ADVERTISEMENT

McMurphy Many Inaccuracies -- Where is the police report he accessed before it was sealed

If Ohio St fans really care that much about a great football coach winning them games, let them keep Urban Meyer. Meyer has a pattern of actions showing that he is just horrible human being. At UF he was cheating on his wife very openly with coeds about his daughters' age and that team was loaded with criminals that imploded as Urban left with a fake excuse. Now he rehires a wife abuser that he's known about for a decade to Ohio St and continues to protect the abuser even when all of the coaches and their wives become aware of a wife abusing co-worker. There have been 9 domestics involving police in this time. There is a police report from 2015 in Ohio that the police department says had been altered from the original form which showed the coach was arrested.

This is what Ohio St fans want representing them? Seriously? Because if winning means that much, then the Ohio St fanbase deserves every label that they will get in supporting the winning over wife whacking. I agree that Ohio St should keep Urban Meyer as coach. Because that is who Ohio St really is. Ohio St has 3 concurrent abuse scandals in 3 different sports all where abuse went on for years and years only to be covered up for winning. Ohio St has multiple previous football head coaches who have left in disgrace for horrible acts.... but they won.

So it seems that Meyer is the perfect coach for Ohio St. He wins and is a horrible human being. It is what Ohio St wants representing them. It is why Ohio St fans are holding rallies for winning while covering up spouse abuse. It is ultimately Ohio St's choice but if they chose to retain Meyer, it is perfectly clear who they are and they no longer have to pretend.
"At UF he was cheating on his wife very openly with coeds " I've heard this, and while I wouldn't be surprised if it happened I haven't seen any evidence. What do you mean when you say "very openly"?

"Aaron Hernandez caused Florida so much trouble over 3 years Meyer told an interested NFL team not to draft him. And yet AH was benched one game out of 40."

Urban had a poor record on these matters, which he has acknowledged. He has changed his practice at OSU, as evidenced for example by his handling of the Carlos Hyde and Noah Spence matters.

"Aaron Hernandez caused Florida so much trouble over 3 years Meyer told an interested NFL team not to draft him. And yet AH was benched one game out of 40."

Urban had a poor record on these matters, which he has acknowledged. He has changed his practice at OSU, as evidenced for example by his handling of the Carlos Hyde and Noah Spence matters.

"has a poor record", he hasn't changed as much as you'd like to believe given Zach Smith's continued employment, extension and huge raise, plus his need to lie about it. I know you think it's ok because "the abuse stopped after 2015" and what's a guy to do when the abuse is all in the past but no.

what is curious to me is Gene Smith's lack of voice. Could be that tOSU is deciding which one they can do without (or to scapegoat). As McCann noted, curious Meyer has been releasing his own PR, instead of coming through OSU.

curious Meyer has been releasing his own PR, instead of coming through OSU.

Not curious if he thought he was being made a sacrificial lamb. Also, the media is grossly uninformed and spreading a false narrative. (For instance that Joe Pa didn't report to his superiors and some assuming that CS could prevent charges if the prosecutors wished to bring them -- prosecutor's don't need her assent under Ohio law)

It makes sense for him to get his story out and try to get through the inaccurate media din. So far, it looks like he is throwing Gene Smith under the bus.

Not curious if he thought he was being made a sacrificial lamb. Also, the media is grossly uninformed and spreading a false narrative. (For instance that Joe Pa didn't report to his superiors and some assuming that CS could prevent charges if the prosecutors wished to bring them -- prosecutor's don't need her assent under Ohio law)

It makes sense for him to get his story out and try to get through the inaccurate media din. So far, it looks like he is throwing Gene Smith under the bus.

Of course Urban needed to make his statement on his own. Ohio State University lawyers would never approve 2 sentences like this:

"My intention was not to say anything inaccurate or misleading. However, I was not adequately prepared to discuss these sensitive personnel issues with the media, and I apologize for the way I handled those questions.

How can one not be "adequately prepared" to either (1) tell the truth, or (2) say "no comment"???

If I'm President Drake, I'm flabbergasted that one of my University's highest-profile employees is saying something so eye-rolling in nature.

If I'm President Drake, I'm frustrated in how this employee has embarrassed the University since his bald-faced lie 13 days ago.

If I'm President Drake, I wonder if I can trust this employee going forward.

If I'm President Drake, I'm frustrated in how this employee has embarrassed the University since his bald-faced lie 13 days ago.

You are not President Drake. Academic institutions lie all of the time. Check out Marquette and the free speech issue. Check out PSU and the fake Michael Mann investigation.

David Jones hasn't written or tweeted one word about this, correct?

6ca5bcbf5471bb944ad34801830654a2_400x400.jpeg

You are not President Drake. Academic institutions lie all of the time. Check out Marquette and the free speech issue. Check out PSU and the fake Michael Mann investigation.

Well - Michael Mann, the 2006 North Report endorsed his findings. The validity of the Mann "hockey stick" is at least arguable.

What exactly is there to argue about as regards Meyer's statement 13 days ago? He lied. That's a fact. That's not arguable.

The question now: "is President Drake comfortable with having a bald-faced liar as one of his University's most high-profile employees? Can President Drake trust this man going forward?"

I know the way that I would want MY University leadership to act in such a case. I have the e-mail I wrote to Penn State leadership (bot@psu.edu) on 6-November-2011 to prove that the position I advocated for in that particular situation. It's copied below:

----------

E-mail Title: May no act of ours bring shame.

It's time for you to do your duty, and take action against those who have brought shame upon MY alma mater:

(1) an immediate suspension of both Curley and Spanier.

(2) strongly encouraging the immediate resignation of both Paterno and McQueary. At the least, putting them on paid leave. While they may have both been LEGALLY correct, they both MORALLY FAILED to an epic degree. The football team will be successful even in their absence, we have competent replacements (Tom Bradley) on staff to handle the rest of the season.

Regards,

michnittlion (PSU class of XX)

Last edited:
Well - Michael Mann, the 2006 North Report endorsed his findings.

You didn't discuss the fake PSU investigation. Here is what Clive Crook, a liberal writing for Atlantic magazine had to say: "

"The Penn State inquiry exonerating Michael Mann -- the paleoclimatologist who came up with "the hockey stick" -- would be difficult to parody. Three of four allegations are dismissed out of hand at the outset: the inquiry announces that, for "lack of credible evidence", it will not even investigate them. (At this, MIT's Richard Lindzen tells the committee, "It's thoroughly amazing. I mean these issues are explicitly stated in the emails. I'm wondering what's going on?" The report continues: "The Investigatory Committee did not respond to Dr Lindzen's statement. Instead, [his] attention was directed to the fourth allegation.") Moving on, the report then says, in effect, that Mann is a distinguished scholar, a successful raiser of research funding, a man admired by his peers -- so any allegation of academic impropriety must be false.

You think I exaggerate?

"This level of success in proposing research, and obtaining funding to conduct it, clearly places Dr. Mann among the most respected scientists in his field. Such success would not have been possible had he not met or exceeded the highest standards of his profession for proposing research..."

In short, the case for the prosecution is never heard. Mann is asked if the allegations (well, one of them) are true, and says no. His record is swooned over. Verdict: case dismissed, with apologies that Mann has been put to such trouble."

See https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/climategate-and-the-big-green-lie/59709/

Also, about 3 years ago Mann filed a defamation suit in Wash DC and falsely claimed to have won the Nobel prize. Didn't even cause a ripple at PSU.

Reactions: Ski
You didn't discuss the fake PSU investigation. Here is what Clive Crook, a liberal writing for Atlantic magazine had to say: "

"The Penn State inquiry exonerating Michael Mann -- the paleoclimatologist who came up with "the hockey stick" -- would be difficult to parody. Three of four allegations are dismissed out of hand at the outset: the inquiry announces that, for "lack of credible evidence", it will not even investigate them. (At this, MIT's Richard Lindzen tells the committee, "It's thoroughly amazing. I mean these issues are explicitly stated in the emails. I'm wondering what's going on?" The report continues: "The Investigatory Committee did not respond to Dr Lindzen's statement. Instead, [his] attention was directed to the fourth allegation.") Moving on, the report then says, in effect, that Mann is a distinguished scholar, a successful raiser of research funding, a man admired by his peers -- so any allegation of academic impropriety must be false.

You think I exaggerate?

"This level of success in proposing research, and obtaining funding to conduct it, clearly places Dr. Mann among the most respected scientists in his field. Such success would not have been possible had he not met or exceeded the highest standards of his profession for proposing research..."

In short, the case for the prosecution is never heard. Mann is asked if the allegations (well, one of them) are true, and says no. His record is swooned over. Verdict: case dismissed, with apologies that Mann has been put to such trouble."

See https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/climategate-and-the-big-green-lie/59709/

Also, about 3 years ago Mann filed a defamation suit in Wash DC and falsely claimed to have won the Nobel prize. Didn't even cause a ripple at PSU.

And Penn State's final report on Mann was released in 2010 --- 4 years after the North Report. The North Report committee was full of scientists, statisticians, and experts in the climate change field. The North Report went through a rigorous review process.

If Penn State's final report on Mann in 2010 heavily leaned on the North Report? Well, I'm fine with that.

Back to OSU President Drake and OSU football coach Meyer. Meyer blatantly lied 13 days ago. That cannot be argued.

Last edited:
I couldn't care less that Meyer lied to a reporter.

What I care about is why he lied. Did he lie because he didn't want to deal with the question? Or did he lie for more nefarious reasons?

I know the way that I would want MY University leadership to act in such a case. I have the e-mail I wrote to Penn State leadership (bot@psu.edu) on 6-November-2011 to prove that the position I advocated for in that particular situation. It's copied below:

----------

E-mail Title: May no act of ours bring shame.

It's time for you to do your duty, and take action against those who have brought shame upon MY alma mater:

(1) an immediate suspension of both Curley and Spanier.

(2) strongly encouraging the immediate resignation of both Paterno and McQueary. At the least, putting them on paid leave. While they may have both been LEGALLY correct, they both MORALLY FAILED to an epic degree. The football team will be successful even in their absence, we have competent replacements (Tom Bradley) on staff to handle the rest of the season.

Regards,

michnittlion (PSU class of XX)

Your letter brings shame to me, an alumnus of PSU.
I see you like the Salem Witch Trial form of justice?
Or, Shoot first, wait for the bodies to be buried, and then perhaps ask questions later to ascertain the truth?

I also see that you advocate only for a suspension of the administrators, but a firing of the lonesome guy in the middle. What on earth did Paterno do to deserve to be fired immediately? He had about three minutes involvement in EVERYTHING that ever occurred. Jeez

Here is what I see when I look at this picture:

What day is it?
Where am I?
What’s my name?
Do I know you?

SMH
giphy.gif

reminds me of when they took the PSU owned gear out of JoePa's house and one of the items was a beige push button phone and a fax machine

il_570xN.1373977784_nq4n.jpg

Reactions: Cosmos
More facts please. Particularly would like you to support the reference to Soprano Strong arming.

They could have easily done it on their own and kept it from Meyer to avoid burdening him. Meyer could hire anyone he wanted as a receiver's coach, and it seems clear that he was only trying to do a favor for Bruce -- not unfairly get some kind of competitive advantage.
Could they have done it on their own? Sure wasn't Smith Bruce's grandson? Regardless, we still need to know what was the conversation like. Also the fact that Urban's life coach was involved makes it almost inconceivable that Urban wasn't aware either before or after, likely before. My limited experience with life coaches [had a boss once who had one] is they are usually tied at the hip. Hard to imagine this guy would go see Courtney without telling Urban.

Here is link to Zach Smith's attorney discussing many of the facts. https://www.koffellaw.com/columbus-...rney-brad-koffel-discusses-the-zach-smith-ca/

He says that the recent Civil Protection Order was grounded on Criminal Trespass and that CS's affidavit did not describe criminal trespass. ZS was privileged, according to him, to drop their child off when CS was not at the agreed place. He did not strike anyone prior to the Order being issued.

He also discusses the 2009 incident. Says that ZS was caught cheating and that CS attacked ZS and that ZS was legally acting in self-defense. Says case dismissed after 1 day or 2 and that ZS was completely innocent.

No one has to believe a defense attorney, but at this point no one has even heard from Shelly Meyer, much less Meyer (in detail) or his superiors, yet many people want to hang Meyer.

Also, Koffel is the head of a law firm with 6 attorneys and most probably wouldn't go around making definitive statements in support of his client unless there were reasonable grounds to support them. If he consistently misconstrued the facts in the public, he would lose credibility and the ability to represent others. He and his firm have received many honors, and the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys listed Koffel as one of the top 10 defense attorneys in Ohio. See link above.

So buck the only problem with this explanation is if nothing was wrong in 2009 why did Bruce and life coach feel need to intercede.
If nothing was wrong in this recent case why was Zach fired.

It seems Urban and G Smith want to say
. we were awarte something was wrong and reported him and eventually fired him
and also say
. nothing really was wrong as evidenced by no police reports and Z Smith's attorny's statements

or
. Urban, I reported thought the proper channels in 2015
. even though i was aware of 2009 and reported 2015, we took no action because we didn't thonk it was serious or credible

It just seems there is too much on one hand maybe the vic isn't credible or we didn't know and yet we were interceding, and reporting things along the way.

Here's my take on this...

Known Facts:
1) Urban Meyer lied to the media in front of a national TV audiance.
2) Later we find out that Urban kept a coach on staff that is known to have violent tendancies towards his wife for at least 3 years since what was at least the second known incident of violence against her.
3) If Urban did report the incedent, as he claimed, then OSU did not so a sufficent investigation into the incedent (we know this because we know that they never interviewed the victim, per Courtney Smith). Also, is there paperwork involving him reporting and the subsequent investigation???
4) Urban, by releasing his statement, basically threw the entire university under the bus.

So based on what we know so far:
A) Urban Meyer is a known liar, how can the university or any potential recruit (or their parents) accept his word going forward?
B) Parents who trusted OSU with their children, expecting Meyer and his staff to be their mentors, now know that they were exposed to a violent person, which was known by the staff.
C) Urban exposed the university to a Title IX investigation if there isn't supporting paperwork and sufficient investiagtion documented.
D) Urban made the university look bad rather then himself by releasing the statement.

I don't see any scenario where the university can allow him to return

Reactions: Obliviax
Here's my take on this...

Known Facts:
1) Urban Meyer lied to the media in front of a national TV audiance.
2) Later we find out that Urban kept a coach on staff that is known to have violent tendancies towards his wife for at least 3 years since what was at least the second known incident of violence against her.
3) If Urban did report the incedent, as he claimed, then OSU did not so a sufficent investigation into the incedent (we know this because we know that they never interviewed the victim, per Courtney Smith). Also, is there paperwork involving him reporting and the subsequent investigation???
4) Urban, by releasing his statement, basically threw the entire university under the bus.

So based on what we know so far:
A) Urban Meyer is a known liar, how can the university or any potential recruit (or their parents) accept his word going forward?
B) Parents who trusted OSU with their children, expecting Meyer and his staff to be their mentors, now know that they were exposed to a violent person, which was known by the staff.
C) Urban exposed the university to a Title IX investigation if there isn't supporting paperwork and sufficient investiagtion documented.
D) Urban made the university look bad rather then himself by releasing the statement.

I don't see any scenario where the university can allow him to return

good take...reminiscent of when President Gordon Gee, when responding to a question about firing Jim Tressel, said he hoped JT didn't fire him.

You think I exaggerate?

Wait, now I’m confused. We can trust connected lawyers, but not the media, but we can trust this member of the media. Is that close? Just trying to keep up with where you’re at here.

So buck the only problem with this explanation is if nothing was wrong in 2009 why did Bruce and life coach feel need to intercede.

Because ZS had been unfaithful to his wife, and if you accept the explanation of his attorney the wife attacked ZS while pregnant and all parties would not want that to happen again. According to Koffel, there are very plausible reasons for intervention other than domestic violence committed by ZS.

Also, with respect to 2009 if Koffel is to be believed, nothing was done wrong by ZS -- he was engaged in self-defense.

To address 2015. My position is that Meyer had the right to say to himself that he didn't want to spend much time on this and that if ZS wasn't charged, there was nothing for him to do other than report to his superiors under Title 9. If he did this, then he is pretty much clear, or at the very least didn't commit a fireable offense. (Maybe fine or 2-game suspension would be appropriate depending on precise facts developed.)

Wait, now I’m confused. We can trust connected lawyers, but not the media, but we can trust this member of the media. Is that close?

Yes you are confused. I am saying don't trust anyone, but that at this point, there are reasons to believe that ZS was not guilty of domestic violence in 2009, and that it is lynch mobbing to make the conclusion that UM is substantially at fault without hearing from all of the parties (Powell police, Shelly Meyer, Florida police, Gene Smith and Urban Meyer).

I'm surprised Clay would write something that stupid. There's a pretty good chance that the powers to be at Ohio State already knew about 2009, and had Urban hire Zach as a favor to Earle Bruce (his grandfather). Everyone pretty much knows that Urban didn't hire Zach because he was the greatest receiver coach in the world. He was a good recruiter, but so are lots of guys.

Yes you are confused. I am saying don't trust anyone, but that at this point, there are reasons to believe that ZS was not guilty of domestic violence in 2009, and that it is lynch mobbing to make the conclusion that UM is substantially at fault without hearing from all of the parties (Powell police, Shelly Meyer, Florida police, Gene Smith and Urban Meyer).

Silly. You are saying don’t trust anyone in the medi but trust the Atlantic on the Michael Mann case. You’re getting yourself all tangled up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ouirpsu
Here is link to Zach Smith's attorney discussing many of the facts. https://www.koffellaw.com/columbus-...rney-brad-koffel-discusses-the-zach-smith-ca/

He says that the recent Civil Protection Order was grounded on Criminal Trespass and that CS's affidavit did not describe criminal trespass. ZS was privileged, according to him, to drop their child off when CS was not at the agreed place. He did not strike anyone prior to the Order being issued.

He also discusses the 2009 incident. Says that ZS was caught cheating and that CS attacked ZS and that ZS was legally acting in self-defense. Says case dismissed after 1 day or 2 and that ZS was completely innocent.

No one has to believe a defense attorney, but at this point no one has even heard from Shelly Meyer, much less Meyer (in detail) or his superiors, yet many people want to hang Meyer.

Also, Koffel is the head of a law firm with 6 attorneys and most probably wouldn't go around making definitive statements in support of his client unless there were reasonable grounds to support them. If he consistently misconstrued the facts in the public, he would lose credibility and the ability to represent others. He and his firm have received many honors, and the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys listed Koffel as one of the top 10 defense attorneys in Ohio. See link above.

The 2009 incident was dismissed because CS dropped the charges. CS dropped the charges after DeFries and Earle the Bruce coerced her.

You won't hear from the Meyers because they're hunkered down in a foxhole, taking incoming artillery.

Any lawyer risks credibility for the big payday.

Silly. You are saying don’t trust anyone but trust the Atlantic on the Michael Mann case.

They are liberals who would generally be aligned with Mann, and I have heavily researched Michael Mann. In fact I wrote a blog post on his defamation lawsuit, spending about 100 hours on it because his legal briefs were so bad and deceptive it took a long time to untangle his spaghetti like deceptions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT