ADVERTISEMENT

Met a charismatic individual at the bar on vacation.

Fayette_LION

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004
The young fellow of 86 years sat or at least tried to sit next to me at the bar. He needed a little assistance getting on the high chair at the bar. I helped him up and he started the conversation about where I was from. I provided the answer and he said he's been there many times, recruiting football players. As the conversation moved along, he revealed that he coached under Bobby Bowden at WVu. We discussed Penn State and he said " We had a clue when they would run a particular play that was very effective for PSU". They practiced all week and had it down pat. Just as PSU got into the alignment and the tip off was provided, WVu players all gave the signal. Bobby Bowden said "We got this one" PSU QB took the snap and handed off to the back and he slammed into the line. 47 yards later it was TD for PSU. Bowden, who never cussed, said dad-gummit, what went wrong? It was a great conversation and I noticed his ring. It was extremely large and diamond studded. He said yes, I got that with the Denver Broncos for the AFC championship. He also coached for Seattle and we had a nice discussion on Curt Warner. It's easy to see why these guys coach, they are very people oriented. Sure glad he sat down next to me at the bar! We had about 30 minutes of football talk during a great vacation.

The young fellow of 86 years sat or at least tried to sit next to me at the bar. He needed a little assistance getting on the high chair at the bar. I helped him up and he started the conversation about where I was from. I provided the answer and he said he's been there many times, recruiting football players. As the conversation moved along, he revealed that he coached under Bobby Bowden at WVu. We discussed Penn State and he said " We had a clue when they would run a particular play that was very effective for PSU". They practiced all week and had it down pat. Just as PSU got into the alignment and the tip off was provided, WVu players all gave the signal. Bobby Bowden said "We got this one" PSU QB took the snap and handed off to the back and he slammed into the line. 47 yards later it was TD for PSU. Bowden, who never cussed, said dad-gummit, what went wrong? It was a great conversation and I noticed his ring. It was extremely large and diamond studded. He said yes, I got that with the Denver Broncos for the AFC championship. He also coached for Seattle and we had a nice discussion on Curt Warner. It's easy to see why these guys coach, they are very people oriented. Sure glad he sat down next to me at the bar! We had about 30 minutes of football talk during a great vacation.
You were talking to Alex Gibbs I believe and if it was I’d hire him to coach the OL in a minute!! One of the greatest OL coaches ever!!!

Last edited:
Didn't we just have an article on this board regarding the Villages?
Didn't see the article but if it was related to sexual issues, it probably was real. Lots of single women roaming the bars in the evenings. Some dressed to the max!

Did he need help getting off the chair, too. :p

You went on vacation to The Villages?

I did not realize that was a destination.

LdN

Reactions: Sharkies
You went on vacation to The Villages?

I did not realize that was a destination.

LdN
Destination was Palm Beach, but having a number of friends who winter at the Villages, I was invited to go so it just made another week in warm sunny Florida possible. By the way, if you haven't visited or stayed at the Villages, don't knock it. It sure beats low temperatures and snow in the winter here in Pa. Did you know there are over 800 holes of golf at the Villages, a swimming pool and pickle ball courts in every community? Lots to do there to stay active. I spent most of a week golfing where I could have been here in Pa bitch'n about the cold weather.

Destination was Palm Beach, but having a number of friends who winter at the Villages, I was invited to go so it just made another week in warm sunny Florida possible. By the way, if you haven't visited or stayed at the Villages, don't knock it. It sure beats low temperatures and snow in the winter here in Pa. Did you know there are over 800 holes of golf at the Villages, a swimming pool and pickle ball courts in every community? Lots to do there to stay active. I spent most of a week golfing where I could have been here in Pa bitch'n about the cold weather.

I didnt mean it in a negative light. I met a lot of people who lived there while I was in florida

I viewed it more like a cruise ship... amenities for passengers only sort of thing.

LdN

Reactions: Fayette_LION
I didnt mean it in a negative light. I met a lot of people who lived there while I was in florida

I viewed it more like a cruise ship... amenities for passengers only sort of thing.

LdN
You can stay and rent from the Villages, rent from friends or AirBnB. Lots of opportunities and you get almost all amenities with the stay. They obviously want you to buy.

ADVERTISEMENT