ADVERTISEMENT

Mejia not going to Illini...free agent....

Reactions: Dogwelder
Yeah, sure.

Couldn't have been that Mejia's admission into Illinois was contingent on completing certain courses or maintaining some minimum GPA, stipulations that he failed to meet? Nah, must have been a random, careless error on the part of his high school, which by the way sends plenty of their graduates onto college, including a number into college athletic programs.

(417ebc12b13808854dcc86bf00a8966d_f2269.jpeg).
Besides that, a clerical error can always be corrected if both parties want to be together. Apparently, one party did not. All that assumes that it was a clerical error in the first place, which I lean against.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'm amazed that HR refuses to acknowledge that Sammy Brooks and Alex Meyer both wasted their time at Iowa. They had the physical ability, but got zero coaching.
Shoddy coaching means shoddy careers.

I'm amazed that HR refuses to acknowledge that Sammy Brooks and Alex Meyer both wasted their time at Iowa. They had the physical ability, but got zero coaching.
Not to mention 4 timer Nick Moore.

Surely you are trolling but I will bite. Brooks was a two time big ten champ so he must have had a little coaching. Meyer wasn't highly ranked by any means and while he was very strong, he had extremely slow feet which is why he won most matches in he 3rd period after wearing the other guy out.

Not to mention Jimmy Guilibon... wait never mind that doesn't help your point.

Reactions: ILhawk41
Clark is huge compared to Mejia, so I don't think it's an apposite comparison.
Memory can play tricks on me, but I believe Clark and Gilman were both projected 25 pounders coming into Iowa and it was generally believed Gilman would be the one going 133. Clark is bigger now, not so much as a HS senior.

6-6-6, sign of the beast.

OKFH628o5yXiw3bgLXhw.jpg

Last edited:
Mejia said "Due to an application error", which is like "mistakes were made." And on top of that, he said "I was denied". And not only denied, but "denied the right ..."

**IF** the error was Mejia's own, then his saying "I was denied" and "denied the right" raises a HUGE red flag with me. "I was denied" and "denied the right" are pretty much the way a habitual victim talks, anyhow, and **IF** a guy says it to explain his own mistake, then I would just about never hire such a guy. The apparent tendency toward victimhood would be a deal-breaker for me.

On the other hand, if the "application error" was *not* due to Mejia's own error and *was* due to the Univ. of Illinois, then Mejia is just another bad writer/communicator, and then I would dislike that, but I would not hold it as much against him.

You may be right, but isn't this a bit pompous and self righteous?

Surely you are trolling but I will bite. Brooks was a two time big ten champ so he must have had a little coaching. Meyer wasn't highly ranked by any means and while he was very strong, he had extremely slow feet which is why he won most matches in he 3rd period after wearing the other guy out.

Not to mention Jimmy Guilibon... wait never mind that doesn't help your point.
The point is that from 141 and up, Iowa is generally getting its brains beat in recently - both by Cael with his top 10 studs and from other teams with much lower ranked recruiting classes. You guys rightfully crow about your lightweight prowess, but are decidedly silent about the rest of the room even though your recruits are far from plow horses.

You may be right, but isn't this a bit pompous and self righteous?
Uh. Have you ever hired a person before?

Is it pompous to try to read the red flags?

When you have hired the wrong person once, you become very sensitive to feelings of "I'll never overlook that red flag again" and "I will trust my first impression next time."

Uh. Have you ever hired a person before?

Is it pompous to try to read the red flags?

When you have hired the wrong person once, you become very sensitive to feelings of "I'll never overlook that red flag again" and "I will trust my first impression next time."
Not following my instincts when hiring people (adults) is a lesson I learned awhile ago. However it has been my experience kids are not adults and they sometimes scramble around trying to figure things out. I give much more latitude to younger folks trying to find their path than I do some others.

Memory can play tricks on me, but I believe Clark and Gilman were both projected 25 pounders coming into Iowa and it was generally believed Gilman would be the one going 133. Clark is bigger now, not so much as a HS senior.

The best info I can find is that Mejia is 4'11". Clark is 5'6". Yeah, they are pretty much the same size.

The best info I can find is that Mejia is 4'11". Clark is 5'6". Yeah, they are pretty much the same size.
Not trying to be a dick or anything. Even 59 inches is about as tall as Tomasello, isn't it?

It's like us having 14 prized studs in the room. Everybody gets in a tizzy about where is everybody going to fit, but generally speaking it works itself out. If the kid goes to Iowa my guess is he and Spencer will both find their way into the lineup and things will work themselves out.

There will be many other opportunities to make fun of HR posters. Figuring there will be a need for both this kid and Spencer isn't in my opinion all that far fetched.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Not trying to be a dick or anything. Even 59 inches is about as tall as Tomasello, isn't it?

It's like us having 14 prized studs in the room. Everybody gets in a tizzy about where is everybody going to fit, but generally speaking it works itself out. If the kid goes to Iowa my guess is he and Spencer will both find their way into the lineup and things will work themselves out.

There will be many other opportunities to make fun of HR posters. Figuring there will be a need for both this kid and Spencer isn't in my opinion all that far fetched.

OK, so now we're switching from Clark to Tomasello as a comparison. Let's make up our mind. And Mejia and Tomasello are nothing alike physically.

I think Mejia will be a lifetime 125 who will not be able to succeed at 133 based on results against top-quality wrestlers so far. So his projection at 133 is wishful rather than realistic. Unless he has an unusual growth spurt, and it's called unusual for a reason.

All of which are better choices than a Perry-less Illinois.

I'll bet $20 that he bailed after M. Perry left -- which I have no fault with.
I have no fault with that, but it's the second time he has bailed. Or did Illinois bail this time?

I have no fault with that, but it's the second time he has bailed. Or did Illinois bail this time?

He bailed after the people recruiting him in left him in the dust. No way you can blame Mejia here for either case.

I am also in the camp that the story sounds fishy but who cares. He should go where he believes he can succeed, that's all that matters. Illinois clearly didn't work out

Fresno State would seem to be an ideal situation for Mejia. There may be scholly money available and it has the advantage of in-state tuition for him. He could man 125 with no logjam issues. Academics might also be less of an issue. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

With the specialization of coaches in college these days, why would Perry leaving for HWC be a factor in any "decision" by Mejia? He would be working with Jeremy Hunter, who is still there, no? Now, if you told me Delgado going to HWC was a factor, I could buy into it. Delgado moving to HWC for Perry makes a lot more sense, because he has legit freestyle aspirations. Mejia is years from that, if he ever gets there.

He bailed after the people recruiting him in left him in the dust. No way you can blame Mejia here for either case.

I am also in the camp that the story sounds fishy but who cares. He should go where he believes he can succeed, that's all that matters. Illinois clearly didn't work out
Thanks for the perspectives, guys. I've been coming toward this way of thinking, too. I now think of it as follows. Sometimes, with a big inflexible institution, the rules are only multiple choice. Rather than impossibly persuading the institution to create an "other" category just for you, it may be better to just shoehorn your situation into one of the existing answer choices. So, if such a hypothetical scenario reflects Mejia's scenario, then telling a screwy story to Illinois would be fine by me, given Perry's departure, etc. Still, Mejia did not tell the screwy story on Twitter elegantly. But maybe that's not nearly as big a deal as I made it, because telling screwy stories is hard. Normal people do not have much experience with it, and a kid would have even less experience. So the screwy-ness of the story, and its telling, might not reflect who the person really is.

Last edited:
Besides that, a clerical error can always be corrected if both parties want to be together. Apparently, one party did not. All that assumes that it was a clerical error in the first place, which I lean against.
This is just wild speculation, but one possibility is that "application error" is something that Mejia and Illinois mutually agreed upon, via wink wink, so that both sides can save face. Mejia can get his release, and Illinois can avoid the precedent and reputation of granting releases whenever even an assistant coach leaves. Everybody wins.

This is just wild speculation, but one possibility is that "application error" is something that Mejia and Illinois mutually agreed upon, via wink wink, so that both sides can save face. Mejia can get his release, and Illinois can avoid the precedent and reputation of granting releases whenever even an assistant coach leaves. Everybody wins.
True enough. Anything is possible.

True enough. Anything is possible.
Ha! Got a smidgeon of a giggle out of me when I read your post. Bigger picture (not this thread)... going into conspiracy-theory mode happens a good bit on forums, it's what happens, right?

ADVERTISEMENT