ADVERTISEMENT

McSorley has NFL capability

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
when he is in focus and you watch his best reads and throws, he is every bit the equal of Matt McGloin who hung around in NFL a few years. compared to McGloin he is more mobile and reads situation better.

on his worst plays he doesnt look even like he should be our starter, which is i think where the debate starts. anyhow, i think he has the capability.

I’ve said here before that I think he can make a roster as a backup. Wouldn’t be a bad gig to get paid to stay in shape and hold a clipboard for a few years.

He also seems to have a good enough football IQ and leadership skills that could make him a good coach someday.

I think he has the ability to make a roster. Chances are he goes undrafted. He is putting up big numbers most weeks but he is working against his size when it comes to the NFL. He has one more year to work on his passing accuracy and getting the interceptions to decrease. He has looked uncomfortable in a few games this year.

That said, he is fast, elusive, keeps drive alive with his feet, and we are lucky to have him. I like Stevens and understand why people want to see more of him, but Stevens made two laughably bad throws in the game. Love the kids heart and ability to take on a defender shoulder-to-shoulder though.

He reminds me of Doug Flutie. He never truley got the respect he deserved as an NFL QB because of his size yet had 37–28 record as an NFL starter, including a 22–9 record in home games. He had a great stint in the CFL.

He reminds me of Doug Flutie. He never truley got the respect he deserved as an NFL QB because of his size yet had 37–28 record as an NFL starter, including a 22–9 record in home games. He had a great stint in the CFL.

Doug Flutie won a Heisman (for what that's worth nowadays). Best of luck to the young man. He will likely achieve great things in life, just not in the NFL.

when he is in focus and you watch his best reads and throws, he is every bit the equal of Matt McGloin who hung around in NFL a few years. compared to McGloin he is more mobile and reads situation better.

on his worst plays he doesnt look even like he should be our starter, which is i think where the debate starts. anyhow, i think he has the capability.

Ah, no.

You’re going to tell me Case Keenum can be successful in the NFL and this kid can’t make a roster?

I should have been specific that it would have to be a BIG season

Won't get a chance other than as a training camp body first year after graduation.

Beyond that, arena league will come calling, but that's more like a part time job. He probably will just start his real career instead.

TM is similar in stature to MM, and IMO a MUCH better college QB and student of the game. That said, I think he can latch onto a roster for at least the duration of a rookie contract.

Never say never but there are a lot of people after those highly coveted what 10 or less available jobs as a QB in the NFL.

I think you guys are nuts. McGloin did not have 26 in the backfield. Trace will get his degree and succeed somewhere not in football, and there is absolutely no shame in that.

From what I understand (from his classmates), Trace is very realistic about his future (and it will not include playing in NFL). I suspect he will do well in his chosen career. Let's enjoy his tenure as PSU's QB!

Doug Flutie won a Heisman (for what that's worth nowadays). Best of luck to the young man. He will likely achieve great things in life, just not in the NFL.
Agreed. Although without 26 on the team next year 9 might win the Heisman. Hell, if you look at his numbers this year, he should be in the discussion.

IMO, we are a 7-5 kind of team the last two years without him. The kid has made a lot of posters on this board look foolish since he signed with the program. I suspect he is going to continue to make folks who keep saying what he can’t do look foolish when he is done at PSU. Time will tell. I hope the posts on this board are archived. They might be fun to pull up and revisit in a few years.

Reactions: Cpeplion
I have said it before the NFL will always give guys with measureables a pass but the guys who win and "perform above their measureables" don't seem to get the same benefit of the doubt.

I hate to bring Hackenberg into this thread but he was a guy that had all the tools but performance wasn't commensurate. He gets drafted very high for what he put on tape. McSorely is the opposite. He has put a lot of really good things on tape and has many intangibles but his measureables will make NFL teams not want to take a chance on him. I am sure he will get into a camp if he desires, but he will have to do incredible things to get a legitimate look.

If you look at NFL rosters they are littered with big physical guys who can't play. Guys like Brandon Weeden, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, and Joe Webb still get jobs year after year when teams know who they are.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Forget his size and what he accomplished in college. He won't stick in the NFL because he can't make NFL throws, and this is the primary factor the NFL considers when sticking with lower echelon QB. Trace struggles to throw a 12 yard out. His arm strength is below average, and he will struggle with NFL throws.

I think he has the ability to make a roster. Chances are he goes undrafted. He is putting up big numbers most weeks but he is working against his size when it comes to the NFL. He has one more year to work on his passing accuracy and getting the interceptions to decrease. He has looked uncomfortable in a few games this year.

That said, he is fast, elusive, keeps drive alive with his feet, and we are lucky to have him. I like Stevens and understand why people want to see more of him, but Stevens made two laughably bad throws in the game. Love the kids heart and ability to take on a defender shoulder-to-shoulder though.
"Two laughably bad throws"?? Might want to check the stat sheet...Tommy was 2 for 3 with a TD...

Forget his size and what he accomplished in college. He won't stick in the NFL because he can't make NFL throws, and this is the primary factor the NFL considers when sticking with lower echelon QB. Trace struggles to throw a 12 yard out. His arm strength is below average, and he will struggle with NFL throws.

I think you need to take a closer look at the tape. TM routinely completes deep outs (including many from the opposite hash) with plenty of velocity. Notably, Brady Quinn was raving about his arm strength and ability to make those throws during the MSU game. And he was doing it in crappy conditions. But what does he know compared to some of the experts on this boards, right? Novice fans often confuse touch with arm strength. Like all QBs with a good feel for the game, he adjusts ball speed based on this situation. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a strong arm. To the contrary, TM makes numerous big time throws every game that show Good arm strength. Look at his first and second TDs to Gesicki last week, for example. Those were big time throws. If Sam Darnold made those throws, I bet you would be raving about how those are examples of why Darnold will be an NFL Star. When you are an undersized QB, many novice fans tend to focus on the bad passes and ignore the great ones. They also do the opposite for QBs who fit the profile of what they believe a qb should look like. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I think you need to take a closer look at the tape. TM routinely completes deep out from the opposite hash with plenty of velocity. Notably, Brady Quinn was raving about his arm strength and ability to make those throws during the MSU game. And he was doing it in crappy conditions. But what does he know compared to some of the experts on this boards, right? Novice fans often confuse touch with arm strength. Like all QBs with a good feel for the game, he adjusts ball speed based on this situation. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a strong arm. To the contrary, TM makes numerous big time throws every game that show Good arm strength. Look at his first and second TD to Gesicki last week, for example. If Sam Darnold made those throws, I bet you would be raving about how those are examples of why Darnold will be an NFL Star.

I am almost regretting my response, but I disagree. I hate criticizing Trace since he has been such a huge part of the teams success the last two years, but he had trouble making those throws. He gets the ball there in a clean pocket, but struggles when he can't step into those throws. NFL guys are expected to make those throws without clean feet and with differing arm angles. This, coupled with his lack of size will be a huge issue in the league. I hope he gets a chance to compete for a roster spot, but I think his NFL career will be very short.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I am almost regretting my response, but I disagree. I hate criticizing Trace since he has been such a huge part of the teams success the last two years, but he had trouble making those throws. He gets the ball there in a clean pocket, but struggles when he can't step into those throws. NFL guys are expected to make those throws without clean feet and with differing arm angles. This, coupled with his lack of size will be a huge issue in the league. I hope he gets a chance to compete for a roster spot, but I think his NFL career will be very short.

We can agree to disagree. I am a bit of a film junkie. So I know there are numerous examples that support my position. And he has made a ton of big time throws over the years from awkward angles. For example, Look at the first TD to Godwin in the Rose Bowl. He ripped a pass into a tight window that travelled 47 yards in the air. And he did it while sprinting to his right. That was the most physically impressive throw by either QB that night IMO. I I don’t know what his NFL prospects are. But I laugh at the folks who say with complete certainty that he has zero chance.

Last edited:
Trace does well when he steps into his throws. But sometimes he throws off his back foot when pressured, which results in the floaters. I think the latter problem is exacerbated a bit by his height. He also has a rather slight build, so he's light and rather easy to bring down on contact. In college he can get by defenders with his quickness. That will be tougher in the NFL, a much faster game.

I think everyone just needs to realize and agree that he'll be given an opportunity to compete for a roster spot but the odds of him being an NFL starter are against him...and heck the odds are against 99.9999% of all of society competing for that particular job. If he had Tommy Stevens body frame combined with his leadership and drive, He'd be a first round talent.

We can agree to disagree. I am a bit of a film junkie. So I know there are numerous examples that support my position. And he has made a ton of big time throws over the years from awkward angles. For example, Look at the first TD to Godwin in the Rose Bowl. He ripped a pass into a tight window that travelled 47 yards in the air. And he did it while sprinting to his right. That was the most physically impressive throw by either QB that night IMO. I I don’t know what his NFL prospects are. But I laugh at the folks who say with complete certainty that he has zero chance.

this is exactly what i am seeing with Trace.

Reactions: bsmith51
I think Trace is quite capable of being in the NFL someday -- first as an offensive coordinator and then as a head coach.

I think everyone just needs to realize and agree that he'll be given an opportunity to compete for a roster spot but the odds of him being an NFL starter are against him...and heck the odds are against 99.9999% of all of society competing for that particular job. If he had Tommy Stevens body frame combined with his leadership and drive, He'd be a first round talent.

Funny how he won't get the 'even' chance to show his talents here at PSU.

Indeed. That was an impressive pass. Not at all like the jump-ball passes he is associated with.

You spoke the truth sir and I applaud you.

IMO, we are a 7-5 kind of team the last two years without him. The kid has made a lot of posters on this board look foolish since he signed with the program. I suspect he is going to continue to make folks who keep saying what he can’t do look foolish when he is done at PSU. Time will tell. I hope the posts on this board are archived. They might be fun to pull up and revisit in a few years.
Was it Wimbush who went to ND after committing to us ? And isn't he the same HS class as Trace?

He could be a coach and likely will be successful in life...he's not an NFL QB. McGloin >>>>McSorley for the next leve.

ADVERTISEMENT