ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile in western Pennsyltucky

Conewago

Jul 10, 2017
Stick with it long enough to hear him describe a sound as "ape mixed with fake owl."

I laughed.

Reactions: nittinsc
We already know there are some strange creatures in Westmoreland County, in fact, some of them post on this board.

I've spent plenty of time in the woods at all hours of the day and night. and heard lots of unidentified sounds that were eerie at the time. I'm sure none of them were Bigfoot, though.

Anyone hearing the call of a pileated woodpecker for the first time thinks they've been transported into a Tarzan movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU Mike
I bought a piece of property a year and half ago. The realtor we used also produces one of those bigfoot shows on discovery or one of those channels. They go wander in the woods for a few days hoping to hear something strange. Fairly certain he didn't truly believe but it was his money maker.

Reactions: danoftw
I sit in a lot of deer stands here in Iowa. Usually hear 1 or 2 per year. I now know what they are.

Great. Depending on the type of land you hunt there may not be many in the area. They need mature woodlands and a pair needs somewhere around 50 -100 more of less contiguous wooded acres for their home territory. I imagine they would be more common in the southern portion of Iowa.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
One of the scariest sounds I've experienced was early one morning when I stepped out onto the carport and startled about 25 young hogs that had escaped from somewhere and were hiding around my truck. That's about the closest I ever came to crapping my shorts.

Reactions: Ja1339
Had a female Pileated come to my feeder three weeks ago. Been here 20 years. Only in two of those years have I attracted a Pileated. Awesome birds.
We have 11 acres up in the mountains kinda near Benton, we see pileated woodpeckers very regularly.

Who'd have thought this thread would have gone to the birds?

Spring turkey season approaching - social distancing approved.

Reactions: yekrut321
One of the scariest sounds I've experienced was early one morning when I stepped out onto the carport and startled about 25 young hogs that had escaped from somewhere and were hiding around my truck. That's about the closest I ever came to crapping my shorts.

Apparently you’ve never heard pawrestlerintn’s futile attempt at masking a fart with a cough.

We have 11 acres up in the mountains kinda near Benton, we see pileated woodpeckers very regularly.
I have at least one near my house. I took a few pics of one absolutely tearing apart a half dead tree about 50 feet from my back porch. It was sending wood chips flying everywhere. Kind of incredible to see.

We already know there are some strange creatures in Westmoreland County, in fact, some of them post on this board.

I've spent plenty of time in the woods at all hours of the day and night. and heard lots of unidentified sounds that were eerie at the time. I'm sure none of them were Bigfoot, though.

I am heterosexual so it's hard for me to imagine what you are describing...but your experience sounds more like a Broke Back Mountain type of thing...

I am heterosexual so it's hard for me to imagine what you are describing...but your experience sounds more like a Broke Back Mountain type of thing...

Not hardly, once I took my wife turkey hunting, heard one of those eerie sounds..........................................................................................................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, snort,.................................zzzzzzzzzz

Reactions: lionlover
About 30 years...think I was 17 or so I was driving home late one night and had to stop for something in the middle of the road. It was an animal I had never seen before....it kinda spooked me in that it didnt seem to want to budge , like it had no fear even when I proceeded to drive towards it. For next 25 years I wondered what I had seen and anytime I tried to explain what it looked like no one could tell me what it was. Then about 5 years ago me and my furnace guy got to talking about hunting and whatnot and I told him about this animal I saw and right away he said "oh...sounds like a fisher." We googled it to see a pic and yep... that's what it was. Never heard of them till I researched it and found out how they came about here in western PA.

Reactions: nittinsc
I had a favorite pair of camo coveralls that I liked to hunt in. Fit great, lots of pockets, and side slash pockets so you could access the pockets of your jeans or other pants. I split the seam across the waist in the back. I had been working lots of hours, but knew a girl who I would pay to do my laundry. I asked her if she could mend the coveralls and a few other things. She said sure. Just before sunup out in the woods I reached to get my turkey calls out of my inside pants pocket. After a few unsuccessful minutes, I realized that the side slash pockets had been sewn shut. My laugh might have sounded like a Bigfoot. Never had the heart to tell the girl what she had done.

I think the sound at the end of video was a red fox vixen in heat. Nearly every animal with vocal chords is capable of screaming when under sufficient duress. Raccoon and owl (rare in the day) can make a similar sound.

I have done a lot of hunting and camping in almost 80 years, but have only seen and heard a fisher two times. Fishers are reclusive animals, most comfortable in forest interiors and most active in the dark. They are very shy of humans and are mostly silent animals who make vocalizations like soft whines and chortles.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I think the sound at the end of video was a red fox vixen in heat. Nearly every animal with vocal chords is capable of screaming when under sufficient duress. Raccoon and owl (rare in the day) can make a similar sound.

I have done a lot of hunting and camping in almost 80 years, but have only seen and heard a fisher two times. Fishers are reclusive animals, most comfortable in forest interiors and most active in the dark. They are very shy of humans and are mostly silent animals who make vocalizations like soft whines and chortles.

I've heard some of those sounds but I don't think they were a vixen or a fisher.

sasquatch-big-foot-social-distancing-world-champion.jpg

Didn’t remember hearing about that incident. I do remember the 1977 double dye penny craze in the late 70s as several were showing up in Mifflin County.
Pretty sure the Bigfoot thing was even in the Lewistown Sentinel. Maybe not that guy's story, but other stories were floating.

I spent one very late night, going through all of my pennies, finally found the double dye, and it got mixed back in with my pennies a couple of weeks later. Thanks, Mom. Never looked again.

I grew up not far from the distillery where Large Monongehela Rye and later Old Overholt was distilled. I found the attached article interesting.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/old-monongahela-rye/

Henry Large acquired the land in the late 1700's from the Joel Ferree of the Ferree gunsmith family who moved from the Lancaster area. I was in Boy Scouts with a descendent of Large who still lived on some of the original family land. Spent many good times at the Old Large Hotel which has since burned down. After moving to SC I worked with an Allred who was related to some Ferree family that had moved south to the Ashboro NC area. Small world

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT