ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile in western Pennsyltucky

Anyone else seeing a lot of ticks already?
A couple neighbor dogs picked up ticks ar a nearby park in the Philly suburbs. This park is more like an elementary school athletics field, only without the school adjacent to it. You don't exactly need a machete to walk thru it.

sasquatch-big-foot-social-distancing-world-champion.jpg
That's Darryl.

I never had a tick or chiggers until moving to SC. I'm terrified by ticks, having seen what it can do to a person many years ago before Lyme was widely recognized. I find about1-2 on me every year but usually find them before they have a chance to embed.

Chiggers (red bugs) are nasty, too. If you get into an infestation you may not know they are on you until it is too late. I was working close to the coast in some moderate brush one day and when I got back to my hotel my ankles were covered in rows upon rows of chigger bites. They had moved down through my socks and boots and I never noticed a thing. Nothing would stop the stinging and burning sensation and it took about 6 months before the bite marks were no longer visible.

PA is lucky there are no fire ants. I've inadvertently stepped on their mounds and had swarms climb up my legs. Seems like the first one doesn't bite, but they wait until many are on you and all seem to bite at once. I've had to shed my pants more than once (in public) to get to them. To top things off, if you get one fire ant bite, you spend the rest of the day thinking you are feeling one every time a single hair on your body gets bent the wrong way

I never had a tick or chiggers until moving to SC. I'm terrified by ticks, having seen what it can do to a person many years ago before Lyme was widely recognized. I find about1-2 on me every year but usually find them before they have a chance to embed.

Chiggers (red bugs) are nasty, too. If you get into an infestation you may not know they are on you until it is too late. I was working close to the coast in some moderate brush one day and when I got back to my hotel my ankles were covered in rows upon rows of chigger bites. They had moved down through my socks and boots and I never noticed a thing. Nothing would stop the stinging and burning sensation and it took about 6 months before the bite marks were no longer visible.

PA is lucky there are no fire ants. I've inadvertently stepped on their mounds and had swarms climb up my legs. Seems like the first one doesn't bite, but they wait until many are on you and all seem to bite at once. I've had to shed my pants more than once (in public) to get to them. To top things off, if you get one fire ant bite, you spend the rest of the day thinking you are feeling one every time a single hair on your body gets bent the wrong way

I got chigger bites may years ago at a family reunion all over my feet up to my ankles. NOT FUN. I spent 6 weeks or so in hell from those.

Reactions: palmettolion
Can tell I dont get around much...this was a f** read all the way through.

Our blueberries at my parents are 20+ years old and still kick'n it.

Mom brought down some blueberry cake for fathers day. With some milk is fantastic. Cherry's in the same cake is fantastic too.

No vacation photos, but here's a video of one of my old science experiments conduced while listening to JB.

Next week! Taking an RV to MI and going to Mackinaw Island... It seemed like a safer vacation bet with everything going on.

Four weeks ago I had a hankering for Mackinac Island fudge, the best in the world. I ordered three different types online. They screwed up the order and I received two of one type and a third. I wrote them and told them there was a packaging error but all was good, I enjoyed what they sent none the less.

They still sent me the replacement. The replacement was not the peanutbutter that I first ordered but the again sent a fourth slice of chocolate walnut fudge.

PSUer1989, can you please procure me a slice of Mackinac Island peanutbutter fudge.

I will reimburse you and a fair number of likes could be in the deal!

Reactions: PSUer1989
Next week! Taking an RV to MI and going to Mackinaw Island... It seemed like a safer vacation bet with everything going on.

Have a great time, PSUer1989. I'm sure you're aware there is a Mackinaw City and a Mackinac Island in Michigan. Both have their (+/-'s) yet are very different places. The upper tip of the lower Peninsula of MI has some of the most scenic coastal small towns of anywhere in the USA. From Mackinaw City, I would recommend considering day trips to Mackinac Island, Charlevoix, Traverse City and Cheboygan (among others). Also, either on the way up or the way home you may want to consider spending some time in Frankenmuth as well. It is right off of (75) and about 200 miles south of Mackinaw City.

Mackinac Island is beautiful one of my favorite places to visit.

Four weeks ago I had a hankering for Mackinac Island fudge, the best in the world. I ordered three different types online. They screwed up the order and I received two of one type and a third. I wrote them and told them there was a packaging error but all was good, I enjoyed what they sent none the less.

They still sent me the replacement. The replacement was not the peanutbutter that I first ordered but the again sent a fourth slice of chocolate walnut fudge.

PSUer1989, can you please procure me a slice of Mackinac Island peanutbutter fudge.

I will reimburse you and a fair number of likes could be in the deal!
I will most certainly buy you some. However, I doubt I make it out of the state of MI without eating the whole thing:rolleyes:

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Have a great time, PSUer1989. I'm sure you're aware there is a Mackinaw City and a Mackinac Island in Michigan. Both have their (+/-'s) yet are very different places. The upper tip of the lower Peninsula of MI has some of the most scenic coastal small towns of anywhere in the USA. From Mackinaw City, I would recommend considering day trips to Mackinac Island, Charlevoix, Traverse City and Cheboygan (among others). Also, either on the way up or the way home you may want to consider spending some time in Frankenmuth as well. It is right off of (75) and about 200 miles south of Mackinaw City.

We are camping in MC and want to take the ferry over to M.I. This is our first time so I am sure we will miss some great sites (only have a few days) but that just means we will need another trip!

We vacation on Lake Walloon every summer. It is between Charlevoix and Petoskey. Northern Michigan is my favorite place in the US. Breathtaking scenery, amazing food and weather.

Reactions: Needanap
Now we're talking. This is what a Wrestling forum is all about - vacations, fudge, woodpeckers, blueberry cake. And an occasional disdain of a perennial top ten team. It's all about FUN. No matter how long they try or how many episodes with canned interviews they do, HReport and Flo will never understand Penn State Wrestling, the coaches or its fans. Especially the fans.

Now we're talking. This is what a Wrestling forum is all about - vacations, fudge, woodpeckers, blueberry cake. And an occasional disdain of a perennial top ten team. It's all about FUN. No matter how long they try or how many episodes with canned interviews they do, HReport and Flo will never understand Penn State Wrestling, the coaches or its fans. Especially the fans.
They may take our wrestling, but they’ll never take our FUN!!! :) #bluewhite
braveheart_1.jpg

We are camping in MC and want to take the ferry over to M.I. This is our first time so I am sure we will miss some great sites (only have a few days) but that just means we will need another trip!

Transportation on the island is limited to bikes and horse drawn carriages. There are several bike rental shops on Main Street (close to the ferry terminal) or you can bring your own bikes over on the ferry. At around 8 miles, the bike loop around the island is an easy (flat - less than 20 feet above "lake level") and enjoyable way to experience the perimeter of the island. Most of the island is wooded and rises up to a bluff as you proceed inland. Wear comfortable shoes and your Fitbit as walking will likely be your main means of transportation. If you are planning on making several ferry trips to the island you may want to look into getting a weekly pass.

The entire island is beautiful and worthy of exploration. With limited time, I would prioritize the following and plan on taking at least one carriage ride.

The Grand Hotel - An incredible historic building and worth the trip alone. Look into taking a historical tour of the hotel. The family that owned the hotel sold to an investment group a year or so ago and I'm not sure if the tours are still offered. If you plan on dining at one of the hotels restaurants look into reservations and dress code (I'm not sure of the exact time but I believe sport coats and ties are required after 5 PM). Don't forget to rest your feet while sitting in one of the rocking chairs on the 660 foot front porch.

Walking Main and Market Streets - (Fudge Shops)

Victorian Mansions and Gardens- The island is full of beautiful buildings and mansions with beautifully landscaped gardens and flowers everywhere. Many of the mansions are located on the East and West bluffs overlooking Main Street. When you visit The Grand Hotel proceed on West Bluff Road (immediately in from of the hotel) to the end of the hotel and you will come to the first mansion.

Fort Mackinac - British Revolutionary War fort and later was used by the US in the war of 1812. If you visit the Fort the East Bluff mansions are within easy walking distance. The fort itself sits high on the bluff above the marina.

Arch Rock - A natural limestone arch that overlooks Lake Huron. Can be reached by walking/bike trails or by scaling a several flights of steps located just off the Island Loop bike path.

Flower Gardens at the Iroquois Hotel.

Four historical churches

Have a great trip.

Transportation on the island is limited to bikes and horse drawn carriages. There are several bike rental shops on Main Street (close to the ferry terminal) or you can bring your own bikes over on the ferry. At around 8 miles, the bike loop around the island is an easy (flat - less than 20 feet above "lake level") and enjoyable way to experience the perimeter of the island. Most of the island is wooded and rises up to a bluff as you proceed inland. Wear comfortable shoes and your Fitbit as walking will likely be your main means of transportation. If you are planning on making several ferry trips to the island you may want to look into getting a weekly pass.

The entire island is beautiful and worthy of exploration. With limited time, I would prioritize the following and plan on taking at least one carriage ride.

The Grand Hotel - An incredible historic building and worth the trip alone. Look into taking a historical tour of the hotel. The family that owned the hotel sold to an investment group a year or so ago and I'm not sure if the tours are still offered. If you plan on dining at one of the hotels restaurants look into reservations and dress code (I'm not sure of the exact time but I believe sport coats and ties are required after 5 PM). Don't forget to rest your feet while sitting in one of the rocking chairs on the 660 foot front porch.

Walking Main and Market Streets - (Fudge Shops)

Victorian Mansions and Gardens- The island is full of beautiful buildings and mansions with beautifully landscaped gardens and flowers everywhere. Many of the mansions are located on the East and West bluffs overlooking Main Street. When you visit The Grand Hotel proceed on West Bluff Road (immediately in from of the hotel) to the end of the hotel and you will come to the first mansion.

Fort Mackinac - British Revolutionary War fort and later was used by the US in the war of 1812. If you visit the Fort the East Bluff mansions are within easy walking distance. The fort itself sits high on the bluff above the marina.

Arch Rock - A natural limestone arch that overlooks Lake Huron. Can be reached by walking/bike trails or by scaling a several flights of steps located just off the Island Loop bike path.

Flower Gardens at the Iroquois Hotel.

Four historical churches

Have a great trip.

Thanks! The bike trip around the island is a definite for me!

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT