends (with 2-2 seemingly most likely, but no results being that surprising), chances aren't bad (but, I am pretty sure that State would lose a tie breaker to Michigan, which is one scenario... Michigan swept by ND and PSU gets 2 Ws and a SOL). Here are current standings with some projections for each team. Thoughts? If the scenario below happened, Penn State would be heading up to Ann Arbor for the first round (ND gets the 1st round bye). Hopefully the Lions will start with a sweep in East Lansing this weekend and get no worse than a split against Minnesota the following weekend! Go State!

7. Michigan State 15 (vs PSU, @ ND) + 3 pts = 18 (7)
[/QUOTE]
Great post! My hope is that my Gophers are truly starting to get hot and that they build off of last weekend and make this coming weekend (senior weekend) a great one. We could really use a sweep here. If that happens, I'd be more than okay with a split vs PSU. Anything can happen next weekend including being swept by PSU. I don't see a sweep the other way. Senior weekend at Pegula will be tough.
Good luck this weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT