ADVERTISEMENT

Meteoric rise of true Aaron Brooks... Who might have risen as fast at Penn State

amalone

Oct 12, 2005

EDIT: (Sorry guys... I didn't finish my original post.)

As a true freshman and Big Ten Champ, let's take a look at other Penn State wrestlers who might have had the same trajectory, so early.

Vincenzo Joseph completed, arguably the most unbelievable runs by any Penn State a RS freshman as Mark Hall did as a true Freshman.

Vincenzo was one of Penn State’s first two freshman National Champions (with teammate Mark Hall) by pinning two-time defending champion #1 Isaiah Martinez of Illinois at the 5:25 mark in National final. Cenzo rolled to national title with 5-0 mark including a pin and a major. Cenzo beat #14 Branson Ashworth of Wyoming (12-4 major), #6 Daniel Lewis of Missouri (6-5 dec.), #2 Logan Massa of Michigan (5-4 dec.) and #1 Isaiah Martinez of Illinois (fall, 5:25) in an unbelievable run to the title.

Mark Hall winning the NCAA Title as a true freshman. He avenged a loss in the Big Ten Finals to Bo Jordan of Ohio and then went on to win the 2017 NCAA Championship at 174 with a resounding 5-2 win over Bo Jordan in St. Louis. Mark Hall went 5-0 with a major and a tech, including wins over #4 Zach Epperly of Virginia Tech and #1 Zahid Valencia of Arizona State. Mark Hall also was InterMat Freshman of the Year.

Nico was right there. Nico's ability and wrestling prowess didn't come fully on until Nationals... Nico's run as a true freshman as also one for the ages:

NCAA Championships (4-1, 2nd, National Runner-Up): Stunning run at NCAAs included four straight wins to advance to national finals as true freshman. Nico had a 13-5 major over Michael Martinez of Wyoming then 7-3 win over #7 Jarrod Patterson of Oklahoma. Nico then avenged two regular season losses with 7-4 dismantling of #2 Zach Sanders of Minnesota in the quarterfinals and then a thrilling 3-2 (tb2) win over #6 Frank Perrelli of Cornell in the national semis, avenging two regular season losses to Perrelli as well. Nico after his improbable run, then dropped a tough 4-1 bout to #1 Matt McDonough of Iowa in the national finals. Nico became Penn State's first true freshman All-American since Quentin Wright was sixth at 174 in 2009.

Of course, you have David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal as RS freshman. Can anyone else give some insight into any other Penn State wrestler that has had such a stratospheric rise like Aaron Brooks as a true freshman?

You also had Nick Lee taking fifth as a true freshman. Nick went 6-2 at the NCAA Championships as a true freshman, earning All-American honors..Placed fifth as the #8 seed, wrestling all the way back to fifth after losing his first bout. He downed the #9, #10, #16, #12 and #5 seeded wrestlers in the process.

You also had RBY becoming an All American as a true freshman last year. RBY went 4-3 at the 2019 NCAA Championships to become a true freshman All-American. RBY beat #23, #9 and #15 ranked wrestlers to set up a blood-round match against #4 Micky Phillippi of Pitt. RBY downed the Pitt Panther 4-3 to become an All-American. Placed eighth at 133.

You had Q who entered the 2009 NCAA Championships as the #11 seed and ended a true freshman run through nationals as an All-American and the sixth place finisher at 174. Q went 4-3 at the tournament, with five of his foes being seeded wrestlers. Quentin wrestled the #6, #3, #2, #5 and #6 seeds and grabbed wins over #6 and #2.

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover

As a true freshman and Big Ten Champ, let's take a look at other Penn State wrestlers who might have had the same trajectory, so early.

Nico was right there. Nico's ability and wrestling prowess didn't come fully on until Nationals... Nico's run as a true freshman:

NCAA Championships (4-1, 2nd, National Runner-Up): Stunning run at NCAAs included four straight wins to advance to national finals as true freshman...13-5 major over Michael Martinez of Wyoming then 7-3 win over #7 Jarrod Patterson of Oklahoma...avenged two regular season losses with 7-4 dismantling of #2 Zach Sanders of Minnesota in quarterfinals...thrilling 3-2 (tb2) win over #6 Frank Perrelli of Cornell in national semis, avenging two regular season losses to Perrelli as well...dropped tough 4-1 bout to #1 Matt McDonough of Iowa in national finals...became Penn State's first true freshman All-American since Quentin Wright was sixth at 174 in 2009.

Of course, you have David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal as RS freshman. Can anyone else give some insight into any other Penn State wrestler that has had such a stratospheric rise like Aaron Brooks as a true freshman?
You forgot about Mark Hall already?

Reactions: Dogwelder

EDIT: (Sorry guys... I didn't finish my original post.)

Vincenzo Joseph completed, arguably the most unbelievable runs by any Penn State true freshman along with his teammate, Mark Hall.

Vincenzo was one of Penn State’s first two freshman National Champions (with teammate Mark Hall) by pinning two-time defending champion #1 Isaiah Martinez of Illinois at the 5:25 mark in National final. Cenzo rolled to national title with 5-0 mark including a pin and a major. Cenzo beat #14 Branson Ashworth of Wyoming (12-4 major), #6 Daniel Lewis of Missouri (6-5 dec.), #2 Logan Massa of Michigan (5-4 dec.) and #1 Isaiah Martinez of Illinois (fall, 5:25) in an unbelievable run to the title.

Mark Hall winning the NCAA Title as a true freshman. He avenged a loss in the Big Ten Finals to Bo Jordan of Ohio and then went on to win the 2017 NCAA Championship at 174 with a resounding 5-2 win over Bo Jordan in St. Louis. Mark Hall went 5-0 with a major and a tech, including wins over #4 Zach Epperly of Virginia Tech and #1 Zahid Valencia of Arizona State. Mark Hall also was InterMat Freshman of the Year.

Nico was right there. Nico's ability and wrestling prowess didn't come fully on until Nationals... Nico's run as a true freshman as also one for the ages:

NCAA Championships (4-1, 2nd, National Runner-Up): Stunning run at NCAAs included four straight wins to advance to national finals as true freshman. Nico had a 13-5 major over Michael Martinez of Wyoming then 7-3 win over #7 Jarrod Patterson of Oklahoma. Nico then avenged two regular season losses with 7-4 dismantling of #2 Zach Sanders of Minnesota in the quarterfinals and then a thrilling 3-2 (tb2) win over #6 Frank Perrelli of Cornell in the national semis, avenging two regular season losses to Perrelli as well. Nico after his improbable run, then dropped a tough 4-1 bout to #1 Matt McDonough of Iowa in the national finals. Nico became Penn State's first true freshman All-American since Quentin Wright was sixth at 174 in 2009.

You also had Nick Lee taking fifth as a true freshman. Nick went 6-2 at the NCAA Championships as a true freshman, earning All-American honors..Placed fifth as the #8 seed, wrestling all the way back to fifth after losing his first bout. He downed the #9, #10, #16, #12 and #5 seeded wrestlers in the process.

You also had RBY becoming an All American as a true freshman last year. RBY went 4-3 at the 2019 NCAA Championships to become a true freshman All-American. RBY beat #23, #9 and #15 ranked wrestlers to set up a blood-round match against #4 Micky Phillippi of Pitt. RBY downed the Pitt Panther 4-3 to become an All-American. Placed eighth at 133.

You had Q who entered the 2009 NCAA Championships as the #11 seed and ended a true freshman run through nationals as an All-American and the sixth place finisher at 174. Q went 4-3 at the tournament, with five of his foes being seeded wrestlers. Quentin wrestled the #6, #3, #2, #5 and #6 seeds and grabbed wins over #6 and #2.

Cenzo was a Redshirt Freshman when he won his first title, not a true freshman. Still an amazing feat to knock off IMar.

You forgot about Mark Hall already?
I was going to say Zain, but Mark Hall is even more recent.

Aaron is great, great, but to wonder if this is unprecedented here is either some chum cast into the water or a complete fail by the OP. Asking for insight from someone who has been probably posting here for 10 years leads me to believe the former.

FWIW: If I read the PSWC site correctly, there's been 14 true freshman in the Cael era:

Nate Morgan
Frank Martellotti
AAlton
Nick Ruggear
MMcIntosh
Nico
Zain
Jan Johnson
Hall
Suriano
NLee
RBY
ABrooks
SNevills

*2010, 2013, 2015 were the only seasons w/o a TF.

Aside from maybe Marky, Aaron was easily the most accomplished and up to the task. 4 timer, many world medals,GS. Heck, Marky didnt even have the GS. Aaron was as ready as you can get.

Aside from maybe Marky, Aaron was easily the most accomplished and up to the task. 4 timer, many world medals,GS. Heck, Marky didnt even have the GS. Aaron was as ready as you can get.
Yep. Loved it when he committed. Cael knows wrestlers and this one is a gem. It's scary to think how good he will become in the next few years after being in that room.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
He's tough but he would not have beat Valencia had he not been suspended or the tournament canceled. Imo. I don't even think it's close. He'll have three more years to win tho. Being a "4 timer" is overrated.

Reactions: tewlepz
He's tough but he would not have beat Valencia had he not been suspended or the tournament canceled. Imo. I don't even think it's close. He'll have three more years to win tho. Being a "4 timer" is overrated.
Valencia was suspended. To say it is overrated is easy when it is not your dream. I personally am not going to worry about upcoming athletic events or seasons until this pandemic has passed. But at the same time, I am not going to minimize how big this is for athletes who have been training almost their entire lives for the chance to compete and possibly become the elite of elite.

Last edited:
I’m going to chime in on this one lol. Aaron’s redshirt was pulled immediately after he was medically cleared. He was nowhere near wrestling shape until the end of January which would explain his improvement. Zahid would not beat a healthy Aaron in any style. Just my opinion. Even with the pre match boost.

I’m going to chime in on this one lol. Aaron’s redshirt was pulled immediately after he was medically cleared. He was nowhere near wrestling shape until the end of January which would explain his improvement. Zahid would not beat a healthy Aaron in any style. Just my opinion. Even with the pre match boost.

TELL EM!

Reactions: nitlion6

tenor.gif

Last edited:
“Meteoric rise of true Aaron Brooks“

I hate to rain rocks on a parade, but meteors don’t really rise. :) #meta4fail

:)
I really like you posting here.

When I think "meteoric rise" I think of a huge improvement. Brooks was a superstar before he showed up at PSU it's not like he started at the bottom and became a BIG 10 champ. He was winning world level.tournaments before he put on the blue and white

Aaron v. Nate Jackson was subject of Match of the Day today:
AB's quad pod to stalemate Jackson's go-behind had to be deflating. Shortly after that, the look Jackson gives with :04 left in the first after he's unable to stave off AB from spinning behind after multiple direction changes. Match was over right there, the second period was a formality.

“Meteoric rise of true Aaron Brooks“

I hate to rain rocks on a parade, but meteors don’t really rise. :) #meta4fail

No need to rain rocks on this parade when you have a meteor at your disposal.

“Meteoric” has acquired a meaning almost opposite to the one it started out with. The writer… describing the company’s rise as meteoric, meant to convey that it has been swift and spectacular. But meteors do not rise; they fall.

I’m not so sure. Meteors travel very fast indeed (albeit downwards) thus perhaps justifying the use of ’meteoric’ in the phrase ‘meteoric rise’. And the Oxford Dictionary of English happily allows that one definition of ‘meteoric’ is ‘very rapid’.

“Meteoric” has acquired a meaning almost opposite to the one it started out with. The writer… describing the company’s rise as meteoric, meant to convey that it has been swift and spectacular. But meteors do not rise; they fall.

I’m not so sure. Meteors travel very fast indeed (albeit downwards) thus perhaps justifying the use of ’meteoric’ in the phrase ‘meteoric rise’. And the Oxford Dictionary of English happily allows that one definition of ‘meteoric’ is ‘very rapid’.
Actually, I cannot think of a better metaphor than “meteoric rise” to mean a sudden and fast and spectacular rise, despite the internal conflict that I mentioned. Because a meteor is just too cool in evoking what LorenzoFan said it evokes. A meteor is an unknown, unannounced, all-but-invisible cold dark rock that comes from nowhere and rapidly yet smoothly gets hotter and hotter and brighter and brighter until it streaks across the entire sky for all to see.

I am now on the hunt to tweak or replace the expression “meteoric rise”, but I’m having no success.

Last edited:
Reactions: amalone
... But meteors do not rise; they fall ...
That would simply be a matter of perspective, no?;)
Good news! On rare occasions, a meteor can be so fast and large [and trajected] that it enters and escapes Earth’s atmosphere. For such a meteor, there will be places on Earth that will see the meteor, at least part-time, as going upward in the conventional sense of going farther from Earth’s center of mass!

(Unconventional bat-hanging-upside-down coordinate systems do not count for anything. :) )

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/big-meteoroid-boomerangs-around-earth/

Last edited:

Your quote above (bolded, underlined) came from the link below. Might as well give credit.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/11039/what-does-a-meteoric-rise-imply

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT