ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer Shapiro at Wyoming Seminary

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Not sure if this had been discussed before, but Meyer Shapiro has made the move from Bullis School (Md.) to Wyoming Seminary (Pa.). I don’t think it changes a ton as far as his recruitment goes and I still like where PSU stands there.

Not sure if this had been discussed before, but Meyer Shapiro has made the move from Bullis School (Md.) to Wyoming Seminary (Pa.). I don’t think it changes a ton as far as his recruitment goes and I still like where PSU stands there.
Has he put out a school list yet?

alb409 on 247 says Jimmy Kennedy will be a huge in this one here. He's known as a slam dunk recruiter.
When speaking with Haines after Cadet Worlds, he said Meyer Shapiro and Jim Mullen were the two guys he was closed with on the team. Think there’s a pretty close connection there between all three and a good chance they all end up at the same school of Mullen doesn’t play football.

When speaking with Haines after Cadet Worlds, he said Meyer Shapiro and Jim Mullen were the two guys he was closed with on the team. Think there’s a pretty close connection there between all three and a good chance they all end up at the same school of Mullen doesn’t play football.
giphy.gif

Aside from the increased risk of injury, is there any reason why one would think Mullen can’t do both? I know it is tough but i just can’t imagine Mullen not being able to handle it.

Aside from the increased risk of injury, is there any reason why one would think Mullen can’t do both? I know it is tough but i just can’t imagine Mullen not being able to handle it.
This day and age, both of the sports are more or less year long commitments, especially with the conditioning required. Ben Kueter is going to give it a go at Iowa though.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
It’s just not really feasible with how intensive and year round both sports are these days. He may be able to do both, but hard to do either at a high level if that’s the case.

Mullen doesn't have a PSU football offer, I don't think he's that big of a croot for football.

Also - I'd be shocked if Mullen is near the PSU coaches' big board for 2023 DL. He's a low 3 star for Football and a 5 star for Wrestling. That being said ... hard to deny being a college football player is just a much "cooler" thing to be. He holds a Rutgers offer for football and that could easily be enough to convince him to not wrestle in college.

Also - I'd be shocked if Mullen is near the PSU coaches' big board for 2023 DL. He's a low 3 star for Football and a 5 star for Wrestling. That being said ... hard to deny being a college football player is just a much "cooler" thing to be. He holds a Rutgers offer for football and that could easily be enough to convince him to not wrestle in college.
Franklin is on our side....let's get him to use one of the FB 'ships to get us another wrestler. We will let him do both assuming he gives full attention to his wrestling endeavors. Slush fund hijinks at its best!!

Franklin is on our side....let's get him to use one of the FB 'ships to get us another wrestler. We will let him do both assuming he gives full attention to his wrestling endeavors. Slush fund hijinks at its best!!
I know this is a joke but I imagine Mullen is 100% a kid that gets a full from Cael anyways.

Rutgers might not be enough for him to play football in college.

Its simply unrealistic. Suggest reading the Washington Post story from when Spencer Myers did both for one year at Maryland.

Then ponder that insanity for 4-5 years.

Rutgers might not be enough for him to play football in college.
Really comes down to what the kid wants. I know after junior year, in the camp setting is where kids often can see themselves blow up, I imagine if he's still sitting on just Rutgers and G5 offers after that, he might be more inclined to wrestle. If he wants to wrestle, I have to imagine PSU can be in the drivers seat here as he can fill in like a glove after Kerk (who I think will move on after this Olympic cycle)

i think the clear takeaway here is that wyoming seminary is closer to iowa than maryland #tealeaves

As if PSU were short on slam dunk recruiters.
If that was the case, then all of Cael's recruits would come to PSU. Personally I just don't think Cael is the "slam dunk recruiter" he once was. Look at this past off season with Bouzakis and Mendez on the line. Why wouldn't they go with the "slam dunk" recruitment. Perhaps NLI played a role and that's not gonna work to Cael's favor moving forward. Last year we missed on Figs and Poulin. Wittlake bailed on us. We've got future question marks at weights that need to be addressed. Is Cael filling those question marks with blue chip "slam dunk" recruits? I certainly hope so. That said, I'll be happy if Meyer and/or Mullen choose PSU. And I'm glad Kennedy is here now to help the program.

If that was the case, then all of Cael's recruits would come to PSU. Personally I just don't think Cael is the "slam dunk recruiter" he once was. Look at this past off season with Bouzakis and Mendez on the line. Why wouldn't they go with the "slam dunk" recruitment. Perhaps NLI played a role and that's not gonna work to Cael's favor moving forward. Last year we missed on Figs and Poulin. Wittlake bailed on us. We've got future question marks at weights that need to be addressed. Is Cael filling those question marks with blue chip "slam dunk" recruits? I certainly hope so. That said, I'll be happy if Meyer and/or Mullen choose PSU. And I'm glad Kennedy is here now to help the program.
Cael absolutely still is a slam dunk recruiter ... it's Cael.

Missing on Mendez and Bouzakis was more of a lineup thing than anything else. The fact Mendez considered us up until the end when we tried to enter the convo for him basically the 11th hour shows the allure of Cael. Keep in mind, did we even have a full ride to offer Bouzakis/Mendez anymore by the end? Mendez has said he plans to start at 141 ... we have a 141 for multiple years.

Ask Shayne Van Ness how we got him. Cael wouldn't give up.
Ask Bartlett why he forgoed a Princeton education to come here.
Wittlake committed to Cael without Cael's knowledge per Willie. He was not a priority recruit here (I'd be shocked if he was offered any money if he was committing without Cael's knowledge). Wittlake would be a 165 nowhere but Oklahoma State, most projected him as high as 184 (certainly 174 at the lowest) ... we have our guys there. Hindsight 20-20 (by some miracle of God, he has held 165 his entire career) doesn't mean Cael "missed" on him.
Figs couldn't visit even because of COVID yet he close to flipping apparently. You can't possibly expect a kid to go across the country without visiting.

This is unrealistic. And I'm the guy who has in the past posted a lengthy list of Cael's misses over his entire tenure. If you go after the biggest fish, most will get away. And those 3 guys (Bouzakis, Mendez, and Poulin) aren't Snyder or Lee.

Besides, Cael isn't enough of a slam dunk recruiter but Kennedy gets him across the finish line?

And to pick on the other example above: we lost Wittlake when we gained Brooks. I'll take that trade every day and twice on Sunday.

Also - for the record, I have a pretty plugged in source that told me that Max Dean got nothing to come here. He's not wrestling his ideal weight here and he was offered a full ride to wrestle 184 basically everywhere else. Hell, he would have fit that Iowa lineup like a glove (God forbid) He is basically paying for Cael's instruction. What does that say?

Also - for the record, I have a pretty plugged in source that told me that Max Dean got nothing to come here. He's not wrestling his ideal weight here and he was offered a full ride to wrestle 184 basically everywhere else. Hell, he would have fit that Iowa lineup like a glove (God forbid) He is basically paying for Cael's instruction. What does that say?
Yep. This is all but on record, but Dean essentially reached out to PSU about coming there because that’s where he wanted to be.

i think the clear takeaway here is that wyoming seminary is closer to iowa than maryland #tealeaves
Yeah, he's a whole 12 minutes closer -- 13:59 vs 14:11.

Meanwhile now Cael can set up a police barricade on I-80.

[...]

Wittlake committed to Cael without Cael's knowledge per Willie. He was not a priority recruit here (I'd be shocked if he was offered any money if he was committing without Cael's knowledge). Wittlake would be a 165 nowhere but Oklahoma State, most projected him as high as 184 (certainly 174 at the lowest) ... we have our guys there. Hindsight 20-20 (by some miracle of God, he has held 165 his entire career) doesn't mean Cael "missed" on him.
Figs couldn't visit even because of COVID yet he close to flipping apparently. You can't possibly expect a kid to go across the country without visiting.
Not meant to nitpick, but you can also say that about Facundo too, who's looking to wrestle at 165 (vice 174-197) for Penn State (albeit not by design).

you're nuts

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
The local MD wrestling scene is no where what pa is. But it is tight knit since there isn't a lot of kids wrestling at a high level. So wrestling news is thin and big names is all anyone talks about.

My opinion based on things I hear on the road is Meyer is a psu lean.

I disagree that carl can't close. Sure he misses who doesn't. But the only "hole" we have is 125. Every other weight has a HS stud there.

Reactions: Ja1339 and danoftw
Not meant to nitpick, but you can also say that about Facundo too, who's looking to wrestle at 165 (vice 174-197) for Penn State (albeit not by design).
Whatever the reason .... Cael was obviously all in on Facundo, multiple photos of him at Davison practices sitting with Facundo and he did not miss on him. Way different situation than Wittlake who committed to Cael without Cael knowing.

Reactions: Sullivan
The local MD wrestling scene is no where what pa is. But it is tight knit since there isn't a lot of kids wrestling at a high level. So wrestling news is thin and big names is all anyone talks about.

My opinion based on things I hear on the road is Meyer is a psu lean.

I disagree that carl can't close. Sure he misses who doesn't. But the only "hole" we have is 125. Every other weight has a HS stud there.
... and if Howard fully recovers, that 125 "hole" closes quickly.

Just kidding here…. Perhaps you’re hoping Kennedy will provide us all with more insider info, since @Str8DBLz insider info has been less than 100% reliable 😉.

And now look at him.

ADVERTISEMENT