ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s BB vs Bucknell game thread

Ole Miss has strong guard play, and usually play good D under their 2nd year coach. Will be a good test.

The defense wasn't good. Didn't get back and didn't box out. Bucknell just didn't have the size or athleticism to keep up.

Wheeler finishing at the hoop was a good sign.
I thought Wheeler played really well. He took care of the ball, played awesome defense, and he scored..,,shot 5 for 5...,best game I’ve seen him play.

Solid effort tonight. Did a good job playing to our strengths by pounding it inside and not settling for 3s. Also will be an underrated defensive performance, fell asleep a few times in transition and for a 4-5 minute stretch in the first half, but really clamped down in the second half.

I like Tim Miles in the studio, he should be made for this as he gets some experience.

And I’ve heard a lot worse than Christy Winters-Scott doing color. She was decent.

Reactions: Yanks49 and bison13
I like Tim Miles in the studio, he should be made for this as he gets some experience.

And I’ve heard a lot worse than Christy Winters-Scott doing color. She was decent.
Nice to know.........any sports broadcast I encounter with a woman calling the game automatically gets put on mute........and the music is turned up......

I liked Miles too, of course I thought he got the shaft a bit a UN, he'll probably be back coaching next season.

I thought Wheeler played really well. He took care of the ball, played awesome defense, and he scored..,,shot 5 for 5...,best game I’ve seen him play.
He always plays good D, finished at the basket better tonight. Had a couple sloppy TO's on the break but overall one of his better games. If he and Brockington can keep supplying pressure on the ball and Watkins doing what he does in front of the rim, could be another good defensive team.

He always plays good D, finished at the basket better tonight. Had a couple sloppy TO's on the break but overall one of his better games. If he and Brockington can keep supplying pressure on the ball and Watkins doing what he does in front of the rim, could be another good defensive team.
Barring any catastrophic injuries in our front court, this has the potential to be a pretty special season for PSU hoops. This is the earliest such buzz has been there for our program in ages (maybe 1996?). I know that it is the earliest that we have ever received votes in the rankings, but I feel casual fans are already waking up to this team only a few games into the season. The GTown performance I think went a far way in this.

Reactions: aferrelli
45-42 PSU at the half. I get yelled at for ever being negative about the basketball team or Chambers, so I won’t say anything other than our defense looks terrible and that’s unusual.

Big mouth in 1st half. Only gave up 28 in 2nd half.

Big mouth in 1st half. Only gave up 28 in 2nd half.
Good second half doesn’t mean they weren’t bad in the first half...Chambers said their defense was bad in the first half....that damn Chambers has a big mouth.

They are fun to watch. A lot of effort and quickness. Defense was a raw and uneven in the first half, but they dropped the hammer in the second. Could be an enjoyable season and Pat’s best so far.

They are fun to watch. A lot of effort and quickness. Defense was a raw and uneven in the first half, but they dropped the hammer in the second. Could be an enjoyable season and Pat’s best so far.
If they don’t make the tourney this year, I doubt they ever make it under Pat.

It’s early, but this year does feel different. I think Pat understands he needs to dial down the intensity at times and maybe he can do it without losing his drive. I liked the way he quietly called off the dogs at the end.
At least we appear to have the players this season.

45-42 PSU at the half. I get yelled at for ever being negative about the basketball team or Chambers, so I won’t say anything other than our defense looks terrible and that’s unusual.

You are Correct

If it's not okay to note that PSU Football won some games very ugly against the likes of Buffalo, Pitt and others and discuss WHY, because the record was "7-0" or some nonsense, then NO, it's not okay to knock the BB team for being up only 3 at half. I mean 3-0! Right?
It also appears Chambers made half time adjustments. It would be nice if the Football team did.

JUST BE CONSISTENT

You are Correct

If it's not okay to note that PSU Football won some games very ugly against the likes of Buffalo, Pitt and others and discuss WHY, because the record was "7-0" or some nonsense, then NO, it's not okay to knock the BB team for being up only 3 at half. I mean 3-0! Right?
It also appears Chambers made half time adjustments. It would be nice if the Football team did.

JUST BE CONSISTENT
Apples and oranges....one coach consistently wins the other does not, but you know that. You’re just being difficult. And making halftime adjustments once against Bucknell doesn’t define a career.

Apples and oranges....one coach consistently wins the other does not, but you know that. You’re just being difficult. And making halftime adjustments once against Bucknell doesn’t define a career.
Why are you so negative? Don’t you realize that Chambers is building a program from zero? No other coach was around long enough, and/or was good enough, to build a program at Penn State. So we finally have a coach that is building our program organically, has more enthusiasm for the program than previous coaches, and you’re going to criticize the man? LOL

Yes, it is apples and oranges. One guy makes north of $4mill/yr and the other makes a fraction of that. One guy took over a blue blood program that is littered with 4 and 5 star talent, and the other took over 2*s. One guy has the facilities, stadium, and following that other programs dream of, and the other took over a program that plays second fiddle to Bon Jovi for their practice facility when he comes.

Franklin better as hell be doing a better job at winning than Pat! He has been giving soooo much more than Pat to continue the tradition of winning... There is no tradition of winning for the program PC came into.

Last edited:
Why are you so negative? Don’t you realize that Chambers is building a program from zero? No other coach was around long enough, and/or was good enough, to build a program at Penn State. So we finally have a coach that is building our program organically, has more enthusiasm for the program than previous coaches, and you’re going to criticize the man? LOL
Don't mind ASW. I've learned that it's best to ignore him.

But these other coaches you’re trashing all had better results than Chambers. Building a program is one thing, but you have to show results at some point. What are your excuses going to be if they don’t make the tourney this year?

Yes, it is apples and oranges. One guy makes north of $4mill/yr and the other makes a fraction of that. One guy took over a blue blood program that is littered with 4 and 5 star talent, and the other took over 2*s. One guy has the facilities, stadium, and following that other programs dream of, and the other took over a program that plays second fiddle to Bon Jovi for their practice facility when he comes.

Franklin better as hell be doing a better job at winning than Pat! He has been giving soooo much more than Pat to continue the tradition of winning... There is no tradition of winning for the program PC came into.
You forgot that one was buried in a horrendous scandal and faced crippling sanctions and the other did not. Also, one has unbelievably high expectations and the other only has to be one step above mediocre, which he hasn’t been able to do. The expectations can’t get much lower than Penn State basketball and he can’t reach those lowly expectations.

Just stop it. You’re hitting the point where you’re becoming more annoying than Gunnsie in his prime in basketball threads, and that’s really hard to do.

You forgot that one was buried in a horrendous scandal and faced crippling sanctions and the other did not. Also, one has unbelievably high expectations and the other only has to be one step above mediocre, which he hasn’t been able to do. The expectations can’t get much lower than Penn State basketball and he can’t reach those lowly expectations.
You don't think that the scandal also affected MBB recruiting and also made a thin budget even thinner bc of the fines??

For the most part, the sanctions where on their way out once Franklin started.

Why do you always feel the need to make your voice heard in every MBB thread? It's like a broken record.

Reactions: johnmpsu
You don't think that the scandal also affected MBB recruiting and also made a thin budget even thinner bc of the fines??

For the most part, the sanctions where on their way out once Franklin started.

Why do you always feel the need to make your voice heard in every MBB thread? It's like a broken record.
Um, I started the thread...you know, because I was actually watching the game which apparently almost no one else on this board was doing.

Just stop it. You’re hitting the point where you’re becoming more annoying than Gunnsie in his prime in basketball threads, and that’s really hard to do.
You don’t have to read my posts or you can put me on ignore. Have a nice day.

After reading this post, I’m assuming that you believe that the Sandusky scandal only affected the football team. I truly believe that EVERYONE was affected by the scandal, including the basketball team. Pat was only around for a year or two before the proverbial crap hit the fan.

You forgot that one was buried in a horrendous scandal and faced crippling sanctions and the other did not.

That scandal hurt PC more than most realize or like to admit. PC came in and started to gain serious traction in recruiting. Then the scandal hit and nobody wanted to touch Penn State. It took a couple of years for PC to regain that traction. This is probably his best team yet. Hopefully it works out that way on the court.

Looking ahead, if Stevens gets drafted (he's currently a second round projection), it will be the second draft pick in three years. Plus Frazier and Reaves are in the NBA right now. Carr could be soon. And Watkins will have his shot as well. While the W-L record isn't where we'd like, high school kids (particularly from Philly) are noticing that Pat is getting kids nice paychecks. That doesn't hurt recruiting.

I get frustrated by what has seemed like wasted opportunities (we should have been in the dance two seasons ago), but I also realize that this job isn't easy. PC doesn't have the shiny stuff the big time programs have to dangle in front of recruits. He's growing the program the best way he can -- from the ground up.

After reading this post, I’m assuming that you believe that the Sandusky scandal only affected the football team. I truly believe that EVERYONE was affected by the scandal, including the basketball team. Pat was only around for a year or two before the proverbial crap hit the fan.
It only directly affected the football team by way of sanctions. The reputation stain hit all programs, but it didn’t keep them from being successful.

That scandal hurt PC more than most realize or like to admit. PC came in and started to gain serious traction in recruiting. Then the scandal hit and nobody wanted to touch Penn State. It took a couple of years for PC to regain that traction. This is probably his best team yet. Hopefully it works out that way on the court.

Looking ahead, if Stevens gets drafted (he's currently a second round projection), it will be the second draft pick in three years. Plus Frazier and Reaves are in the NBA right now. Carr could be soon. And Watkins will have his shot as well. While the W-L record isn't where we'd like, high school kids (particularly from Philly) are noticing that Pat is getting kids nice paychecks. That doesn't hurt recruiting.

I get frustrated by what has seemed like wasted opportunities (we should have been in the dance two seasons ago), but I also realize that this job isn't easy. PC doesn't have the shiny stuff the big time programs have to dangle in front of recruits. He's growing the program the best way he can -- from the ground up.
So if he’s recruiting well and not winning, then he can’t coach. If he can coach and is not winning, then his recruiting isn’t as good as people think. At some point the building of anything has to result in something.

ASW was a coach and has superior basketball knowledge than all of us. He speaks only the truth, so us peasants must listen

Reactions: MJG-90
It only directly affected the football team by way of sanctions. The reputation stain hit all programs, but it didn’t keep them from being successful.
Right, but it could have kept a few kids away from enrolling, don’t you think?

ASW was a coach and has superior basketball knowledge than all of us. He speaks only the truth, so us peasants must listen
Oh good lord. A person doesn’t need to have superior basketball knowledge to see results...8 years without a tournament bid when previous coaches who were supposed to be awful did better than that. Apparently, it takes a special kind of expertise to see results that aren’t there.

So if he’s recruiting well and not winning, then he can’t coach. If he can coach and is not winning, then his recruiting isn’t as good as people think. At some point the building of anything has to result in something.

It's not that simple. Yes, he's improved recruiting -- relative to Penn State's history of recruiting. But the Big Ten as a conference has also stepped up overall. So we haven't actually made up ground where it matters.

I do agree with your last sentence though. We need to make the tournament this year, while we still have Stevens and Watkins, because we'll probably take a step back next year when younger guys are the best players. But then use this season as proof we can be successful and hopefully step up recruiting another notch so we can be more consistent.

Reactions: psuguy43
ADVERTISEMENT