ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer Shapiro to Cornell

While it sucks anytime we miss out on high-level recruits, having some of these kids on other teams is what makes this so much f*n!

Every year, we have a couple of duals, individual matches, and storylines that keep us on the edge of our seats. This is what is exciting! Not to take anything away from Kizhan Clarke, but I was a lot more excited about RBY/Fix than I was Lee/Clark! I truly felt the good guys were going to win both of them, but there was a level of uncertainty with RBY/Fix that kept me glued to the TV even though we had the team title locked up early.

If we got every blue-chipper, we'd lose this. I love to see the development of these guys, year over year. And I honestly feel we develop these guys better than any other room in the nation! Case in point, RBY. His freshman year saw him get decked by Gomez (fluky as it may have been), lose to Ben Thorton, John Erneste, Ethan Lizak, one to Pletcher, and the matches to DeSanto. In the last 3 years, he has lost exactly twice (once to Seth Gross and once to SeaBass). Sure, we missed out on Fix, but I think we're still doing alright and it makes it a lot of f*n to watch!

Honest question… when is the last time either school produced an NCAA champion?

I think it’s Kellen Russell for Blair

has Sem ever had one?
Did you say Bergen Catholic NCAA champs?
Nick Suriano
Shane Griffiths
AJ Ferrari
Robbie Howard (okay I jumped the gun but I have faith!)
Keep an eye on 197lb Jacob Cardenas at Cornell. Had good toruney this year. He could challenge for the 197 title. I could see him as another BC champ.

Reactions: hlstone
Ferrari spent less than 1 year at Blair before transferring to Bergen Catholic.
Ok, spent very some time at Bergen , I guess spent most of his time in Allen texas righ?.but anyway I'll take a Blair guy over a sem guy, meaning I think Van ness is better than Shapiro for 2 reasons it just science.

Nick Suriano
Shane Griffiths
AJ Ferrari
Keep an eye on 197lb Jacob Cardenas at Cornell. Had good toruney this year. He could challenge for the 197 title. I could see him as another BC champ.
Ferrari checks a lot of boxes.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Nick Suriano
Shane Griffiths
AJ Ferrari
Bergen claiming Ferrari is like Pitt claiming 3 dozen football titles.

Reactions: LHavenlion
As of today on HR, TNT had their eyes on Joe Sealey instead of Shapiro.
Lol. Yeah...you have Gobblin sayin' that at the 11th hour, Cornell stole Shapiro from the Hawkeyes. Then you have others trying to say the Hawks weren't all that interested in him.

If I were to make a suggestion, during this...the 12th hour, those fools need to decide who the real insider is over there because they are just making each other look stupid...

Lol. Yeah...you have Gobblin sayin' that at the 11th hour, Cornell stole Shapiro from the Hawkeyes. Then you have others trying to say the Hawks weren't all that interested in him.

If I were to make a suggestion, during this...the 12th hour, those fools need to decide who the real insider is over there because they are just making each other look stupid...
Channeling MSU158 (poetic license on weights, wrestler names and other facts):

They have the next 4 timer in Kennedy, just ask them. Why would they want Shapiro, just to sit the bench? Even if he went down to 157, Reyna is there and he would already be an NCAA Champ this season if he wasn't in High School. Again, just ask them. On top of all that, he couldn't even possibly cut down to 141 with Woods there. That just wouldn't make any sense.

There just simply isn't any room at Iowa for someone of his caliber, just ask them!

jUsT aSk ThEm!!!!!!!!!!!!

Channeling MSU158 (poetic license on weights, wrestler names and other facts):

They have the next 4 timer in Kennedy, just ask them. Why would they want Shapiro, just to sit the bench? Even if he went down to 157, Reyna is there and he would already be an NCAA Champ this season if he wasn't in High School. Again, just ask them. On top of all that, he couldn't even possibly cut down to 141 with Woods there. That just wouldn't make any sense.

There just simply isn't any room at Iowa for someone of his caliber, just ask them!

jUsT aSk ThEm!!!!!!!!!!!!
They actually believe that about Pat Kennedy though. Never mind he has had 2 years in the room now and is turning 21 next month and his results this year indicated he's a lower AA to R12 rather than a finalist.

Shapiro made about as much sense at Iowa as a fish sitting on a bicycle

Here’s Gobblin’s thought process: Shapiro wrestles for the same school as Gabe Arnold. Gabe Arnold is going to Iowa. Thus, Iowa is also Shapiro’s “Dream School”
And he alluded to Arnold flying to Iowa this week with another potential recruit from seminary lol. What's that about

Last edited:
I think Kennedy is going to be a stud. We'll agree to disagree on that one.
I think he's going to be (is) good but they hype him up like he's on the same level as the top tier at 165 (Keegan, Griffith, Hamiti, Kharchla). Could he be? Sure but he hasn't shown anything like that yet. They're literally using an easy season open against Marinelli where it was close to extrapolate. He's certainly ahead of Facundo at this time, like I said I'd say he's lower AA and I could be wrong by end of next season.

They actually believe that about Pat Kennedy though. Never mind he has had 2 years in the room now and is turning 21 next month and his results this year indicated he's a lower AA to R12 rather than a finalist.
I just hope his body holds up. Being 24 yo senior in that room doesn't exactly bode well for success.

Look stupid?

Shapiro, based on his resume is an intelligent kid who probably has serious national championship aspirations. No way in hell Iowa was ever a consideration. Cornell can coach him up to a national championship and combine that with a Cornell Ivy League degree and you have a solid combination that is hard to beat.

I think he's going to be (is) good but they hype him up like he's on the same level as the top tier at 165 (Keegan, Griffith, Hamiti, Kharchla). Could he be? Sure but he hasn't shown anything like that yet. They're literally using an easy season open against Marinelli where it was close to extrapolate. He's certainly ahead of Facundo at this time, like I said I'd say he's lower AA and I could be wrong by end of next season.
Chances are you will be wrong by the end of next season. He'll probably be more like a R12.

ADVERTISEMENT