ADVERTISEMENT

McMurphy: Text messages show Urban Meyer knew in 2015 of domestic abuse allegations

Yea, I was the one who posted this will all blow over in a week. I am definitely ready to walk that back after listening to the ESPN Sirius XM guys. I think Urban may not make it.

Your mistake is in actually listening to what the ESPN talking heads say.

^^^ Doesn't understand that circumstantial evidence is evidence. Also doesn't understand that what "he's done to that school and football program" is irrelevant if he covered up for a domestic abuser.
How would he cover it up? It is up to the victim to file a complaint.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I think it's horrible how in today's society, people get blamed for the actions of others. So what, if Urban Meyer heard something about the Smith situation. You don't fire someone because you heard something about him. Mrs. Smith admitted she didn't turn her husband in because she didn't want him to be fired and now she's trying to blame Urban for not firing him.
It's the same principal as the Sandusky thing, all these victims and their families don't go to the authorities, except in the 1998 and 2009 incidents and everyone wants to blame a coach and administrators who got 1 report of possible misconduct.
I hope Urban Meyer isn't scapegoated over this. Don't blame people who are just trying to live their lives and do their job.
its not the crime its the cover up (didnt we learn that from Watergate). UM was asked if he knew, and he flat out denied that he did, well now it looks like it would be hard to believe him.

Reactions: ouirpsu
It's the same thing we all said for Joe so I'm going to bat for Urban. I'm not changing tune just because I don't like OSU. Neither coach should be/have been fired.
I'm not necessarily condemning Meyer here, but this appears to be apples and oranges.

Joe was told about a possible crime and reported it.

Urban was possibly told about multiple crimes and did nothing.

So in Joe's case, even if it a crime did occur that night, he's in the clear.

In Meyer's case, he's only in the clear if he truly didn't know about the crimes

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I think it's horrible how in today's society, people get blamed for the actions of others. So what, if Urban Meyer heard something about the Smith situation. You don't fire someone because you heard something about him. Mrs. Smith admitted she didn't turn her husband in because she didn't want him to be fired and now she's trying to blame Urban for not firing him.
It's the same principal as the Sandusky thing, all these victims and their families don't go to the authorities, except in the 1998 and 2009 incidents and everyone wants to blame a coach and administrators who got 1 report of possible misconduct.
I hope Urban Meyer isn't scapegoated over this. Don't blame people who are just trying to live their lives and do their job.
So why did he get fired?

I will be a little sad if he gets canned because that increases the chance for that weirdo in Ann Arbor of beating the Buckeyes.

I'm not necessarily condemning Meyer here, but this appears to be apples and oranges.

In Meyer's case, he's only in the clear if he truly didn't know about the crimes

^^^

Ding Ding Ding.

If you wanted something to "change the narrative" about JoePa, this is it.

COME ON PEOPLE.... we're not Illinois. Let the events unfold.

Ok how's this...

ESPN is now taking the tract "we have to let the story unfold." Which is fine. But where was such level-headed reporting back in 2011 - 2012? Moreover, the silence is deafening coming out of Columbus. I smell a cover-up in the making. As an tOSU employee Shelley Meyer is a mandatory reporter. That means she needn't tell her husband directly but she had best run it up her chain of command or that constitutes 'lack of institutional control'. The question at bar is as follows: is the act of battery on a woman any less egregious than child abuse?

IMO these words speak volumes as to what the priority is over there at the Ohio State...

"(Courtney) Smith also said that Hiram de Fries, who has the title of special assistant to the head coach at Ohio State and has been a confidant of Urban Meyer for years, told her in 2009 not to pursue charges against Zach Smith after an incident in Florida. Meyer was the Gators' head coach at the time; Smith was an intern on his staff.

'[De Fries] said, 'If you don't drop the charges, Zach will never coach again,' Courtney Smith told McMurphy. 'He's never hit you before. He was drinking. He'll probably never do it again. You should think about giving him a second chance.'

Courtney Smith said she felt the Meyers should have done more to help her. 'When somebody is crying out for help, I believe the coach, along with the coach's wife, have a duty,' Courtney Smith said in the Stadium video. 'They have a duty to do something to help, instead of worrying about winning games, or instead of worrying about who his mentor is and who his family is and trying to protect that, somebody's safety and the safety of their children and the environment they're in needs to be more important.'"

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24255877/people-meyer-knew-15-case

Urban and his wife are meeting with the AD this (Wednesday) afternoon. I imagine there will be a statement by the university in time for the evening news.

Agree and disagree. Did you read the text messages? His wife was actively telling the wife of someone who worked for Urban that these things don't get better and to leave. It is hard to believe that Urban's wife was coaching the wife and Urban was just going on like nothing happened. And why wasn't there an arrest? She had the text messages and, apparently, physical evidence. As I understand it, there was an investigation. By whom? And why no arrest? If you or I hit our wife and she calls the cops, we are getting arrested...count on it....Even if she recants, if there is any evidence of all of abuse, you will be arrested and charged. This smells and there is a lot of smoke here.

Why did Urban say he didn't know anything about it when it is almost a given that he did?

Agree and disagree. Did you read the text messages? His wife was actively telling the wife of someone who worked for Urban that these things don't get better and to leave. It is hard to believe that Urban's wife was coaching the wife and Urban was just going on like nothing happened. And why wasn't there an arrest? She had the text messages and, apparently, physical evidence. As I understand it, there was an investigation. By whom? And why no arrest? If you or I hit our wife and she calls the cops, we are getting arrested...count on it....Even if she recants, if there is any evidence of all of abuse, you will be arrested and charged. This smells and there is a lot of smoke here.

Why did Urban say he didn't know anything about it when it is almost a given that he did?

I imagine people in positions of power for a long time have a different sense of vulnerability than most.

Reactions: Cosmos
How would he cover it up? It is up to the victim to file a complaint.

Misconception. It is not up to a victim to file a criminal complaint. The police decide if they should bring charges. Then the prosecution decides if they'll drop the charges, and many prosecutors will drop the charges if the victim recants. So when Urban sends de Fries and Bruce to Florida to convince her to recant, it is an effort to get the police not to file the charge or for the prosecution to drop the charges, and thereby cover up what happened.

I imagine people in positions of power for a long time have a different sense of vulnerability than most.

More like a different sense of accountability. I watched Will Cain show. He asked ASU coach Herm Edwards about this; specifically, what responsibility head coaches have to protect 'family' from outside noise. Herm says they've a responsibility to "protect the brand." I nearly had an out-of-body experience. Is not Courtney Smith family? So in essence, they advocate putting the program ahead of its people, even to the extent of physical abuse. Where pray tell is #metoo on this?

Reactions: bmw199
The NCAA and B1G twisted the PSU response to Sandusky into an attempt to retain a competitive advantage by hiding an embarrassing situation so as not to affect recruiting - thus a competitive advantage. Sandusky had been retired for three years but the NCAA and B1G wanted some way to justify their involvement.

If reports coming out of Columbus are true, folks at OSU hid an embarrassing situation involving a CURRENT coach. Will the NCAA and B1G try to make the same "competitive advantage" argument? We all know the answer to that.

“I hung up out of fear because I was scared Zach would lose his job,” Courtney said. “He threw me down on the bathroom floor (in April of 2015) and screamed ‘look what you’ve turned me into.’ I don’t know what he was on. Another time, he took the top of a dip can and cut my hand. Everyone – all my family – said don’t call 911. If you do, he’ll get fired.”

The bolded part is what chilled me the most. Your own family telling you not to do anything for fear of harming the breadwinner? That's beyond cold. There is some seriously wrong people in this world.
It isn't just that he's the breadwinner. It's that the job/status may have been one of the the only things keeping him from being more violent. In a perfect world she'd be able to go to authorities, he'd be arrested/fired locked up for a long time and she could move on without fear. In the real world, people just like him get out of jail on bail while awaiting trial, ignore PFA orders and kill their spouse.

Well, in one instance he apparently did something. His “spiritual advisor” went down and talked the abused woman out of filing charges. So, that must count as something.

So all the coaches wives knew but kept the secret. I find that to be disingenuous. Rarely do two people keep a secret let alone a whole gaggle of them. And even if true it bespeaks of a culture problem at tOSU, which should result in sanctions. So I guess it's a choice of whom do you sacrifice, the head coach or the program. Finally, I find it hard-to-believe Urban and his wife don't talk shop. That dog might hunt in a courtroom but not in the court of public opinion.

Reactions: roswelllion
The NCAA and B1G twisted the PSU response to Sandusky into an attempt to retain a competitive advantage by hiding an embarrassing situation so as not to affect recruiting - thus a competitive advantage. Sandusky had been retired for three years but the NCAA and B1G wanted some way to justify their involvement.

If reports coming out of Columbus are true, folks at OSU hid an embarrassing situation involving a CURRENT coach. Will the NCAA and B1G try to make the same "competitive advantage" argument? We all know the answer to that.
Good point. No matter what the ethical or legal factors involved, clearly trying to hide damning information to protect the reputation and future recruiting ability could be associated with competitive advantage.

Also, when UM said that paraphrasing “we were not going to investigate and we will leave it up to the experts “ who are those experts?

Reactions: bmw199
So all the coaches wives knew but kept the secret. I find that to be disingenuous. Rarely do two people keep a secret let alone a whole gaggle of them. And even if true it bespeaks of a culture problem at tOSU, which should result in sanctions. So I guess it's a choice of whom do you sacrifice, the head coach or the program. Finally, I find it hard-to-believe Urban and his wife don't talk shop. That dog might hunt in a courtroom but not in the court of public opinion.

Of course they talk shop. Smith was a man they knew for many years and have counseled, so yes, there was obviously a close bond. Urban most likely was like a second father to Smith. There is no way in hell this sad story was not discussed amongst Urban and his wife.

It isn't just that he's the breadwinner. It's that the job/status may have been one of the the only things keeping him from being more violent. In a perfect world she'd be able to go to authorities, he'd be arrested/fired locked up for a long time and she could move on without fear. In the real world, people just like him get out of jail on bail while awaiting trial, ignore PFA orders and kill their spouse.
This is all very standard. If she reports him and he gets fired, she looses the income. Did she work outside the home? Typically, wives of coaches don't have big paying jobs because they follow their husbands around from place to place. And if there are kids involved its even worse. Then you have to add in that many people in positions of power knew, including the police, and failed to act on her behalf. Why? Because of his power as a coach. She knew this and feared it. Spousal abuse 101, really.

Reactions: ivan brunetti

In fairness to Urban in regards to the Florida abuse allegations, he was too busy trying to cover up for the murderous Aaron Hernandez to worry about a wife abusing assistant.

Reactions: GuStHeCaT
"I was never told about anything," Meyer said at Big Ten media days during a session with more than 50 reporters. "Never anything came to light, never had a conversation about it. So I know nothing about it."

Based on McMurphy's report, we now know that simply isn't the case. Courtney Smith told him, "All the [coaches'] wives knew. They all did. Every single one." And she had the texts to prove it.

Courtney: “(Zach’s) trying to make me look crazy bc that’s what Shelley is saying (he’s doing)”
Lindsey: “He (Urban) just said he (Zach) denied everything”
Courtney: “I hope urban is smarter than that”
Lindsey: “He (Urban) doesn’t know what to think”
Courtney: “I don’t really care. Ya know”
Lindsey: “Yeah, don’t worry about urb”

On the original Oct. 26, 2015 Powell Police report, a box on the form was checked indicating Zach had been arrested. However, nearly three years later – after I reported the incident last week – the Powell Police released a revised version of the report to the media and the arrest box was no longer checked.

“The terminology used by the Police Department was different in the original report (dated 10/26/2015) and inconsistent with what actually occurred,” said Megan Canavan, director of communication for the Powell Police Department.

Apparently
Urban knew.
The coach’s wives knew.
The coaches knew.
The police knew.
A police document was altered in spite of what they knew.
Urban’s mentor knew.
There were multiple attempts to conceal what everyone knew.
Now, we know too.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m all like this right now:

giphy.gif

Ok how's this...

ESPN is now taking the tract "we have to let the story unfold." Which is fine. But where was such level-headed reporting back in 2011 - 2012? Moreover, the silence is deafening coming out of Columbus. I smell a cover-up in the making. As an tOSU employee Shelley Meyer is a mandatory reporter. That means she needn't tell her husband directly but she had best run it up her chain of command or that constitutes 'lack of institutional control'. The question at bar is as follows: is the act of battery on a woman any less egregious than child abuse?

IMO these words speak volumes as to what the priority is over there at the Ohio State...

"(Courtney) Smith also said that Hiram de Fries, who has the title of special assistant to the head coach at Ohio State and has been a confidant of Urban Meyer for years, told her in 2009 not to pursue charges against Zach Smith after an incident in Florida. Meyer was the Gators' head coach at the time; Smith was an intern on his staff.

'[De Fries] said, 'If you don't drop the charges, Zach will never coach again,' Courtney Smith told McMurphy. 'He's never hit you before. He was drinking. He'll probably never do it again. You should think about giving him a second chance.'

Courtney Smith said she felt the Meyers should have done more to help her. 'When somebody is crying out for help, I believe the coach, along with the coach's wife, have a duty,' Courtney Smith said in the Stadium video. 'They have a duty to do something to help, instead of worrying about winning games, or instead of worrying about who his mentor is and who his family is and trying to protect that, somebody's safety and the safety of their children and the environment they're in needs to be more important.'"

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24255877/people-meyer-knew-15-case
I was only saying that in reference to recruits.

IN THE MEAN TIME, Urbs is nuking his email accounts, hard drives and phone(s). No proof.

just remember, if Tressel was fired for free tattoos, and Urbs is retained after allowing domestic violence, what does that say FOREVER about tOSU? Talk about lack of institutional control...

Reactions: ralphster
Urban and his wife are meeting with the AD this (Wednesday) afternoon. I imagine there will be a statement by the university in time for the evening news.

The entire outcome of all of this could be decided at this meeting. Is there any hard evidence that Urban’s wife ever told him? Will Urban’s wife take the fall for all of this?

IN THE MEAN TIME, Urbs is nuking his email accounts, hard drives and phone(s). No proof.

just remember, if Tressel was fired for free tattoos, and Urbs is retained after allowing domestic violence, what does that say FOREVER about tOSU? Talk about lack of institutional control...
It's Ohio State, for goodness sake. Urban is quite safe. Urban and Gene Smith are in fact meeting right now to determine if Gene will stay on for allowing this to happen without Urban knowing about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT