ADVERTISEMENT

Mejia not going to Illini...free agent....

dunkej01

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
this kid should write a book about his recruiting trail

I wonder if Perry leaving has something to do with it. Just a thought.

Any chance he "follows" (although leads is probably more accurate, as Mejia is a year older) his Clovis HS teammate?

I'm a little wary of 4 time California state champs. There have only been two of them, and I've seen both of them wrestle once time each. The first (whose name escapes me) got hammered by Ciasulli of Easton at the RTOC. (Then decked by Baglio of Redland at the DD). And Mejia got smoked by DeSanto at the Dapper Dan. Not a great track record, but I guess they must have beaten someone.

I'm a little wary of 4 time California state champs. There have only been two of them, and I've seen both of them wrestle once time each. The first (whose name escapes me) got hammered by Ciasulli of Easton at the RTOC. (Then decked by Baglio of Redland at the DD). And Mejia got smoked by DeSanto at the Dapper Dan. Not a great track record, but I guess they must have beaten someone.

3 time CA state champs seem to fare better...

Vazquez ended up being a two-time NCAA Division I All-American who had battles with the debilitating Epstein-Barr virus during his college career.
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=2702641

Sidenote. One of my college roommates wrestled (and later coached) at Redland.

Red flags are all over the place with this kid.
1) What kind of a distasteful social media name is jizzo? Okay, this kid can't be trusted with naming things in his own language. At least the guys who named a car Nova and a drink Calpis were creating problems in non-native languages. Good Judgment and Care are important traits. This kid doesn't seem to have these traits.
2) This kid says the equivalent of "mistakes were made". Is he hiding from blame? Is he bad at clear communication and writing? Accountability and Communication Ability are important traits. This kid does not make the cut.
3) This kid has now committed twice and failed to follow through twice. Either he's gullible, careless, or unlucky. Underpromising and Overdelivering is a good trait. The opposite, Overpromising and Underdelivering is a bad trait. Good Luck is also a good trait. This kid does not make the cut.

Sorry to be harsh on a kid, but that's what admissions departments do, and I would not choose this kid.

1) What kind of a distasteful social media name is jizzo? Okay, this kid can't be trusted with naming things in his own language. At least the guys who named a car Nova and a drink Calpis were creating problems in non-native languages. Good Judgment and Care are important traits. This kid doesn't seem to have these traits.
2) This kid says the equivalent of "mistakes were made". Is he hiding from blame? Is he bad at clear communication and writing? Accountability and Communication Ability are important traits. This kid does not make the cut.
3) This kid has now committed twice and failed to follow through twice. Either he's gullible, careless, or unlucky. Underpromising and Overdelivering is a good trait. The opposite, Overpromising and Underdelivering is a bad trait. Good Luck is also a good trait. This kid does not make the cut.

Sorry to be harsh on a kid, but that's what admissions departments do, and I would not choose this kid.

The important part of your post is the word "kid". Let's let him make a few more mistakes before we label him anything.

b699c801bafe77a4dddc5355634d48038f6f6560504b705fe08a318b497c54a7.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Dogwelder with a huge swing and a miss on this post.

bartolo-colon-swing-and-miss-against-pirates-b.gif

Darryl Vasquez I think was his name. I was at that Dapper Dan also. always remember Baglio. Somebody decked a kid from Washington that was like 180-0.

Is this situation as simple as:

Teasdale is no longer a Iowa commit, so Mejia wants to head back to the Hawkeyes ?

Reactions: nitlion6
If Perry were the reason he was heading to Illinois *and* he could grow into 133 *and* he had feasible Olympic aspirations *and* the Hawkeyes couldn't get anyone better at 133, Mejia to Iowa would make total sense. But that's a lot of ifs.

Reactions: Dogwelder
If Perry were the reason he was heading to Illinois *and* he could grow into 133 *and* he had feasible Olympic aspirations *and* the Hawkeyes couldn't get anyone better at 133, Mejia to Iowa would make total sense. But that's a lot of ifs.
That Gilman/Clark combo worked out just fine for the blackbirds. No reason to believe this kid and Spencer can't give the birds a solid one two start.

The important part of your post is the word "kid". Let's let him make a few more mistakes before we label him anything.
Everyone praises Cael for finding the kids with character, who seem mature and who seem to have good judgment.

How do you think Cael does it?

I think he probably does it in part by noticing red flags.

Sure, he'd talk to the kids, the parents, coaches, competitors, etc. to get a fuller picture, but he would also watch kids' actions. And he would notice red flags that might not mean the obvious thing, but they are red flags and *might* mean the obvious thing. That's all I'm saying. Based on what information I see, this kid and his support system have red flags and therefore the presumption is against him. Now, the burden is on someone to convince me to like to hire him despite the red flags.

Cael would never tell me anything, but I would love to ask Cael how he honestly sees Mejia, given the red flags that I see, even apart from whatever wrestling skill Mejia has. I would want to know whether Cael's sensibility for personnel decision-making is like mine, and I would like to refine my sensibilities based on what I learn from Cael.

There is just something naive about Mejia, which doesn't make him a bad person, but it makes him a liability. For example, the goofy stuff that Ramos said about who was cornering him or not comes from someone who is naive, and I would prefer not to hire naive people. I would like to hire people with some worldliness and taste and sensibility.

Last edited:

Mejia said "Due to an application error", which is like "mistakes were made." And on top of that, he said "I was denied". And not only denied, but "denied the right ..."

**IF** the error was Mejia's own, then his saying "I was denied" and "denied the right" raises a HUGE red flag with me. "I was denied" and "denied the right" are pretty much the way a habitual victim talks, anyhow, and **IF** a guy says it to explain his own mistake, then I would just about never hire such a guy. The apparent tendency toward victimhood would be a deal-breaker for me.

On the other hand, if the "application error" was *not* due to Mejia's own error and *was* due to the Univ. of Illinois, then Mejia is just another bad writer/communicator, and then I would dislike that, but I would not hold it as much against him.

Reactions: Wrestler2u
Indication from the Hawkeye Report site is that the mistake was made by Clovis High School.

Other indications from HR. Teasdale still considering Iowa. RBY considering Iowa. Imar coming to Iowa. Cael can't coach. BS has closed the gap on Zain. Brooks will get Bo next time. Team race is close. Should be a close dual with PSU. The list is too long to continue, but you see the rationale behind my not always believing what HR has to say. HR is like PD1-PD200 all wrapped into one big ball of group think.

That Gilman/Clark combo worked out just fine for the blackbirds. No reason to believe this kid and Spencer can't give the birds a solid one two start.

Clark is huge compared to Mejia, so I don't think it's an apposite comparison.

Darryl Vasquez I think was his name. I was at that Dapper Dan also. always remember Baglio. Somebody decked a kid from Washington that was like 180-0.
My son wrestled in the Redland youth program for a short time when I was transferred to work in the area. I didn't remember Baglio wrestled for them until I saw his picture hanging on the wrestling room wall.

Indication from the Hawkeye Report site is that the mistake was made by Clovis High School.

Yeah, sure.

Couldn't have been that Mejia's admission into Illinois was contingent on completing certain courses or maintaining some minimum GPA, stipulations that he failed to meet? Nah, must have been a random, careless error on the part of his high school, which by the way sends plenty of their graduates onto college, including a number into college athletic programs.

(417ebc12b13808854dcc86bf00a8966d_f2269.jpeg).

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyons212
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT