ADVERTISEMENT

McMurphy: Text messages show Urban Meyer knew in 2015 of domestic abuse allegations

Wish I could give more likes, wbcincy.
I have that same quote copied to put on here. Good you saw that same hypocrisy.

OL

The big difference here is there is evidence that Urban sent colleagues to talk her out of filing charges. So he didn't report it up the ladder and get out of the way, it appears he may have actively sought to cover it up. Yet he won't be accused of a coverup, and Joe was....

Gonna sort of combine these ideas.....

Urban_Returns.gif

Actually there is something that both Urby and Law
Enforcement could have done in 09, or any time thereafter, that would have most likely substantially changed this situation.

The only reason he has anything to do with her at all anymore is because they have kids. 1) Terminate his parental rights, at least for a couple years. There is ZERO good to be had from a relationship with your kids if you are beating their mother up or stalking her.
2)Require, as a condition of continued employment/freedom, that he attend a batterer intervention program for a year. He gets booted from that, he is fired/jailed. 3) Require, as a condition of continued employment/freedom, that he wear an ankle monitor which records his whereabouts and sounds a police alarm if he comes within the minimum distance of her home and work set forth by the court order.

But LE often does not care, and obviously, neither does Urban Myer.

I cant tell you how much I hate seeing LE treat domestic violence this way. I would say 75% of DV cases I saw involved recanting victims. This will sound like bragging, but I don't care, I am proud of it. I took every single one to trial or made them plea regardless. I won cases where the victim testified for the defense. You just cannot see those pictures and hear the report given to officers the night of and turn a blind eye when they recant later. If they cant protect themselves, you as LE have an obligation to. If the judge or jury believes the victim, then fine, that's their role. But don't just drop the charges because of a recant... Weak prosecution.

Given that "Sports Related Stories", until they are slathered all over the ESPN sets, don't really even exist to the bulk of the population.

Making the most of the symbiotic relationships between the ESPNs of the world, and the huge cash cow sports programs - like OSU, is the key for Urby and the Buckeyes.
If they can keep this from becoming a once-an-hour updated story on ESPN.... for, say, the next 72 hours.... they are likely home free.

Don't forget, McMurphy was fired at ESPN a couple years ago.
The way this shit all works, that may be a more important factor than ANYTHING OSU/Urby/Smith etc could ever do.

And ESPN loves them some Urban Meyer. They will either spin this story like a top or wont even bother with it. I'm going...Not even bothering with it.
Has there been a "ticker" yet on ESPN? I doubt it.

Reactions: stormingnorm
I cant tell you how much I hate seeing LE treat domestic violence this way. I would say 75% of DV cases I saw involved recanting victims. This will sound like bragging, but I don't care, I am proud of it. I took every single one to trial or made them plea regardless. I won cases where the victim testified for the defense. You just cannot see those pictures and hear the report given to officers the night of and turn a blind eye when they recant later. If they cant protect themselves, you as LE have an obligation to. If the judge or jury believes the victim, then fine, that's their role. But don't just drop the charges because of a recant... Weak prosecution.

They recant because they think they will die, in many cases. Leaving an abuser is one of the most dangerous things a woman ever does. And the protection for her is weak.

It honestly doesn't make sense as to why he would he even say he didn't know. I still don't think he gets canned for it, unless there is more there like he helped talk her out of police reports in the past, but why lie last week in Chicago. If he had told the truth it'd be no problem.

Funny how they're talking that Meyer's wife was a mandated reporter as a nurse, and should have reported it.

Yet no one in the media said McQueary's dad or Dranov should have reported it.
Blaming Meyer's wife? Apparently they'll go to any length to protect Urbs even if it means throwing his wife under the bus. Will he stand up for her and come clean or will he hide behind her while she takes the heat? Burn it down. Burn it all down. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BBrown
My prediction, and I am 100% serious...this all blows over in a few weeks.

Just like scumbag Dantonio. The media was fired up for a few days, dantonio said I’m not resigning, and the media moved on. I agree that the Meyer situation blows over. Makes you wonder what would have happened if the psu brass stood up to the media instead of backing down.

Blaming Meyer's wife? Apparently they'll go to any length to protect Urbs even if it means throwing his wife under the bus. Will he stand up for her and come clean or will he hide behind her while she takes the heat? Burn it down. Burn it all down. :rolleyes:

His wife is heavily involved in all this based on McMurphy's report

Urban should have just told the truth last week at B1G Media Days. "Yes, I knew that Zach Smith had domestic abuse allegations against him in 2015. But they were only allegations and not a conviction at that time, and that's why I allowed him to stay on my staff back in 2015."

I generally like Urban --- but this is going to be difficult for him to talk his way out of. He told a bold face LIE last week.
The guy should be gone. And ohio State is the sec school of the big which is why they are winning.

I think the outcome of this depends on how hard the media jumps on it. Meyer could be done or very quickly it could all blow over. The power of the media is ridiculous these days.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
They recant because they think they will die, in many cases. Leaving an abuser is one of the most dangerous things a woman ever does.

Less dangerous than STAYING with an abuser.

Urban royally f@#$ed up by lying about this last week. He should have just admitted that he should have fired him in 2015, and taken the flak. This is now exponentially worse.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
The guy should be gone. And ohio State is the sec school of the big which is why they are winning.

Zach Smith is the first assistant coach that Urban has fired in his entire career.

Urban's teams have nearly always been very good, of course. And loyalty to your direct reports isn't necessarily a bad thing. But the above still seems, to me, to be a rather remarkable fact.

Zach Smith seems like a guy that isn't worthy of anyone's loyalty.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Less dangerous than STAYING with an abuser.

Urban royally f@#$ed up by lying about this last week. He should have just admitted that he should have fired him in 2015, and taken the flak. This is now exponentially worse.
Not always true by any means. You seem to think "away" means "safe."

Reactions: Connorpozlee
I think the outcome of this depends on how hard the media jumps on it. Meyer could be done or very quickly it could all blow over. The power of the media is ridiculous these days.
The fact that ESPN has yet to cover this AT ALL on their platforms is a very good sign for Ohio State.

Reactions: ram2020
Zach Smith is the first assistant coach that Urban has fired in his entire career.

Urban's teams have nearly always been very good, of course. And loyalty to your direct reports isn't necessarily a bad thing. But the above still seems, to me, to be a rather remarkable fact.

Zach Smith seems like a guy that isn't worthy of anyone's loyalty.
Loyalty is fine, when it's deserved. I don't see that hear, and Urban obviously knew what was going on and didn't care. His program was imploding at Florida with problems which is why he left. He's the modern Barry Switzer. Trust, saban isn't clean either.
No one is that great every single year without ever having a slight rebuild.

Worth looking into Urban's "fixer"

A few days after Zach’s 2009 arrest, Courtney said two of Meyer’s closest friends – Hiram de Fries and Earle Bruce – asked her to drop the charges. Bruce is Zach Smith’s grandfather, de Fries is Meyer’s “life coach.”

That guy is still with Urban, and he is the guy that covered up shady shit at UF.

On a July morning in 2009, Courtney Smith sat across the table from de Fries, a former attorney and Shell Oil executive. Courtney said de Fries pressured her to drop the charges.

That aint the first time he has been involved in things like this. The real story is there for any journalist willing to dig into that guy.

edit2:

“Zach once told me,” said Courtney, “if he ever got fired and this all comes out: ‘I’ll take everyone at Ohio State down with me.’ ”

Reactions: bmw199

Very true. The court of public opinion (aka social media) is not rational or reasonable in 2018. It's even worse than when PSU had its internal issues 7 years ago. If the feminist, "pussy hat" wearing crowd or any of their ilk digs in on this things can get very ugly, very quickly in Columbus.

“Zach once told me,” said Courtney, “if he ever got fired and this all comes out: ‘I’ll take everyone at Ohio State down with me.’ ”

That quote is interesting. I posted earlier about some OSU fans worrying that Zach would spill the beans now.

Reactions: bmw199
It looks to me Meyer really stepped in it which is too bad. I have/had a lot of respect for him.

Meyer is not responsible for the behavior of Zack Smith. But when you find out about shiz like this, he's gotta go, whether he's related to Earle Bruce or no.

You have to call up Earle and tell him, 'Looka, you mean the world to me but I got bad news. Your grandson is a F-up and he's gotta go. Now. Today. And here's why'.

Meyer is the CEO of a major, major operation and he's being paid a king's ransom. There is a lot of responsibility goes with that. And when you abdicate that responsibility and start telling a bunch of easily-checkable lies, then YOU'RE the F-up.

What kind of real leader would put up with this? And from a Machiavellian point of view - kill one prince and the rest get the message. Every other person in the organization gets the message they better not act the fool. If the boss just canned Earle Bruce grandson for this, what will he do to me?

Sometimes things aren't easy. But you gotta do them anyway. Don't like it? Fine. Then stay an anonymous position coach at Youngstown State and nobody will care. Otherwise? Do. Your. Job.

Worth looking into Urban's "fixer"

A few days after Zach’s 2009 arrest, Courtney said two of Meyer’s closest friends – Hiram de Fries and Earle Bruce – asked her to drop the charges. Bruce is Zach Smith’s grandfather, de Fries is Meyer’s “life coach.”

Hiram de Fries - the name alone. He SOUNDS like the type of guy who would be a villain, married to a woman that owns 101 spotted dogs.

ADVERTISEMENT