ADVERTISEMENT

McSorley only completing 53% of passes?

SpartanJD

Dec 3, 2010
MSU really struggles in short crossing and underneath routes (NW has killed MSU last 2 years with this) but PSU under Trace has been a throw it down field land let guys like Godwin, Gesicki etc go up and get it.

I’m trying to figure out an area where MSU has an advantage. If we can limit the big play balls and spy Trace that might be where we can find some success.

MSU really struggles in short crossing and underneath routes (NW has killed MSU last 2 years with this) but PSU under Trace has been a throw it down field land let guys like Godwin, Gesicki etc go up and get it.

I’m trying to figure out an area where MSU has an advantage. If we can limit the big play balls and spy Trace that might be where we can find some success.

Well I would argue he is completing closer to 80% of his passes and the receivers are in completing 27% of the passes.

LdN

Drops have been a problem.

And not quite as effective going downfield. Though, look out for #1, a guy from Michigan, KJ Hamler. Not a high volume receiver, but big plays....wow.

MSU no doubt will have to limit PSUs big plays. Make you ‘earn’ the points.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Bad news for you: He's on pace to rush for over 1,000 yards, which is like twice as much as prior years.

As far as deep balls go we don't really have a deep threat on the outside like we have had the last two years. Polk and Thompkins are too small to be legit outside deep threat guys and Juwan, despite his size, has never been a deep threat. He's a possession guy who is good on those 7-8 yard out routes, the slants, and the hook patterns in the middle of the field.

The fly/go routes that we've used to kill teams the last two years with Godwin, Hamilton, or Gesicki just aren't there because we don't have guys who are good at those routes who have the physical tools (speed, hands, size, jumping ability combo) to come down with the balls.

Where we could be good deep are post patterns. We've seen our guys make big plays this year running them. I can remember 4 TDs off the post (from both the slot and outside) that went for long TDs so far this year. We are especially good at those big plays from the slot and should utilize those kinds of down the field pass plays more than the fly/go routes with our undersized outside guys in Polk/Thompkins.

Our WR drops have been a significant problem this year, though. Johnson has always been sure handed until this year, and guys like Polk, Thompkins, and Hippenhammer along with him have contributed to the biggest drop rate of any P5 school. It's bizarre.

A couple of things. Our WR's have had a case of the dropsies and thats why Trace % is much lower than it should be.
The other one is that we now seem to run more underneath stuff than we used to but that just might be my impression.

As far as deep balls go we don't really have a deep threat on the outside like we have had the last two years. Polk and Thompkins are too small to be legit outside deep threat guys and Juwan, despite his size, has never been a deep threat. He's a possession guy who is good on those 7-8 yard out routes, the slants, and the hook patterns in the middle of the field.

The fly/go routes that we've used to kill teams the last two years with Godwin, Hamilton, or Gesicki just aren't there because we don't have guys who are good at those routes who have the physical tools (speed, hands, size, jumping ability combo) to come down with the balls.

Where we could be good deep are post patterns. We've seen our guys make big plays this year running them. I can remember 4 TDs off the post (from both the slot and outside) that went for long TDs so far this year. We are especially good at those big plays from the slot and should utilize those kinds of down the field pass plays more than the fly/go routes with our undersized outside guys in Polk/Thompkins.

Our WR drops have been a significant problem this year, though. Johnson has always been sure handed until this year, and guys like Polk, Thompkins, and Hippenhammer along with him have contributed to the biggest drop rate of any P5 school. It's bizarre.
DaeSean Hamilton made a living on the slot fade route last year. Hamler already has at least one touchdown running that same route this year, and that’s been our most effective way to threaten the defense vertically.

As others have said --- the "drop-rate" by PSU receivers has been horrifyingly high.

That said - McSorley can improve on things. The 4th-and-1 where the pass was batted down by the OSU defender - if McSorley "pump fakes" he freezes the OSU defender for a split second and likely completes the pass.

McSorley did have time on that play - and that was a miss on a critical play.

DaeSean Hamilton made a living on the slot fade route last year. Hamler already has at least one touchdown running that same route this year, and that’s been our most effective way to threaten the defense vertically.

Hamilton did run that fade out of the slot last year a lot. Agreed. However, I disagree on the most successful deep route. Polk, Thompkins, Hippenhammer, and Hamler have all scored deep TDs running a deep post. Hamler's was called back due to a hold during the Kent State game but it was still successful.

Polk - Pitt
Hippenhammer - Pitt
Thompkins - Kent St
Hamler - Kent St (called back)

Hamilton did run that fade out of the slot last year a lot. Agreed. However, I disagree on the most successful deep route. Polk, Thompkins, Hippenhammer, and Hamler have all scored deep TDs running a deep post. Hamler's was called back due to a hold during the Kent State game but it was still successful.

Polk - Pitt
Hippenhammer - Pitt
Thompkins - Kent St
Hamler - Kent St (called back)
I hear you, but Hippenhammer’s touchdown was a fade from the slot, too. Polk’s was more of a deep corner. Hamler’s touchdown against App State was a deep post, though.

That’s a really pathetic statistic. Hope that’s printed out and scattered throughout lasch.

Probably why all of the frosh WRs - George, Dotson, Shorter - were practicing with the travel team this week (not the Scout team). Some of the WRs need to step up or lose their jobs.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...rsons-Shane-Simmons-Pat-Freiermuth-123155695/

8730613.jpg

Yes, this is McSorley. No, he is not who you should be looking at. Note that all of Penn State's true freshman scholarship receivers — George, Jahan Dotson (5) and Justin Shorter (6) — were still practicing with the varsity. All are still eligible for redshirts.

Reactions: sarasotan
I hear you, but Hippenhammer’s touchdown was a fade from the slot, too. Polk’s was more of a deep corner. Hamler’s touchdown against App State was a deep post, though.

You might be right. They seemed similar to me. I guess we can probably agree that the fly/go routes on the outside should be scrapped with our current receivers. Unless Shorter can stretch the field in that manner maybe, but the guys we've seen can't.

The fades/posts from the slot seem to have worked a lot better.

and on the Juggs machine but most wouldn't know where it is

I think they’re looking at McAndrew’s posts of the overinflated ladies this week. Tom’s been this week’s “Juggs Machine” with his rapid fire postings!

A lot of dropped balls this year, Trace can pretty much throw it anywhere he wants to throw it. % should be over 60%.

As others have said --- the "drop-rate" by PSU receivers has been horrifyingly high.

That said - McSorley can improve on things. The 4th-and-1 where the pass was batted down by the OSU defender - if McSorley "pump fakes" he freezes the OSU defender for a split second and likely completes the pass.

McSorley did have time on that play - and that was a miss on a critical play.

Also, if he had grown 10 inches before that play he could have thrown it right over the defender.
That play was supposed to be what was attempted: a quick throw to the TE. You try to get cute with that type of play and trouble will typically follow.

He seems to (probably because of his stature) get more than his fair share of passes batted down at the LOS.

MSU D is ranked 1st in rushing marginal efficiency, opportunity rate and stuff rate (S&P stats). PSU Off is 64, 84, and 13 in those categories. Will be interesting to see if that advantage is present with McSorely QB runs. Your defense is actually good at limiting passing explosiveness, so this game may come down to how efficient PSU can be in the short to medium passing game.

You might be right. They seemed similar to me. I guess we can probably agree that the fly/go routes on the outside should be scrapped with our current receivers. Unless Shorter can stretch the field in that manner maybe, but the guys we've seen can't.

The fades/posts from the slot seem to have worked a lot better.
Those fades from the slot are all the rage in college and the NFL, and for good reason. It’s a great route against cover three, cover four, or man coverage, and with an athlete like Hamler you can make a whole lot of matchups work in your favor.

Its a conference game with real implications for both teams.That said even if the teams were both at full strength I still think Psu wins comfortably at home.With the condition of the msu oline Psu's dine should be in the backfield early and often.
Ole lemonpuss will be scowling the whole game.I also think Psu will run the ball relatively well.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and BBrown
Mostly due to drops. His accuracy has not been the issue at all.
Drops are a problem for nearly all starting QBs.

He's a "feast of famine" type passing QB. BUT his competiveness and running ability make him special.

He's a "feast of famine" type passing QB. BUT his competiveness and running ability make him special.
Actually his drop rate is the highest in the nation. He's the best QB in this conference and it's not even close. I mean any tool can throw screens all day long.

Pssssst, he threw for 66.5% last year.....so try your post again and think this time.

Nearly all QBs in FBS do not have to deal with the highest dropped pass rate in the country. In fact only one of them does. Go back to watching Haskin's passes travel 10 yards or less.

Reactions: acg116

Thanks for visiting.

I watched you guys against Utah State and AZ State. My advice. Put in the tape for AZ State and pray it doesn't happen again! We are certainly more capable of moving the chains via scrambling and passing than the Sun Devils. I don't discount our WRs having a case of the drops so far. We get it done other ways.

Trace literally had about 17 on target passes dropped in the first 5 games. Add a few of those back in and you'll see his percentage should be much higher. Trace is fine and if MSU's pass D is porous, he will exploit that for sure.

Reactions: TheGLOV and 81b&w

Man, you could have just said you haven’t watched Trace play outside of the OSU games. Would have saved a couple characters.

Reactions: sarasotan
Trace literally had about 17 on target passes dropped in the first 5 games. Add a few of those back in and you'll see his percentage should be much higher. Trace is fine and if MSU's pass D is porous, he will exploit that for sure.
There are dropped passes and then there are Trace's dropped passes. They seemed mystifying in the early games....like wide open receiver, ball nicely thrown, right in the receiver's hands, no effort needed drops.

Trace is completing more of his runs than last year. He has lots of ways of beating a defense.

He does. Through 5 games last year Lewerke has two games over 50 yards rushing and no negative gsmes. So far this year he has zero games over 40 and two negative games. He must use his legs often for us to have a shot

How many big play/td passes did he have called back as well?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT